Anyone Here Own A Hi-Point 9 mm Carbine?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Anyone Here Own A Hi-Point 9 mm Carbine?

Post by Abraham »

I couldn't find much on the internet about them.

So, I'd like to know if you can get higher capacity magazines for them vs. the 10 round mag they come with? I tried to call them and all I get is a busy signal.

Are the triggers good / bad?

Accurate?

Yes, I'm considering getting one or forking over the dough for a Colt 9mm carbine.

No doubt the Colt is a better carbine, but I just want a 9mm carbine for plinking so spending a lot money doesn't seem necessary as I've not seen anything negative about the Hi-Point carbine.

Thoughts?

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Anyone Here Own A Hi-Point 9 mm Carbine?

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I have no experience with the Hi Point so I can't speak about it.

I have shot a Kel Tec Sub2000. I highly recommend them. You can get one that takes Glock magazines, so you can have a 30+ round carbine. They are also made for other kinds of pistol mags, like Springfield Armory, I think. The one I shot did very well at 50 yards using 9mm Winchester white box. It folds up into a VERY small package. They are sometimes hard to find, but owners swear by them. About the same price as the Hi Point.

BTW don't underestimate these little carbines for self defense, especially when traveling. Some Sub2000 guys report 9mm +P+ loads chrono around 1800 fps with acceptable 100 yard accuracy. Potent enough.
Last edited by ShootDontTalk on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

SDT,

Hey, great!

I forgot all about that gun.

Thanks for the helpful reminder.

I'm going to their page now.

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by howdy »

:iagree:
I too have the Kel Tec Sub 2000 and it is a sweet gun. They are kind of hard to find. There are a lot of good videos on You Tube about the Hi Point Carbine. One of those can answer your questions. One video said Pro Mag offers a 15 round magazine for the High Point but it will damage the feed ramp and void the warranty.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

joe817

Post by joe817 »

A friend of mine owns one. I was over at his house & he showed it to me. It is one heavy gun! Must have weighed at least 7 lbs. It felt more like the weight of an M1. But that's 9.5 lbs.

I wouldn't have one. For the weight issue alone combined with the caliber. YMMV.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

You're welcome. Good luck. Be patient finding one. Bud's gets them from time to time. Get on a list if you have to. I think you'll like it. If you don't, they sell for the same price, new or used. :cool:

Joe817...this is the Hi Point you're speaking of?

joe817

Post by joe817 »

ShootDontTalk wrote:You're welcome. Good luck. Be patient finding one. Bud's gets them from time to time. Get on a list if you have to. I think you'll like it. If you don't, they sell for the same price, new or used. :cool:

Joe817...this is the Hi Point you're speaking of?
Yes, SDT. The Hi-Point is the gun I'm referring to.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

joe817,

Thanks for the info.

I had no idea they're that heavy.

bigity

Post by bigity »

OP, do you work for my company? :lol:

We have one of those up in our silent auction fundraiser during our annual meeting.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I just looked at Hi-Points website and it says that it weighs 6.25 lbs. Not as heavy as I thought. But that was empty weight without magazine. Put a loaded magazine in and that would add another 1 lb, I'd guess...maybe a little more.

If it were lighter IMO it would make a nifty camp gun, or a plinking gun. I'll bet it's fun to shoot. I'd still go with something else, if I were to seriously consider a camp gun. But that's just me.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I've got one, but haven't shot it enough to really be able to speak to reliability. Also, I'm just not proficient enough of a shooter to be able to comment on trigger. I like it, but I don't have a lot to compare it to, nor do I think I'd really recognize a good or bad one.
I did a lot of research and got some comments from the Pistol Forum before buying. Hi-Point is not a name associated with reliability so I was a little hesitant, but the reviews I got were that this thing is a tank. Drop it in a mud puddle, then pick it up a keep shooting.
I tend to think that is accurate. I was shooting some reloads I got from a friend when I got a pretty bad jam. A cartridge had jammed trying to feed. I had a heck of a time getting it out. When I finally did I saw that the case had a bulge in it, where the bullet had been jammed too hard into the case. I checked the spent brass and found a couple of other suspect looking shells that had successfully cycled.
If you've got something specific I can check for you, let me know. If you're in the Texarkana Area you're welcome to put some round thought it. I visit my kids in Fort Worth several times a year, but don't have a trip on the calendar at the moment. If we're there at the same time before you buy, you're again welcome to check it out.

ETA: I won't be shooting any more reloads unless I get into it myself, or have a LOT of confidence in the person reloading. I've done a little reading on the old Internet and discovered that there is a lot of potential for unfortunate results.
Last edited by BigGuy on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

BigGuy,

Your generosity overwhelms me.

Thank YOU!

Sadly, we are many hundreds of miles apart, so I can't take you up your offer, but man, I do appreciate it.

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I've got one. It's great having a fun plinking gun that I don't have to worry about scratching or breaking. Works great. Not going to win any matches, but good enough for soda cans.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I just checked Bud's and Gun Broker. Wow! I knew the Sub2000's were popular, but the prices on there (GB) are nuts - 2X street price - $700 for NIB.

Bud's is out of stock, as usual. If you can find a new one, they are not only a great shooter, but a great investment. It looks to me like the most popular one is the Glock 17 with the Glock 19 right behind. You can also get them in .40 and that model might just be easier to find.

Even Hickok45 likes 'em.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I should add: I have nothing whatsoever against Hi Point. They go bang every time and fill a price niche that no one else does. I just have no experience with them.

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

I have one. The only downside is the magazine capacity...that, and it kind of feels like I'm holding a log with a grip and trigger...but otherwise it's a really cool little gun. Ergonomics are actually pretty good. Trigger is OK, not crisp at all but not completely mush either. Actually, it's probably the trigger you would want on a short little pistol caliber carbine. I had a 3-9x40 scope on it for a short while and was getting decent groups out to 75 yards (definitely not what this was made for). I now have a Vortex Sparc on it and love it.

I had wanted one for a while but couldn't get past the magazine capacity. Ended up trading into one and really like it.

Nutnfancy has a couple of great videos on the Hi-Point 9mm carbine. He actually likes it. :thumbs2:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”