I made THE transition

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

I made THE transition

Post by cmgee67 »

No not the transision you are thinking but a different place to carry transision. I have been carrying for a while now and when I started up until about 2 weeks ago I carried my Glock 19 or 26 at 3 to 4:00. But as I have lost almost a 100 pounds and have slimmed up I noticed it being much more difficult to conceal and it wasn't as comfortable as it used to be. So I transisioned over to appendix carry. I love it. I also carry an extra mag IWB at 11:00 now. Yes I suppose there is more risk to injury but I'm more than confident on my draw and reholster. I make sure there is no garment in the way at all and I'm confident in my firearm. I am convinced it is a very safe way to carry as long as the safety between your ears is on point.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Re: I made THE transition

Post by ScottDLS »

Appendix carry...? :shock:

You may be "making the transition" involuntarily soon if you currently are biologically male...especially if your EDC is a Glock! :smilelol5:

OK OK I apologize, but really I just couldn't resist....oooh my side hurts.... "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"

ETA: Also congrats on the weight loss. I lost 60 lb 5 years ago and it made concealed carry much more comfortable.
Last edited by ScottDLS on Thu May 12, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott in Houston »

Congrats on the weight loss!

I'm 6' and 180 lbs. I carry appendix 90% of the time (G19 most of the time). I find it fastest to draw and it's easier to maneuver in places like my car, etc.
I think it also conceals better there, but reality, people just don't notice anything anyway.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

ScottDLS wrote:Appendix carry...? :shock:

You may be "making the transition" involuntarily soon if you currently are biologically male...especially if your EDC is a Glock! :smilelol5:

OK OK I apologize, but really I just couldn't resist....oooh my side hurts.... "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
:lol: At least he will still be able to "identify" as a male. :biggrinjester:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TXBO »

How do you draw from a sitting position while carrying appendix without covering yourself?

Kenneth77

Post by Kenneth77 »

TXBO wrote:How do you draw from a sitting position while carrying appendix without covering yourself?
This is the question i have , i never would carry there because it seems to uncomfortable.
leeproductsonline.com

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

cmgee67 wrote:No not the transision you are thinking but a different place to carry transision. I have been carrying for a while now and when I started up until about 2 weeks ago I carried my Glock 19 or 26 at 3 to 4:00. But as I have lost almost a 100 pounds and have slimmed up I noticed it being much more difficult to conceal and it wasn't as comfortable as it used to be. So I transisioned over to appendix carry. I love it. I also carry an extra mag IWB at 11:00 now. Yes I suppose there is more risk to injury but I'm more than confident on my draw and reholster. I make sure there is no garment in the way at all and I'm confident in my firearm. I am convinced it is a very safe way to carry as long as the safety between your ears is on point.
As long as you are using a good holster, it should be safe enough. I have tried every position and find that I am most comfortable anywhere from 3:00 to 4:30. It varies depending on the gun. Appendix carry is not comfortable for me. Maybe it would be different if I lost 100 pounds...

Bryanmc

Post by Bryanmc »

TXBO wrote:How do you draw from a sitting position while carrying appendix without covering yourself?
Does it really matter since the muzzle is always pointed at your femoral artery anyway? I have no issue with folks who choose to do it, I just don't care for it.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Nope... Just nope... not having something that dangerous pointing at my junk. Don't plan on having an AD/ND but stuff happens... and I want to still be a man after it does.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

Bryanmc wrote:
Does it really matter since the muzzle is always pointed at your femoral artery anyway? I have no issue with folks who choose to do it, I just don't care for it.
Not to me but I'm just curious. I've asked several people that carry that way and nobody ever gives me an answer.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

TXBO wrote:
Bryanmc wrote:
Not to me but I'm just curious. I've asked several people that carry that way and nobody ever gives me an answer.
You pretty much have to point the muzzle at yourself at some point when you draw from appendix in a sitting position. It doesn't bother me too much. Good holster and good technique keeps risk to a minimum.

I appendix carry my G42 occasionally and I'm much, much faster in that position. I actually can draw and fire just as fast as an OC belt holster.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

MadMonkey wrote: You pretty much have to point the muzzle at yourself at some point when you draw from appendix in a sitting position. It doesn't bother me too much. Good holster and good technique keeps risk to a minimum.
Agreed on all of the above. I've been using appendix carry for about 2 yrs with a G23. Eventually I'll downsize to the G26 for appendix carry, but the G23 is doable.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

I can draw sitting down just fine. And it's a little uncomfortable at first but you get used to it and it really isn't that bad.

Thanks on the weight loss!

People joke about it and talk bad about it but it really is a safe way to carry if you train properly. Also a Glock is a very safe pistol. It has a trigger safety that is a piece of metal that stays in the way of the firing pin. The only way it will go off is if the trigger is pulled because that depresses the plunger and raising the trigger safety. I used to have a big belly and couldn't do it. Now I prefer it. It's all apples and oranges. Just because it may not seem logical or work for you doesn't mean it doesn't for others. I can draw as fast as an OC holster as well. Remember the biggest safety is between your years. You don't need a Manual safety. Almost every ND is because the knuckle head got his finger on the trigger. To those who appendix like me you know what I am talking about

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

cmgee67 wrote:..... Almost every ND is because the knuckle head got his finger on the trigger. To those who appendix like me you know what I am talking about
Very true..... And 100% of negligent discharges, where someone shot themselves, some knucklehead covered the muzzle with part of their body.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

cmgee67 wrote: People joke about it and talk bad about it but it really is a safe way to carry if you train properly.
Doesn't proper training include "never cover the muzzle with anything you're not willing to destroy"?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”