Re: FireClean lubricant fight

Post by WildBill »

NRA Endowment Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote:
puma guy wrote:Someone mentioned a patent on FireClean, interestingly WD-40 was not patented to prevent anyone from discovering the proprietary formula for the new product "water displacement - 40th formula".
I think I read somewhere that the proprietary ingredient was Crisco. "rlol"
"rlol" "rlol"
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:"Ed's Red."

Chas.
My son's gunstore uses a lot of that stuff.

Formula: http://www.handloads.com/articles/?id=9
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

WildBill wrote:A single dose of nitrobenzene fed to male rats resulted in damage to the testicles and decreased levels of sperm.
I wasn't aware that the dose had been accepted as a standard unit of measure.

With enough creative wording, one could make fried chicken sound like the deadliest poison in the world.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Dumb question: When y'all refer to Hoppe's #9, are you talking about using the solvent or the gun oil or both? I have always used that solvent for cleaning, but the oil for actual lubrication.

I have recently been using some Slick 2000 EWL, but I haven't done enough shooting yet to say how well it works.

IMO, most guns will function without any or much lubrication. I would bet most people don't torture test their guns enough to tell the difference between the better lubricants.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 16

Post by WildBill »

KD5NRH wrote:
WildBill wrote:A single dose of nitrobenzene fed to male rats resulted in damage to the testicles and decreased levels of sperm.
I wasn't aware that the dose had been accepted as a standard unit of measure.

With enough creative wording, one could make fried chicken sound like the deadliest poison in the world.
This quote is from a government website, so it must be true. :???:
NRA Endowment Member

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Thinking about composition as I haven't watched the videos and I can' t see the links where I am at: We use industrial oil in our compressors. All the major petro companies sell the stuff. They all say their oil is better. If you look at the composition, they are all 99.9% mineral oil with small amounts of additives. Given that the FireClean is veggie oil based, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it matched up with Crisco for the bulk of the liquid. Probably most any veggie oil based lubricant would do the same.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MechAg94 wrote:Dumb question: When y'all refer to Hoppe's #9, are you talking about using the solvent or the gun oil or both? I have always used that solvent for cleaning, but the oil for actual lubrication.

I have recently been using some Slick 2000 EWL, but I haven't done enough shooting yet to say how well it works.

IMO, most guns will function without any or much lubrication. I would bet most people don't torture test their guns enough to tell the difference between the better lubricants.
I was talking about the bore cleaner [solvent]. I always used that to clean the gun after shooting and then wiped down the gun with a rag with Remington gun oil.
NRA Endowment Member

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Okay, I couldn't figure out if some people were talking about solvent or lubricating oil. They aren't always the same thing. I wouldn't expect Hoppe's solvent to work well as a lubricant and I wouldn't use the oil for cleaning except as a final coat.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MechAg94 wrote:Thinking about composition as I haven't watched the videos and I can' t see the links where I am at: We use industrial oil in our compressors. All the major petro companies sell the stuff. They all say their oil is better. If you look at the composition, they are all 99.9% mineral oil with small amounts of additives. Given that the FireClean is veggie oil based, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it matched up with Crisco for the bulk of the liquid. Probably most any veggie oil based lubricant would do the same.
One thing I forgot to mention is that Crisco is made of chemically modified vegetable oils so they are not found naturally.
They are hydrogenated which makes them solidify at room temperature.
This process can be used on corn oil, canola, soybean, etc.
I don't see in the patent application for FireClean that they use hydrogenated oils.
NRA Endowment Member

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by winters »

Although ATF is a lube it has a ton of detergents in it. I have used it to clean my supressors and it doesn't work that well. If you really want to clean something try soda blasting.

eureka40
Posts in topic: 4

Post by eureka40 »

I only use the imported lube.
TSRA Life Memeber

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MechAg94 wrote:I would bet most people don't torture test their guns enough to tell the difference between the better lubricants.
You're probably right about the torture testing, but what I do look for is how easily a product will clean off fouling - particularly where it has been burned on pretty good, such as the tail end of an AR bolt for instance. In that regard, Fireclean has worked better for me than Hoppes.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

eureka40 wrote:Image

I only use the imported lube.
TMI. :shock:

:lol:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”