Glock Magazines

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Dannyboy
Posts in topic: 3

Glock Magazines

Post by Dannyboy »

I'm thinking of buying my first Glock. Ive done lots of online research, and one thing Ive noticed about every model, the magazines, at least in the pictures, seem to protrude from the stock. As if it doesn't fit right - it's that way on every model Ive looked at.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is there?

Thanks.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Glock Magazines

Post by Jago668 »

That's what they do. I've had a Glock 30 SF (gen 3), and a Glock 17 (gen 4). The mags just don't sit perfectly flush, you can see a bit of the side of mag.
NRA Benefactor Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Dannyboy wrote:I'm thinking of buying my first Glock. Ive done lots of online research, and one thing Ive noticed about every model, the magazines, at least in the pictures, seem to protrude from the stock. As if it doesn't fit right - it's that way on every model Ive looked at.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is there?

Thanks.
We have a G17, two G19s, and two G43s, and they all do that. It's not an issue for me. The magazines may protrude a little bit, but they are nice and secure, and not prone to coming loose from the gun. I rather suspect that the tension of the top of mag against whatever it is contacting at the top is what helps to ensure reliable feeding - which is supposed to be the platform's strong suit.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If you want the gun, buy it.......or not, but don't let that be the reason. ALL guns will eventually have malfunctions, but Glock's reputation for reliability is very well earned. I've been a 1911 guy all my life, and before I got myself a Glock, it was important to me to buy polymer guns with similar ergonomics to the 1911 platform. But I've gotten so used to the different grip angle that it no longer bothers me, and I can switch back and forth between platforms without confusion. My other main complaint about Glocks was solved with the Gen 4 guns, and that was the ability to modify the size of the grip to fit my hand better.

There was a time when I felt like I had to wash my hands after touching one, but I really like the platform now. My G17 is the softest shooting gun I own.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Most Glocks come with flush magazines. One exception I can think of is the 30 in which the stock mag is a 10 round, but extends about a half inch below. A 9 round mag for the model 30 is available to make a flush fit. That bring said, many Glocks may take a longer magazine of the same caliber. Example: the model 26 will accept model 19 and 17 mags in which will extend below but will give increased capacity.

Topic author
Dannyboy

Post by Dannyboy »

What do you mean, "flush?" I just looked at every model on Glocks website, and none of them are flush. They all protrude.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

They have worked that way for 30+ years. And worked really good at that. If it bothers you then that is where another make may make you happier. It is ok not to like Glock, it makes no sense but it is still OK! :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

rotor

Post by rotor »

So here is a picture of a Glock 17 and the mags do extend a small amount.

I am not sure what the problem is. Nobody makes a better mag than Glock. I would not decide against Glock because the mags are not perfectly flush. You should see my Glock 26 with a 32 round magazine. My Glock 43 comes with two mags, one designed to extend more than the other. All function perfectly.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Dannyboy wrote:What do you mean, "flush?" I just looked at every model on Glocks website, and none of them are flush. They all protrude.
I guess your idea of flush is different from mine. For example the stock mag in the 26 doesn't protrude enough to interfere with my little finger under the grip. I don't like how the 30 with the stock 10 round mag feels in my hand, therefore I carry with the shorter 9 round. If you want a gun in which the mag cannot be seen from the side, then the Glock isn't the gun for you.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Yep. That's the way stock Glock mags fit in for-model stock Glocks (say that 10 times fast). "For-model" meaning for the designated round capacity; one nice benefit of Glocks is that models in the same line can use any equal or larger capacity magazine).

Can't comment on the reason they were designed with the mag baseplate protruding, but if I had to guess I'd say it was because if, in a high-stress situation, the mag failed to eject it would be much easier to grasp and assist with extraction.

I have some 1911s and 2011s (still my favorite platforms) with extended magwells. I can do a reload in one of those almost twice as fast as I can in any of my stock Glocks. But if a mag failed to release, I'd be in more trouble with those 1911s than with a Glock.

I'll also note that I've never felt the need to experiment with any but Glock OEM magazines. Lotta rounds through a lotta mags, and I'd only buy factory Glock.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Maybe you guys can help a brother out.......

I haven't for the life of me been able to get this magazine to fit flush. I've tried pounding the bottom of the mag on concrete....I've tried hammers.....nothing seems to work. Funny thing is, the gun keeps working........just like a Glock.......

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

The original Glock Magazines were not "drop free", this slight protruding of the magazine probably allowed for a more secure grip in order to pull the magazine out, and continued as a vestige of this practice.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

It also helps if the mag is all muddy that you can insert it and there will be a small area for debris to sit without causing a problem.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Maybe you guys can help a brother out.......

I haven't for the life of me been able to get this magazine to fit flush. I've tried pounding the bottom of the mag on concrete....I've tried hammers.....nothing seems to work. Funny thing is, the gun keeps working........just like a Glock.......

:mrgreen: :thumbsup:

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Maybe you guys can help a brother out.......

Try that with a 1911 and you'll spend the next 15 years sighing about all the scratches. They will also bring nightmares about the idiot mark you made while reassembling it. Ohh and it might not fire if you get a bit of dust in it from pounding the mag on concrete. :biggrinjester:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Javier730 wrote:Try that with a 1911 and you'll spend the next 15 years sighing about all the scratches. They will also bring nightmares about the idiot mark you made while reassembling it. Ohh and it might not fire if you get a bit of dust in it from pounding the mag on concrete. :biggrinjester:
Shirley, you jest.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=special+forces+pistols

Luv my Glocks, but don't dis my 1911s.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”