Personal legal representation

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gmfitter
Posts in topic: 2

Personal legal representation

Post by gmfitter »

I've had my CHL for a few weeks now. Looking for advice from someone who has, or has not been through this.
You fire your weapon defending yourself and/or your family, and the assailant is wounded or dead. In your home or not, doesn't matter. Who do you call after 911?
Do you have an attorney on retainer, a brother-in-law who is a lawyer, or do you belong to one of the "organizations" that
provide representation for a monthly fee?

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Personal legal representation

Post by oljames3 »

gmfitter wrote:I've had my CHL for a few weeks now. Looking for advice from someone who has, or has not been through this.
You fire your weapon defending yourself and/or your family, and the assailant is wounded or dead. In your home or not, doesn't matter. Who do you call after 911?
Do you have an attorney on retainer, a brother-in-law who is a lawyer, or do you belong to one of the "organizations" that
My wife and I a members of [Pre-paid legal service]. I like the support they offer, including local seminars. They cover all 50 states. My minor children are covered under my membership. YMMV.

http://www.[Pre-paid legal service].com/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

The NRA offers some great insurance.

PaJ

Post by PaJ »

oljames3 wrote:
gmfitter wrote:I've had my CHL for a few weeks now. Looking for advice from someone who has, or has not been through this.
My wife and I a members of [Pre-paid legal service]. I like the support they offer, including local seminars. They cover all 50 states. My minor children are covered under my membership. YMMV.

http://www.[Pre-paid legal service].com/
Same here

jmra
Posts in topic: 9

Post by jmra »

Abraham wrote:The NRA offers some great insurance.
:iagree:
Avoid [pre-paid legal] like the plague
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
gmfitter

Post by gmfitter »

jmra wrote:
May I ask why?

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I have Texas shield as well, I'm not sure how good the attorneys are but it will surely help you through the early process and you can get your feet under you until you can decide to stay with them or move on with different Council.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

jmra

Post by jmra »

gmfitter wrote:
jmra wrote:
May I ask why?
Do a search of the forum and you will find numerous threads on [pre-paid legal]' lack of transparency about the cases they've defended, their trial success, and the out of pocket expenses of those they have defended.
Have you met the lawyer/s that would be defending you? Do you know how many criminal cases they have won/lost? Have you had the opportunity to shake that lawyers hand and look into his eyes and say "this is the guy I want to trust with my freedom"? If not, don't walk away - run!
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

jmra wrote:
gmfitter wrote:
jmra wrote:
May I ask why?
Do a search of the forum and you will find numerous threads on [pre-paid legal]' lack of transparency about the cases they've defended, their trial success, and the out of pocket expenses of those they have defended.
Have you met the lawyer/s that would be defending you? Do you know how many criminal cases they have won/lost? Have you had the opportunity to shake that lawyers hand and look into his eyes and say "this is the guy I want to trust with my freedom"? If not, don't walk away - run!
I've never ask to meet with them so that fail is on me. I did ask when I signed up,if the attorney is a door knob can I swap out for someone else and they said yes.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
jmra wrote:
gmfitter wrote:
jmra wrote:
May I ask why?
I've never ask to meet with them so that fail is on me. I did ask when I signed up,if the attorney is a door knob can I swap out for someone else and they said yes.
Better check to see how many of the door knobs are stamped "made in China". I'm simply not willing to trust my life to a pool of attorneys I've never met.
This should be a simple request:
A list of attorneys in the pool
Win/loss record of each attorney
Average out of pocket expense for clients who have gone to court
Public records of the cases they have tried in court
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
jmra wrote:
gmfitter wrote:
jmra wrote:
May I ask why?
Better check to see how many of the door knobs are stamped "made in China". I'm simply not willing to trust my life to a pool of attorneys I've never met.
May we see this list from your attorney ?

jmra

Post by jmra »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
jmra wrote:
gmfitter wrote:
jmra wrote:
May I ask why?
I was given his courtroom record and all the other information I requested in a one on one interview. Those who were reluctant to do so did not get my business. Were you given the option of a one on one interview with the lawyer who would be handling your case or do they have a clue who would be handling your case. Are they the Uber company of lawyers? Sign onto an app and the first kid who just passed the bar to respond on the app gets your case?
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
jmra wrote:
gmfitter wrote:
jmra wrote:
May I ask why?
I was given his courtroom record and all the other information I requested in a one on one interview. Those who were reluctant to do so did not get my business. Were you given the option of a one on one interview with the lawyer who would be handling your case or do they have a clue who would be handling your case. Are they the Uber company of lawyers? Sign onto an app and the first kid who just passed the bar to respond on the app gets your case?
I'll check into it on Monday when the office is open. I have a 24/365 number for emergencies but normal questions need to be asked during regular business hours

jmra

Post by jmra »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
jmra wrote:
gmfitter wrote:
jmra wrote:
May I ask why?
I'll check into it on Monday when the office is open. I have a 24/365 number for emergencies but normal questions need to be asked during regular business hours
:thumbs2: My only agenda here is for people to ask questions and hopefully get answers. If you get acceptable answers to these questions and get a sit down meeting with the lawyer that would be assigned to your case please let me know. I would love to learn that I have been completely wrong in my suspicions. But until then, my momma always told me if it sounds too good to be true...
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I have prepaid legal service which covers me for other things like wills and real estate transactions, traffic issues, on top of some criminal offense representation. I pay very little for it through our group policy from my employer.

Bottom line, make sure you know what you are paying for and the support you will receive when paying for any type of service. Read the fine print, list out some questions you want to know the answers to like how many firearms related cases have you represented and how many won, etc. It is just like any insurance policy, you need to make sure it does what you need it to do if you ever need it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”