Looking for a .22LR fun gun/rifle. Any ideas?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JRG
Posts in topic: 4

Looking for a .22LR fun gun/rifle. Any ideas?

Post by JRG »

I am getting a new .22LR gun/rifle in the next week or so and would like to hear from the group about what is a good 'un to look for. I have been researching Ruger 10//22 and Ruger Chargers, mainly in the takedown versions, but am not married to either of them. I am a full-time RVer and space can be at a premium in the RV. That is why I was thinking about the Takedowns.

I want a fun gun to shoot at paper targets, cans, etc. Simplicity is the key. I am not looking for a gun that will shoot the eye out of a flea at 100 yards. I doubt I could see 100 yards at my age anyways.

Any ideas guys/girls?

Thanks,
Joe

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for a .22LR fun gun/rifle. Any ideas?

Post by twomillenium »

If your looking at Ruger 10/22 take-down, then I can't imagine needing to look elsewhere, unless your going to get a pistol. Then the Ruger MK series would also suffice.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
JRG
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JRG »

I already have two .22LR pistols, a Walther P22 and an LCR . That's why I was looking for a rifle/gun. I looked at a Charger today, but with no sights on them, I fail to see the usefulness.

Joe

puma guy
Posts in topic: 11

Post by puma guy »

JRG wrote:I am getting a new .22LR gun/rifle in the next week or so and would like to hear from the group about what is a good 'un to look for. I have been researching Ruger 10//22 and Ruger Chargers, mainly in the takedown versions, but am not married to either of them. I am a full-time RVer and space can be at a premium in the RV. That is why I was thinking about the Takedowns.

I want a fun gun to shoot at paper targets, cans, etc. Simplicity is the key. I am not looking for a gun that will shoot the eye out of a flea at 100 yards. I doubt I could see 100 yards at my age anyways.

Any ideas guys/girls?

Thanks,
Joe
If your looking for a semi-auto you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. I used to recommend Marlin Model 60's before Remington (nee Freedom Arms Group) bought them out. Older Marlins w/ JM proof marked barrels are a still go.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Weg

Post by Weg »

You can't go wrong with a 10/22. Not only is it a great gun out of the box, but the amount of aftermarket items you can buy for it are endless .. barrels (which are easy to change on your own), triggers, stocks , mags, ect. Be careful though, you can turn a $250.00 gun into a $1,000.00 one real quick by tricking it out. If you are considering a pistol, the MK series Rugers are the way to go also.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

10/22
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Richbirdhunter wrote:10/22
:iagree:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

goose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by goose »

Just another vote for a 10/22. You can get a base rifle for $200-ish. Get the Ruger brand BX-Trigger for $75-ish and have an incredibly good shooting plinker.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Ok so...
High standard victor from Hammond ct.
A ruger kmk 10 mkii. These things are a blast. Its a good 100yd pistol. Far cooler then a charger.
10/22

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

The 10/22 and MK series get my vote as well. Awesome plinkers!
NRA Life Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I have a NIB Marlin XT22 with a threaded barrel for sale for $150 out the door. Not sure where you are but I'm a few miles from PSC

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Henry!
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 11

Post by puma guy »

mrvmax wrote:I have a NIB Marlin XT22 with a threaded barrel for sale for $150 out the door. Not sure where you are but I'm a few miles from PSC
That's a shooter! Tube or box mag and wood or synthetic stock?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cyphertext »

S&W M&P 15-22, or a dedicated .22lr upper with an AR lower. Those have been more fun for me than the Ruger 10/22.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I have a 10/22 that I've had for 30 years which I am renewing my interest in. It is stock, other than a Volquartsen trigger. I've started thinking what I might do to make it better, more fun, and the possibilities are endless.

I suggest you spend some time over at Rimfire Central (rimfirecentral.com). There is more information, suggestions, ideas, etc, not only on 10/22s but all Rimfire models, and it will afford you many happy hours of fact finding, impression making, dreaming, almost overwhelming.

The biggest problem is figuring out exactly what you want to end up with.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”