Recommendations for a 2nd barrel on a Bond Arms Derringer

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mdubtx
Posts in topic: 5

Recommendations for a 2nd barrel on a Bond Arms Derringer

Post by mdubtx »

This is not a 'should I buy a derringer' thread. I am looking to get a second barrel for a Bond Arms Ranger. So, I am starting with a 4.25" 45LC/410 barrel.

It may be gorgeous :drool: but it is not cheap to put a box of ammo through. So one thought is, get a 9mm (maybe a 22lr down the road but not now.) It would see a lot more range time this way. They don't have a 9mm in 4.25" length but they do in 3.5".

Which brings me to my second line of thought. Get a much shorter, ultra concealable, barrel for pocket carry as a BUG. If I did that, I may also end up getting the standard length rubber grips. As much to preserve my wood grips as anything. But, they would let me get a better grip of a larger caliber if I am thinking pocket carry.

So...

Any owners out there that can tell me your favorite barrel lengths and calibers? Both for fun at the range and for pocket carry?

Thanks
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

Glockster

Re: Recommendations for a 2nd barrel on a Bond Arms Derringer

Post by Glockster »

mdubtx wrote:This is not a 'should I buy a derringer' thread. I am looking to get a second barrel for a Bond Arms Ranger. So, I am starting with a 4.25" 45LC/410 barrel.

It may be gorgeous :drool: but it is not cheap to put a box of ammo through. So one thought is, get a 9mm (maybe a 22lr down the road but not now.) It would see a lot more range time this way. They don't have a 9mm in 4.25" length but they do in 3.5".

Which brings me to my second line of thought. Get a much shorter, ultra concealable, barrel for pocket carry as a BUG. If I did that, I may also end up getting the standard length rubber grips. As much to preserve my wood grips as anything. But, they would let me get a better grip of a larger caliber if I am thinking pocket carry.

So...

Any owners out there that can tell me your favorite barrel lengths and calibers? Both for fun at the range and for pocket carry?

Thanks
I have the Snake Slayer with a 4.25 and a 3.5, both in 45/410. I keep .410 in both barrels, with the 4.25 on for a bedside SD, and swap out the 3.5 for car carry, or in a pocket Sticky holster as a BUG. I do have a box of 45LC but haven't had it to the range to try that yet. I did try a 9mm and .40 before I got these barrels and found that I can get much better accuracy from a small Kimber or Glock, but believe that having two shots of .410 would be quite useful. I did do some practice shooting out on a ranch and I have to say that at 5-10 feet it did an amazing amount of damage with Hornady Triple Defense...a lot of damage. Seriously, a lot. I feel very confident that this combo works very well as a BUG, and can get to it very easily in my car door pocket (just keep a cover rag over it to comply with CC).
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I carry the Texas Defender in 45ACP as a back up. All of my "off the farm" EDC's are 1911's and I used to carry a spare in my truck. I bought the derringer because it allowed me to carry the backup 45 comfortably in my pocket and stop leaving a spare 1911 in my truck. I shoot a few rounds through it at least once a month and have about 300 rounds through it. It's reliable and not much can go wrong with them. I like being able to wrap my hand around it without drawing attention to the movement. These are awesome point blank belly guns and could possibly turn ones EDC into the backup depending on the situation...
III

karder

Post by karder »

I have the Texas Defender in 45LC/.410 with the 2.5" barrel. I got a second barrel in .357 3" to use as a back up when I carry my GP 100 or Sp101. Between the two, I prefer the .357, but Bond Arms has a lot of choices.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Do they make a 40mm barrel for these things?

That would give you all kinds of options....... :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JRG

Post by JRG »

I bought my 4.25" .45LC/.410 Rustic Ranger last Christmas. At the time they were running a half price additional barrel sale through Bond Arms so I added the .357/.38 barrel in 3.5". I found a 9mm 3" barrel from Grab A Gun at a great price so I added it also. My next barrel will be a .22LR just because.

I like the idea of the rubber grips and will be adding a set soon. The 9mm barrel kicks like a mule, as does the .357. I keep mine loaded in .38 special because my primary carry is a S&W 642. I like the compatible ammo aspect.

Joe

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Do they make a 40mm barrel for these things?

Yes, they do! I tried that out before I got mine with 45LC/.410. It's not bad, was tempted and may still get one as well. Super easy to change out a barrel too.

LOL...and now my iPad just caught up on your pic!
NRA Life Member

Topic author
mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

JRG wrote:I bought my 4.25" .45LC/.410 Rustic Ranger last Christmas. At the time they were running a half price additional barrel sale through Bond Arms so I added the .357/.38 barrel in 3.5". I found a 9mm 3" barrel from Grab A Gun at a great price so I added it also. My next barrel will be a .22LR just because.

I like the idea of the rubber grips and will be adding a set soon. The 9mm barrel kicks like a mule, as does the .357. I keep mine loaded in .38 special because my primary carry is a S&W 642. I like the compatible ammo aspect.

Joe
We're on the same page, Joe. :cheers2: This one is a Rustic as well. Bond still has the half priced barrel offer available as well and that is what has me looking. I would grab up the .22lr right now if it were eligible.

The Rustic is probably too pretty for pocket carry anyway. I think I'll be grabbing the 9mm to save money at the range.

Topic author
mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Do they make a 40mm barrel for these things?

I couldn't decide between the smoke or the flash / bang. But, there's two barrels so I wouldn't have to! Now, there's a secondary carry. LOL

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Hope that link works.
My suggestion is a 45-70 barrel

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cheezit wrote:

Hope that link works.
Oh LORT!

I once shot a few rounds of 158 grain white tail hunting .357 magnum out of a 13 oz scandium snubbie, and I thought my hand was going to fall off (STORY HERE). Those boys are crazy. My guess is that beer was involved somehow.......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
cheezit wrote:

Hope that link works.
Oh LORT!

I once shot a few rounds of 158 grain white tail hunting .357 magnum out of a 13 oz scandium snubbie, and I thought my hand was going to fall off (STORY HERE). Those boys are crazy. My guess is that beer was involved somehow.......

wahoooey, hole ma beer an watch this!! says the Texan just before the 911 call for an ambulance :woohoo

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
cheezit wrote:

Hope that link works.
Oh LORT!

:fire
Some story, and I've seen something similar happen but successfully avoided any personal participation.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

Thought I would follow up on this. Called Bond and got a 4.25" 9mm barrel for the range. It's not on the website in 9mm; so just in case someone has thought about one but didn't think they made it... They do!

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

mdubtx wrote:Thought I would follow up on this. Called Bond and got a 4.25" 9mm barrel for the range. It's not on the website in 9mm; so just in case someone has thought about one but didn't think they made it... They do!

Hopefully the wait isn't too long. That is one downside to Bond, great on the phone and web site full of info, but it can take a bit for them to make your barrel. Will be interested to know what you think of the accuracy with the 9mm.
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”