Selling a gun in person on armslist

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Selling a gun in person on armslist

Post by jb2012 »

I am considering listing two of my pistols on armslist, and I have a few questions/concerns.

First: What do I need to do to keep the sale completely legal? Go through an FFL? I don't even care if I have to pay a transfer fee, I don't want this falling on me.

Second: How many of y'all have done this and how sketchy was it? I am extremely nervous due to the value and nature of the products being exchanged.

Third: Any tips for me? or should I avoid all together?

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Selling a gun in person on armslist

Post by Jago668 »

I used another site, and the people I did business with all had a chl. So we usually just swapped chls and called it good. If you are worried about it, do a bill of sale. Just search for personal firearms bill of sale and some premade ones you can print out are there. I always met in a Wal-mart parking lot. Plenty of space at them, lit, cameras, and easy to find one between the two of you.
NRA Benefactor Member

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Ive sold a few here. Pretty much a non issue.
Texas law requires no paper work on either part. Its up to the buyer but not necessary.
Pick a public spot, some police stations now have areas for craigslist type sales exchanges in there parking lots with good lighting and surveillance. Call your local station.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

If it's face to face you have several options. First thing to consider is safety, so if it's FtF pick a safe public location. Some police departments have exchange zones for Craigslist and other web listing sales. If there's no safe exchange zone I'd opt for a friendly gunshop,barring that some busy public spot; preferably with cameras. If it's shipped you it depends if it's within the same state or across state lines. Interstate shipment requires shipping to a licensed dealer (FFL). You don't have to have an license to ship to an FFL. i.e. A non-licensee may ship a firearm intrastate (to a buyer in the same state as the seller). In either case you must notify the shipper that a firearm is being shipped. Personally I would use an FFL to receive it even in my own state. BTW This forum is a an excellent option to list and sell firearms.
Edited: cheezit you're a Whiz, you beat me to it!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

It sounds as if you would be better off going through an FFL for peace of mind. Other than not selling to a prohibited person (underage, felon etc.) there are no state or federal requirements if you sell within Texas (I'm assuming you are a Texas resident and the buyer is too). It always amazes me that pro gun people complain about gun laws then make up their own "rules" when selling to an individual and go beyond any legal requirements ( they require a CHL, want to copy down the CHL number, ask for picture ID etc.). If you are selling person to person get a bill of sale for peace of mind if it makes you feel better but it is not necessary. Now, if you are selling expensive firearms with cash deals that is where I would be leery. I'm a lot more worried about getting ripped off than I am worried about who I'm selling to.

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

mrvmax wrote:It sounds as if you would be better off going through an FFL for peace of mind. Other than not selling to a prohibited person (underage, felon etc.) there are no state or federal requirements if you sell within Texas (I'm assuming you are a Texas resident and the buyer is too). It always amazes me that pro gun people complain about gun laws then make up their own "rules" when selling to an individual and go beyond any legal requirements ( they require a CHL, want to copy down the CHL number, ask for picture ID etc.). If you are selling person to person get a bill of sale for peace of mind if it makes you feel better but it is not necessary. Now, if you are selling expensive firearms with cash deals that is where I would be leery. I'm a lot more worried about getting ripped off than I am worried about who I'm selling to.
Trust me I am definitely not trying to create rules in my head, just new to the whole private sale thing. I definitely don't want to cause problems, just want to cover my own butt and keep everyone safe in the process.
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll try and find a police station as mentioned, or even an FFL.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

jb2012 wrote:
mrvmax wrote:It sounds as if you would be better off going through an FFL for peace of mind. Other than not selling to a prohibited person (underage, felon etc.) there are no state or federal requirements if you sell within Texas (I'm assuming you are a Texas resident and the buyer is too). It always amazes me that pro gun people complain about gun laws then make up their own "rules" when selling to an individual and go beyond any legal requirements ( they require a CHL, want to copy down the CHL number, ask for picture ID etc.). If you are selling person to person get a bill of sale for peace of mind if it makes you feel better but it is not necessary. Now, if you are selling expensive firearms with cash deals that is where I would be leery. I'm a lot more worried about getting ripped off than I am worried about who I'm selling to.
Trust me I am definitely not trying to create rules in my head, just new to the whole private sale thing. I definitely don't want to cause problems, just want to cover my own butt and keep everyone safe in the process.
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll try and find a police station as mentioned, or even an FFL.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you. I have run across other people who wanted copies of my id for a person to person sale, I think that's a little much.

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

mrvmax wrote:
jb2012 wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you. I have run across other people who wanted copies of my id for a person to person sale, I think that's a little much.
Haha no harm done! But yeah that is a little much

rentz

Post by rentz »

Never used arms list but I've both bought and sold via local sites including this on and had no issues
Key is to make sure you're both comfortable and get a feel for the person prior to the meet, and choose a nice public place like a busy shopping center parking lot

I've never felt any concern about any purchase or sale made on this site or others and everyone been more than willing to show id to make sure they are a tx resident of age or a chl holder.

If you are really concerned just use an ffl which also opens you up to being able to ship it out of state

T.Chaney

Post by T.Chaney »

Selling to a CHL holder is my general rule.Usually turns into a friendship, gives me peace of mind for any future issues.Two of my regular talk to guys are guys I sold a weapon to.Agree with the public place deal.In Van Zandt County one of our Constables allows his parking lot for face to face transactions.Seems to weed out the crooks.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

You are expecting some discount from used retail, right?

Sell it to Cabelas. They will pay 70% of appraised retail, take care of all paperwork, cash on the barrelhead, right now, and do all the worrying about the buyer.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”