G2R R.I.P. Ammunition...Thoughts?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

rentz
Posts in topic: 1

Re: G2R R.I.P. Ammunition...Thoughts?

Post by rentz »

go checkout some of the video ballistics tests of these things, IMO you'd be better off with a .380 than 9mm of this stuff which means its a NOGO

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I don't think I would ever buy anything from the G2 people. They have already shown me where their interest lies: not my personal safety, but their personal pocketbook. Here are my suggestions:

1) Forget the issue of caliber. NO HANDGUN is adequate to the task. Choose a good caliber and forget the "caliber war" nonsense. If you know nothing about calibers, find out what calibers law enforcement carries. You can branch out later. No offense, but when people say that there is only one good caliber, they don't have a clue what a good caliber is. Avoid such "advice."

2) Choose a proper gun. If you're new to guns, rent some and find what you shoot well. Just like gimmick ammunition, don't buy a gimmick handgun. You want a gun that is absolutely reliable, easy to operate, can be carried without needing a hand truck, can be concealed without consulting Omar the Tentmaker, and that fits your hand. Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more.

3) Choose ammunition based on what law enforcement uses. Do this at least until you learn what the requirements of a proper defense round really are. Spend time learning actual wound ballistics. Don't watch idiots shooting watermelons on YouTube. After you learn from good sources, you can find the few good videos. Now armed with proper knowledge, avoid anything that claims to do absurd things. Trust me, the only thing such stuff will do is make you poor and/or dead.

I won't go into belts, holsters, or the world of other things you need to learn. Others have covered these topics very well already.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Just carry one of these.

On a serious note others have pretty much covered everything. I personally carry Speer Gold Dot, 9mm. They had a good reputation. I would add that whatever you are going to carry shoot at least 100 rounds of that through your pistol to make sure it will feed well. I personally wouldn't want to find out in the middle of a gunfight that my pistol won't feed.
NRA Benefactor Member

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

joe817 wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:I agree with most responses and don't see an advantage either. A better idea would be to step up a caliber or two in order to increase the amount of energy a projectile can deliver.
A better idea would be to lose the stupid name of the round, use more proven SD bullets, and repackage the round in a non-descript box. ;-)
... or lets say pseudoscience can be converted to science with the proper marketing tool!
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

ShootDontTalk wrote:I don't think I would ever buy anything from the G2 people. They have already shown me where their interest lies: not my personal safety, but their personal pocketbook. Here are my suggestions:

1) Forget the issue of caliber. NO HANDGUN is adequate to the task. Choose a good caliber and forget the "caliber war" nonsense. If you know nothing about calibers, find out what calibers law enforcement carries. You can branch out later. No offense, but when people say that there is only one good caliber, they don't have a clue what a good caliber is. Avoid such "advice."

2) Choose a proper gun. If you're new to guns, rent some and find what you shoot well. Just like gimmick ammunition, don't buy a gimmick handgun. You want a gun that is absolutely reliable, easy to operate, can be carried without needing a hand truck, can be concealed without consulting Omar the Tentmaker, and that fits your hand. Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more.

3) Choose ammunition based on what law enforcement uses. Do this at least until you learn what the requirements of a proper defense round really are. Spend time learning actual wound ballistics. Don't watch idiots shooting watermelons on YouTube. After you learn from good sources, you can find the few good videos. Now armed with proper knowledge, avoid anything that claims to do absurd things. Trust me, the only thing such stuff will do is make you poor and/or dead.

I won't go into belts, holsters, or the world of other things you need to learn. Others have covered these topics very well already.
:iagree:

Especially avoid the caliber war. Use whatever suits YOU the best. You might like the lower recoil of a 9mm and you shoot it better, or a .40cal suits your taste. Just don't jump on any bandwagon like "ShootDontTalk" said. Each of us chooses our calibers accordingly, and some of us, like myself, choose calibers per application intended. Like said above, following your local enforcement's example isn't a bad place to talk. They're carrying them for one reason or another. :fire
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

AndyC wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:I agree with most responses and don't see an advantage either. A better idea would be to step up a caliber or two in order to increase the amount of energy a projectile can deliver.
Don't bring energy into this, you're making me twitch already ;)
Sorry for thinking loud!
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

EODgunner

Post by EODgunner »

I think you guys are really giving this RIP ammo a negative look. I can think of a few great places it would do great. Take for instance it would do well...............um............. .........well.........got it. On my local gun stores shelf. I knew I could figure this one out! But really this ammo is trying to be an expanding broad head and there are a couple of ammo companies that make a product that's better then this. This being one: http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/index.p ... zzlyxtreme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Now I'm not saying this is ammo something that's is good or that I would even carry it but IMHO it's better then RIP.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

EODgunner wrote:I think you guys are really giving this RIP ammo a negative look. I can think of a few great places it would do great. Take for instance it would do well...............um............. .........well.........got it. On my local gun stores shelf. I knew I could figure this one out! But really this ammo is trying to be an expanding broad head and there are a couple of ammo companies that make a product that's better then this. This being one: http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/index.p ... zzlyxtreme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Now I'm not saying this is ammo something that's is good or that I would even carry it but IMHO it's better then RIP.
Better than unsuitable is still unsuitable. And $42 for 20 rounds? That alone is proof positive it is just another snake oil. I just cannot for the life of me figure out the fascination with these pinhead "defense loads."

You're on solid ground using proven loads and you'll save money.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

ShootDontTalk wrote:
EODgunner wrote:I think you guys are really giving this RIP ammo a negative look. I can think of a few great places it would do great. Take for instance it would do well...............um............. .........well.........got it. On my local gun stores shelf. I knew I could figure this one out! But really this ammo is trying to be an expanding broad head and there are a couple of ammo companies that make a product that's better then this. This being one: http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/index.p ... zzlyxtreme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Now I'm not saying this is ammo something that's is good or that I would even carry it but IMHO it's better then RIP.
Better than unsuitable is still unsuitable. And $42 for 20 rounds? That alone is proof positive it is just another snake oil. I just cannot for the life of me figure out the fascination with these pinhead "defense loads."

You're on solid ground using proven loads and you'll save money.
:iagree: Yep, stick with something reputable, not something with a good sales pitch. ;-) A used car salesman can make a car seem really amazing, but I'm sure some of you know how that goes. :lol:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

All I see in that round is failures to feed just waiting to happen.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”