Ammo Storage in the Garage

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

Ammo Storage in the Garage

Post by BCGlocker »

Hey, Gang, I just recently moved to El Paso and my garage gets to 110+ frequently. Can someone tell me if it is ok to store loaded ammo and components in the hot garage during summer months?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

PBR

Re: Ammo Storage in the Garage

Post by PBR »

Personally I wouldn't store it in that type of heat but military loads sit out in more extreme heat than that -- I for sure wouldn't store powder somewhere it gets that hot

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_st ... dling.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Recommendations for Storage of Smokeless Powder

STORE IN A COOL, DRY PLACE. Be sure the storage area selected is free from any possible sources of excess heat and is isolated from open flame, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc. Do not store smokeless powder where it will be exposed to the sun's rays. Avoid storage in areas where mechanical or electrical equipment is in operation. Restrict from the storage areas heat or sparks which may result from improper, defective or overloaded electrical circuits.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Is there some reason you can't store it in your house or apartment? I have a walk-in closet in my bedroom and I keep it in a cabinet. The closet is air conditioned so it is cool and dry. When I was reloading I had some I kept in the garage which did get pretty hot at times. Never had any problems with the reloads. The powder and primers I kept inside the closet in the house. I personally don't think loaded ammo would be a problem at your temperatures as long as it's not in direct sunlight. Moisture and oils should be avoided also.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

I know two people that accidentally baked their guns. They thought that the oven was a good place to hide a loaded pistol, but failed to inform their lady-folk, who a little while later set the oven to preheat in preparation for some baking. The polymer frames of the pistols melted to the pan racks, but not a single round cooked off. You pretty much have to throw ammo into a fire to get it hot enough to cook off, although I recommend against doing so (it's a waste of ammo for one, and although the bullet's not gonna go far, that casing can pop off with some small velocity, especially with a good crimped case and cannelure).

Most I'd expect you'd encounter would be a small rate of failure of primers, and even then, probably not much. The reloading bench I had at my old place was in a sheet-metal shed out in the yard, along with all my components, and I had no issues. Same kinds of temps, too; I'm "up the road" and west a bit from you along I-10, so the weather is pretty much identical.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I moved to Dallas 2 years ago from Commiefornia, I store ammo in the garage in a locker. I haven't noticed any ill effects so far.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Weg

Post by Weg »

I store everything in the garage - guns, gunsafe, loaded ammo, powered, reloading components. In 10 years I have seen no ill effects. All the ammo is stored in ammo cans, and I keep dessicant in my safe.

stash

Post by stash »

Well, In El Paso you should not have to worry to much about the humidity. When I lived in El Paso I had a bunch of .38 and .357 stored in the garage with no ill effects.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”