Question on Shipping a gun within the state of texas...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

rickrixter
Posts in topic: 1

In State Individual to Individual Firearm Sale and Shipping

Post by rickrixter »

Just to clarify, you can Legally ship a firearm within the same State to another resident of the same State. This is legal so long as the person you are selling/shipping to can legally own the firearm. I.E., get a copy of their CHL and Texas DL prior to shipping. Also, as MoJo mentioned, you don't want to provide a firearm to someone who shouldn't have it!

Only Fedex will ship them for individuals and it must go Next Day - but, doesn't have to be for AM delivery. You must declare the contents when shipping, but there shall be NO labeling to indicate that a firearm is contained in the package. Hope this helps.

NcongruNt

Re:

Post by NcongruNt »

HEMIzygote wrote:You can ship with Lonestar Overnight. They have no problem with shipping firearms.
I called Lone Star Overnight, as they do not have any policies posted online....

I was told that they do not ship firearms of any type, nor do they ship ammunition. :???:
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 3

Re: In State Individual to Individual Firearm Sale and Shipping

Post by mr surveyor »

rickrixter wrote:Just to clarify, you can Legally ship a firearm within the same State to another resident of the same State. This is legal so long as the person you are selling/shipping to can legally own the firearm. I.E., get a copy of their CHL and Texas DL prior to shipping. Also, as MoJo mentioned, you don't want to provide a firearm to someone who shouldn't have it!

Only Fedex will ship them for individuals and it must go Next Day - but, doesn't have to be for AM delivery. You must declare the contents when shipping, but there shall be NO labeling to indicate that a firearm is contained in the package. Hope this helps.

you are referring only to long guns, aren't you?
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Rayden

Re: Question on Shipping a gun within the state of texas...

Post by Rayden »

After all this, I am more confused than clear. So I plan to go to Fedex/UPS tomorrow and ship to an individual in the same state (TX):

1.) No FFL needed on either side, correct?
2.) FedEx/UPS can only ship it overnight, correct?
3.) Should declare to them it is a firearm but it should not be marked as such on the outside, correct?
4.) Should insure it, but be prepared to pay an arm and leg for shipping and insurance cost, correct?

Thanks.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

Everything you say is technically correct, but there's this problem:
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/ ... erousgoods
Firearms
1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
- Jim

HankB

Post by HankB »

KBCraig wrote:Federal law does require you to notify the carrier that you are shipping a gun, not "machine parts".
And if the clerk doesn't happen to know that "sks" or "SigP226" or "G19" happens to be a gun, it's not your fault, is it?
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

4t5
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 4t5 »

Two days ago I printed a FedEx Ground tag from my computer. The box is a rifle sized box. I took it to the FedEx place to drop it off. I said "Firearms in there" to the clerk. She took and said thanks. I've done this several times without problems. How would they prove that I didn't tell them that there are firearms in the box? "You didn't tell us!", "Yes, I did!", "No you didn't!", And on, and on.....

I have also shipped firearms straight to people's houses within the state. I just ask for a TXDL and ship to the address on it. It is just like a FTF sale. Instead of meeting halfway between to Houston and Dallas, let UPS do the driving!
Last edited by 4t5 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SCone

Post by SCone »

According to the boys that'll be coming for you if your mess it up....

"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm."

It's that "federal law" stuff that would get in the way. The "licensee" here is an FFL.

A long gun can be sent via USPS also.

Would be best to exchange a copy of your driver's licenses to protect both sides of the deal.

4t5

Post by 4t5 »

SCone wrote:According to the boys that'll be coming for you if your screw it up....

"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm."

It's that "federal law" stuff that would get in the way. The "licensee" here is an FFL.

A long gun can be sent via USPS also.

Would be best to exchange a copy of your driver's licenses to protect both sides of the deal.
I challenge you to show me a case where anyone has ever been convicted of neglecting to notify a carrier that a shipment contains a firearm.

bryang

Post by bryang »

I just shipped my LCP back to Ruger for repair and shipped it via UPS. I did not have any problems with UPS. I did ship it overnight, but I did not know that you had to. Also, Ruger shipped it back to me via UPS.

Good Luck!
-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

SCone

Post by SCone »

Shipped an Israeli FAL a year ago via UPS. Felt strange walking into the UPS place with a big rifle case. As soon as the lady saw me, she asked, "Firearm? Let's get you a box." She was very nice and when it turned out to be too long to get a good rate, she had no problem with me stripping it down on the counter. Got some strange looks from the folks that came in before we got it all boxed up.

But they had no problem at all shipping the weapon.

iflyabeech
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Re:

Post by iflyabeech »

NcongruNt wrote:
HEMIzygote wrote:You can ship with Lonestar Overnight. They have no problem with shipping firearms.
I called Lone Star Overnight, as they do not have any policies posted online....

I was told that they do not ship firearms of any type, nor do they ship ammunition. :???:
Just FYI, I work at LSO and we do carry firearms and ammo routinely. Ammo must go via ORM-D consumer commodity on the ground due to Hazardous Materials Regulations, however. (I till still get to most places in Texas next day!)

PM me with any questions! :)

Thanks.
PROHIBITED ITEMS FOR SHIPMENT
Lone Star Overnight does not accept for transportation certain specific commodities, including but
not limited to the following:
a. Fireworks.
b. Firearms and/or ammunition. (1)
c. Alcoholic beverages. (2)
d. Tobacco products. (3)
e. Perishables.
f. Meat, poultry, fish.
g. Money, cash, currency, paper money, negotiable instruments, which represent cash like bonds,
cash letters and endorsed stocks.
h. Live animals to include birds, fish, insects and reptiles. Seafood fit for human consumption is not
prohibited but must follow packaging guidelines.
i. Human corpses, human organs or body parts, cremated or disinterred human remains.
j. Animal carcasses. (This restriction does not apply to properly packages meat, poultry or fish
products intended for human consumption. Parts intended for taxidermy may be accepted if
properly packed).
k. Suspected infectious materials.
l. Shipments that may require special license for transportation or that may cause damage or harm to
personnel, equipment or other shipments.
m. Any item whose transportation is prohibited by law, statute or regulation, for any reason, in a state
where it is intended to be transported.
n. Any item which requires LSO to obtain a local, state or federal license for its transportation.
o. Wet, leaking or odorous packages.
Exceptions:
(1) Firearms (Shipper is responsible for compliance to local, state and federal laws). The
packaging must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify as containing a firearm. Drop box
services are prohibited on shipments containing firearms.
a. Licensee to licensee
b. Licensee to consumer
c. Consumer to licensee
(2) Alcoholic beverages (Shipper is responsible for compliance to local, state and federal laws).
Special mode of packaging in a three layered, leak proof transport system with absorbent
material consistent with quantity of liquid being shipped, is required
a. Licensee to licensee (beer, wine and spirits)
b. Licensee to consumer (wine only)
(3) Tobacco products (Shipper is responsible for compliance to local, state and federal laws).
a. Licensee to dealer
b. Distributor to licensee.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

I've shipped firearms intrastate via FedEx to private citizens a few times. Handguns and long guns. I tell them it is a firearm. I've even shipped a handgun 2nd day (the guy asked me). I even reminded him of the contents. No problem. Shipped from FedEx facility and Kinkos. Your results may vary.

:txflag:

grumble
Posts in topic: 7

Ship handgun to an individual - no go for me.

Post by grumble »

Tried to send a handgun via UPS today to an individual in San Antonio. UPS would NOT take it. They refused. Told me it was against federal law (ha). Then they told me, ok it's not, but it's against OUR policy. I handed them the printout of THEIR policy. Guy says "read it however you want - I'm not putting MY job on the line and taking it" .. This was at the Dallas (Monroe) UPS Center. Drove over to DFW customer center, and they wouldn't take it either. Go figure. Now how am I going to get this to my buyer in San Antonio?
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Mike1951 »

Obvious answer is to also try Fedex and Lone Star Overnight, if they have a terminal near you.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”