Private Sale through FFL

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
T3hK1w1
Posts in topic: 1

Private Sale through FFL

Post by T3hK1w1 »

If I wish to buy a gun and have it shipping to an FFL, is it still a private sale, or does the FFL's involvement somehow make it commercial?

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

T3hK1w1 wrote:If I wish to buy a gun and have it shipping to an FFL, is it still a private sale, or does the FFL's involvement somehow make it commercial?
A private sale is me selling you a gun face to face. In that case, there is no requirement for paperwork.

If it goes through an FFL, it never was a private sale. The reason it must be shipped through an FFL is so the paperwork will be completed and laws followed regarding the sale, including a NICS check, unless the buyer has a CHL.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

Mike1951 is right: when an otherwise private sale is conducted through an FFL, that dealer must log the firearm into his inventory, conduct the transaction, and then log it out to the buyer.

As far as the paperwork is concerned, it's just the same as if the FFL sold you a gun that had been sitting on his shelf for months.

Kevin

QB

Post by QB »

Well it doesn't make it "commercial" (if by "commercial" you mean purchasing from a licensed dealer) You can certainly purchase from an individual but have the gun transfered to you via an FFL (if applicable/required). This doesn't mean you purchased from the FFL, just that the transfer was processed by an FFL. The sale itself was between "individuals". Guess it's a definition issue.....but I think that regardless of how the gun is transferred, a sale between non-FFL individuals is a private sale (versus a purchase made from a licensed dealer). But that's just my opinion...............
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Rex B

Shipping to FFL

Post by Rex B »

I have a pistol sold to an FFL that is out of town, but in Texas, so I need to ship it.
Do I need an FFL on this end?
Should I use FedEx or UPS?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Shipping to FFL

Post by KBCraig »

Rex B wrote:I have a pistol sold to an FFL that is out of town, but in Texas, so I need to ship it.
Do I need an FFL on this end?
Should I use FedEx or UPS?
You don't have to use an FFL on your end, but it may prove cheaper.

Your only options are FedEx or UPS overnight or next day air, but an FFL has other options that aren't available to you, including USPS.

Check what FedEx or UPS are going to charge you, versus what an FFL will charge you to ship it for you.

2fs2ns

Post by 2fs2ns »

So I'm selling a gun to someone in Florida. I do not need a FFL here if I ship it Fedex/UPS overnight. I just need to ship it TO an FFL in Florida? Then the purchaser will buy it from him... Just want to make sure I'm doing it right...

For whatever reason, I was under the impression that it had to be shipped FROM an FFL, TO an FFL...
Dan
Ponder, TX

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

2fs2ns wrote:So I'm selling a gun to someone in Florida. I do not need a FFL here if I ship it Fedex/UPS overnight. I just need to ship it TO an FFL in Florida? Then the purchaser will buy it from him...
That is correct.

However, your local FFL can ship it to a remote FFL cheaper than you can. I sent a revolver that way, and it cost $35. I've seen lower prices quoted. FFLs can use U.S.P.S. surface mail.

- Jim

2fs2ns

Post by 2fs2ns »

Ahh, maybe I need to find a local FFL then... Can anyone recommend someone in the Grapevine/Southlake/Lewisville general area?
Dan
Ponder, TX

Dougmyers5

Post by Dougmyers5 »

SMR Firearms in Hurst Texas they are good guys a Father son owned shop Both named Sam and Sam Jr.

I do not know his fees or the shipping costs to post here sorry.

SMR Firearms
421 W. Bedford Euless Road
Hurst Texas 76053

817-285-0883
817-285-7405

=========================

Mods if this not a legal post then please delete it for me.
2be1-ask1
-----------------
DougMyers
NRA Endowed Life Member
CHL Issued June 2007
Member # 1567
http://www.texasopencarry.com/

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

However, your local FFL can ship it to a remote FFL cheaper than you can. I sent a revolver that way, and it cost $35. I've seen lower prices quoted. FFLs can use U.S.P.S. surface mail.
Exactly.

Individual has to ship common carrier overnight. which might run $40/$50/$60. FFL can ship US Mail. which might be $10. Even with $25 FFL fee, it is cheaper.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”