1911 guys - Chip McCormick's new feed-lips

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

WildBill
Posts in topic: 9

Re: 1911 guys - Chip McCormick's new feed-lips

Post by WildBill »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Has a patent been issued, or simply "pending?" I'm far from a patent attorney, but I'd be surprised if this would qualify. As I recall from a patent attorney, "common sense" ideas are not innovative and do not qualify for a patent.

Chas.
Patent pending is what I read. I did a search and could not a patent issued.

From the link below:
- The invention must be statutory
- The invention must be new
- The invention must be useful
- The invention must be non-obvious

http://www.bitlaw.com/patent/requirements.html
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

When I showed this to my gunsmith son, who has worked on a LOT of 1911s, his comment was that it was Chip McCormick's floppy followers that were the problem more so than the feed lips, and while he thought this was a good improvement, he was a little skeptical of whether or not it would solve their problems without also replacing/redesigning their magazine followers.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:When I showed this to my gunsmith son, who has worked on a LOT of 1911s, his comment was that it was Chip McCormick's floppy followers that were the problem more so than the feed lips, and while he thought this was a good improvement, he was a little skeptical of whether or not it would solve their problems without also replacing/redesigning their magazine followers.
I thought his magazines had patented followers. :headscratch
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:These seem to be a provisional patent aka 'patent pending' - cheaper, simpler (almost automatic approval) and protects them for a year while they see if it's worthwhile applying for a full patent.
jb2012 wrote:does anyone know when these will be for sale?
I've sent an email to ask.
The Annoyed Man wrote:When I showed this to my gunsmith son, who has worked on a LOT of 1911s, his comment was that it was Chip McCormick's floppy followers that were the problem more so than the feed lips, and while he thought this was a good improvement, he was a little skeptical of whether or not it would solve their problems without also replacing/redesigning their magazine followers.
Never had an issue with the McCormick followers myself so I don't know what he's referring to, but I posted this to emphasize the design of the feed-lips (can you imagine this being applied to all military magazines and licensed-out to other companies?) and they simultaneously seem to have designed a different follower for this magazine - trying to find a picture as I'm curious.
Patent pending is not a provision patent.
A provisional application can be made that allows the inventor 12 months to file a complete application.
It does not offer any protection nor almost automatic approval.
Patent filing and approval can be a long and expensive process.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:
WildBill wrote:
AndyC wrote:These seem to be a provisional patent aka 'patent pending' - cheaper, simpler (almost automatic approval) and protects them for a year while they see if it's worthwhile applying for a full patent.
Patent pending is not a provision patent.
A provisional application can be made that allows the inventor 12 months to file a complete application.
It does not offer any protection nor almost automatic approval.
Patent filing and approval can be a long and expensive process.
http://www.uspto.gov/patents-getting-st ... ion-patent

As I said - if they're using the term "patent pending", they've likely gotten a provisional patent (which IS easily-approved) which protects them (to an arguable extent) for 12 months and entitles them to use the terminology 'patent pending'.

It's their choice whether or not they apply for a full patent within this time, but a full patent is a different story and much more arduous, expensive, etc.
I agree that their modification to the magazine is a good idea.

I also agree that they don't yet have a patent.

I stand by my previous statements, but don't want to "nitpick" and derail this thread from it's original intent any more that it has been.

My apologies AndyC. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Nortex
Banned

Post by Nortex »

Having had several Chip McCormick mags, I now only carry Wilson mags. It may not be a problem overall but I have had several that didn't work well.

Nortex
Banned

Post by Nortex »

AndyC wrote:That's not the point of this thread. It's about the feed-lips design.

Will that help the follower problem I've seen many have with these mags? If so that would be great.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Nortex wrote:
AndyC wrote:That's not the point of this thread. It's about the feed-lips design.
Will that help the follower problem I've seen many have with these mags? If so that would be great.
:roll:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”