Freedom Munitions Ammo Issue

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 9

Freedom Munitions Ammo Issue

Post by TexasCajun »

I was shooting the indoor IDPA match at Shiloh last night using my Glock 17 with new Freedom Munitions 115gr. When I'd fire, sparks would come out from behind the chamber and possibly from the end of the barrel. I shot the first stage then ran a bore snake through the barrel a few times. The same thing happened on the 2nd stage, so one of the guys in my squad lent me some Fiocchi 124gr to finish the match. The Fiocchi shot clean (no sparks). I shot other brands (WWB & Fiocchi 115gr) on Saturday and Tuesday through my Glock with no sparks.

I googled 'Freedom Munitions ammo issues' and 'sparks from ammo' with no relevant results. Anybody else have or hear of such a thing?
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Freedom Munitions Ammo Issue

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I buy my ammo almost exclusively from Freedom Munitions and have never had an issue with it, but that has been mostly remanufactured rifle ammo, which I find to be both cheap and very accurate for remanufactured stuff. However, I just took delivery a couple of weeks ago on 1000 rounds of their 115 grain remanufactured 9mm ball, but I haven't shot any of it yet, so your topic interests me.

How bad were the sparks?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

"How bad were the sparks?"

After the 2nd round, I was being called Sparkler. It was very significant. Everyone from all angles were able to see them.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

TexasCajun wrote:I was shooting the indoor IDPA match at Shiloh last night using my Glock 17 with new Freedom Munitions 115gr. When I'd fire, sparks would come out from behind the chamber and possibly from the end of the barrel. I shot the first stage then ran a bore snake through the barrel a few times. The same thing happened on the 2nd stage, so one of the guys in my squad lent me some Fiocchi 124gr to finish the match. The Fiocchi shot clean (no sparks). I shot other brands (WWB & Fiocchi 115gr) on Saturday and Tuesday through my Glock with no sparks.

I googled 'Freedom Munitions ammo issues' and 'sparks from ammo' with no relevant results. Anybody else have or hear of such a thing?
A buddy of mine recently encountered the same issue with Remington UMC. It was right after I had cleaned and lubed his Beretta for him so he called me in a near panic. It can only be the powder. There are several threads on various forums. Here is one:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wess ... oting.html
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Thanks Bitter Clinger. I was hoping that it was just a powder issue. It was a little unsettling, but glad to see that it's not something major. Most of the replies on the linked forum thread say powder & it's no big deal. Others that said it was a big deal didn't provide any other information.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

sparks would come out from behind the chamber
This would make me want to inspect the fired cases to see what the primer / primer pocket look like.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I didn't think to look at the casings. I still have the rounds that I planned on shooting last night. I may take them to the range with me this weekend to take a closer look.

jed

Post by jed »

I don't know if it sparks for me, I don't have any to shoot. Placed an order 12/6 and yet to receive it.

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

I've seen similar while shooting 230 gr 45 at the range, usually with cheap stuff. Nothing that I would consider too strange, and certainly has not been harmful (that I can tell) to my XD.
J.R.

loktite

Post by loktite »

+1 to inspect the casings. Another possibility to consider, found on 1911forum, in thread https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=467058
All sort of particles fly out of the case as it is ejected. Sometimes these are clumps of powder that were stuck to the case by residual sizing lubricant and were late to the party with respect to combustion.
NRA Endowment Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I'd have to think it's something similar to loktite's post.

Like TAM, most of my center-fire purchases--other than defensive ammo and the occasional mil-surp bulk deal--are from Freedom Munitions. Partly because their retail store is only two exits down the freeway from me. ;-) But also because of the quality and value. I mainly shoot their remanufactured rounds in 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .223, and .308. Never had an issue.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

rentz

Post by rentz »

ive heard of issues quite a bit in the past 2yrs with their pistol ammo.
I don't buy it anymore because of this and the fact I can usually find new manufactured ammo for the same price or less after shipping

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Rifle Primers?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

LeonCarr wrote:Rifle Primers?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
That would be jacked up.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I've only ever shot their rifle ammo. Never had a problem with it. So don't know.
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”