Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Countryside
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Considering Ruger SR1911 Night Watchman

Post by Countryside »

I am seriously pondering a Ruger SR1911 Nightwatchman...the commander size.

I am leaning toward this one because I would really like to have a commander size that breaks down like a standard full size 1911 without having to use paper clips or some other tool. I have another commander size and while I enjoy the gun breaking it down is rather a pain. There are other brands that will, but this one is more in my price range.
The gun gets rather good reviews. Anyone here have any experience with one of these? I'd appreciate your input.

Eric Lamberson
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Considering Ruger SR1911 Night Watchman

Post by Eric Lamberson »

Every Ruger 1911 that I have encountered has been a well made and reliable pistol. I suspect you will be satisfied.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

nyj
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nyj »

They're hard to beat for the money.

Topic author
Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

Well, I looked around and found a gun shop that had an SR1911...the stainless light frame model. I realize the one I'm wanting weighs more, but at least this one let me get the feel for it...and it fit my hand good. They could order me what I wanted. He quoted me a price...over $900. :shock:
Went to another gun shop. They didn't have any, but the young man behind the counter said that he has a family member who has one and really likes it. They could order me one as well...just short of $900.
I ended up buying on-line. I would really like to support a gun dealer in my area, but I simply cannot pay out over an extra $100 if I can save it on-line. I ordered through Tombstone Tactical out of Arizona. $746 plus $5 insurance, free shipping. Even after I pay the $25 FFL transfer fee it still beats the snott out of $900.

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

I have the SR1911 CMD SS model. I love shooting this gun. Absolutely no issues with it whatsoever in the 2+ years that I have owned it. Congratulations on your new Ruger 1911!
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Topic author
Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

In searching around forums I have found an issue concerning the Nitride finish it comes with. I have read you have to be careful what you clean the gun with...some solutions can cause a discoloration in the otherwise very durable finish. It seems that Gibbs, WD40 and Simple Green are the preferred cleaners. (Of course, since you can remove the barrel you can use Hoppes or whatever...but gotta be careful not to get it on the Nitride finish.)

nyj

Post by nyj »

Topic author
Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

Just got it in.

I like the way it looks. Feels good in the hand. Hope to get out and shoot it in next few days.

Topic author
Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

Took it out yesterday. After a light cleaning I tried shooting factory 230Gr FMJ with the Ruger mags. The first round I tried to chamber did manage to leave the magazine but the nose stopped at the feed ramp. It took a good smack on the back of the slide to get it to chamber. While shooting I had it do the exact same thing several times within only 50 rounds. I tried only loading 6 rounds in a mag but it did the same thing. At no time did any of the stoppages clear the ramp. While operating the slide by hand the spring feels strong. It does shoot accurately. I have had many $450-$500 1911s function much better than this. The gun is nice to look at, to hold and it hits where you point it, but it has a stoppage problem. I'll be calling Ruger Monday.

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

If yours is anything like the Ruger LW Commander I just got, it needs some lube. I was deeply disappointed at how dry everything was shipped from the factory. There wasn't even a hint of lube to be seen anywhere. :nono:

I took mine apart all the way down to the frame and lubed everything properly. I had no issues at all and ran about 150 rounds through it.
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Topic author
Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

I did lube it after a light cleaning before I shot it. I was making sure it had lubrication. I don't think a 1911 should have to be drenched in lube to function properly.
I think I'm cursed. The more I spend on a 1911 the worse they seem to function.
With my luck, if I ever buy an expensive, high end 1911...the first time I shoot it...it will probably exploded with every round in it firing at once. :banghead:

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Right2Carry »

Countryside wrote:I did lube it after a light cleaning before I shot it. I was making sure it had lubrication. I don't think a 1911 should have to be drenched in lube to function properly.
I think I'm cursed. The more I spend on a 1911 the worse they seem to function.
With my luck, if I ever buy an expensive, high end 1911...the first time I shoot it...it will probably exploded with every round in it firing at once. :banghead:
I use frog lube and love the stuff. Have you tried a different magazine like Wilson Combat?
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

Yes, sir, I did. Same results.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Had the same problems with my SA Range Officer and my Kimber. The SA loosened up after about 200 rounds or so, dead bang reliable now. The Kimber is a 3" and took a lot longer to get right.

Topic author
Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

Gave a light cleaning and lube and took it out again on this nice Sunday afternoon.
Using a variety of mags and 50 rounds of new Remington 230gr FMJ ammo...the same issues continued.
This time some rounds did have a slightly upward cant when they jammed...and others stopped as it tried to enter the chamber. At times a whack on the mag and a good whack on the slide did not budge the round. Pulling back they did not eject and were a bit difficult to get out. One instance when I inserted a fresh mag the slide closed. I noticed on some of the empty cases that the top edge...on one side...the case edge was slightly flattened just a bit. I've sent an email to Ruger. When it does shoot I like the way it shoots...it just has a long way to go before being a reliable self-defense gun.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”