AR Pistol vs AR SBR - Which Is The Best Choice?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 7

AR Pistol vs AR SBR - Which Is The Best Choice?

Post by Abraham »

I know almost nothing about AR pistols other than you don't have to go through a bunch of paper work and wait time, or pay $200.00 extra to own one, and for all practical purposes you have an SBR with an AR pistol. Plus, if you want to take an SBR to other states you have to go through more bother than with an AR pistol. I think...

So, does the AR pistol provide greater benefit over an SBR?

Heck, you can slap on a pistol buffer tube adapter on an AR pistol (which is technically not a stock, but from what I see, is legal and it certainly seems to act as one) and also from what I see, you have an SBR, without the hassle or extra cost on an SBR.

Of course, everything I've stated is conjecture.

You, that know a lot more than I do about these things, please, chime in and tell me if I'm right or wrong or overlooking some important points between the two.

Thanks!

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR Pistol vs AR SBR - Which Is The Best Choice?

Post by joe817 »

Well, I have to admit that I know almost nothing about them as well. But I'd think that if you tried to put any kind of a shoulder stock on an AR pistol, you'd change the nomenclature of the AR pistol into a SBR. And that in turn would require you to go through the process of getting that $200 tax stamp, register it with ATF, etc, etc, etc.

Note: that is only my uninformed opinion. I'm sure some folks will come along shortly, and chime in.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

You can always get an ar pistol "arm brace". Good for one handed shooting and give you the sbr look, of course shouldering it would be illegal. :roll:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

joe817,

Thanks for responding.

In the October issue of "Guns and Ammo" Eric Poole, wrote an article about AR pistols and according to what I read, (assuming my reading comprehension is up to snuff...) the AR pistol buffer tube adapter, (which looks like some rather odd looking stock, but technically isn't a stock, thus it's legal...) so you don't have to go through the cost and bother of owning an SBR.

However, I started this thread to be certain I'm correct and to find out what else I don't know about these two AR types.

I know some of the guys here are far more knowledgable than I am and I seek their input.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Abraham wrote:joe817,

Thanks for responding.

In the October issue of "Guns and Ammo" Eric Poole, wrote an article about AR pistols and according to what I read, (assuming my reading comprehension is up to snuff...) the AR pistol buffer tube adapter, (which looks like some rather odd looking stock, but technically isn't a stock, thus it's legal...) so you don't have to go through the cost and bother of owning an SBR.

However, I started this thread to be certain I'm correct and to find out what else I don't know about these two AR types.

I know some of the guys here are far more knowledgable than I am and I seek their input.
In my opinion, the AR pistol is just an attempt to get around the NFA rules for a SBR. All of these braces that work fairly well as a "stock" and allow one to shoulder their "pistol" are even greater attempts to work around the law.

Dumb as the law may be, if you want a SBR then do it right. Do not attempt to work around it and find yourself a felon because you were seen shouldering your pistol at the local range.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I'm not seeking opinions.

I'm seeking expertise.

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ShootDontTalk »

This much about them is fact. The BATFE has ruled that these add-on Sig stocks are legal. But, just don't shoulder it and you're fine.

SBR AR-15's are finicky at best. The gas system is always a concern. Some ammo won't operate the gas system properly, so there is that concern.

The other issue is ammunition itself. 5.56 was designed for a 20" barrel. Half that barrel length does terrible things to the performance of the round. 1:8 or 1:7 twist is a must and then you still will need to run heavier bullet weights to get adequate performance on target. Fortunately there are some better heavy bullet rounds out now.

If you're building an SBR or pistol, I would go 6.8 SPC instead of 5.56 (sorry, opinion). This much is fact. The 6.8 was designed specifically to handle short barrels without losing so much performance. A lot of people like the 300 BLK. Based on the popularity of the round, it must be acceptable as well. Either one would make a fine SBR or pistol.

EDIT: One real negative to these is muzzle blast. There are few things on earth as loud as a 10" barreled AR-15 shooting hot 5.56mm ammo.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

ShootDontTalk,

Lots of good information.

Thank you very much!

sass2924

Post by sass2924 »

I built an ar pistol in 300 BO. Nice gun but it's not the same as a rifle. Sure you can use a sig brace but the latest ATF ruling prevents shouldering. Now that I can legally have an sbr I'm gong that route. For something with a barrel that short, either pistol or rifle, go with the blackout or if you want a thumper in a sbr try the 458 socom. You can do a 556 but you'll have a lot of muzzle flash with a short barrel.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

SBR, rifle-rd "pistols" are range toys.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Beiruty,

I finally have enough information about AR Pistols now to tell me, I don't want one. Plus, I don't care for an SBR either, with all the extra cost, paper work, and wait. Fuggetabouditt!

What I'd like to get is a 16" 9mm carbine, but all the ones I've looked into 'that interest me' are mega-dollar expensive.

I was interested in the Colt 6951 until I read about repeated quality controls issues, sigh, and it costs a mere $995.00.

I'll keep looking.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

State your requirements and you shall be served.
Get this and thank me later:
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/cx4-storm/

BNIB from here: $650
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 508594#PIC
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

rentz

Post by rentz »

ShootDontTalk wrote:
EDIT: One real negative to these is muzzle blast. There are few things on earth as loud as a 10" barreled AR-15 shooting hot 5.56mm ammo.
This right here, my 10.5" 5.56 sbr is really loud.

rentz

Post by rentz »

Beiruty wrote:State your requirements and you shall be served.
Get this and thank me later:
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/cx4-storm/

BNIB from here: $650
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 508594#PIC
those always looked nice, but have you seen the new SIG MPX those really look like they will be slick

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Beiruty,

Wow, they're beautiful!

Plus, I'd fit right in with any "Star Wars" soldiers.

Mucho Sci-Fi looking.

I will look into them.

Thanks!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”