Hand-held flashlight?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Hand-held flashlight?

Post by Crash »

I need recommendations for a hand-held (rather than weapon-mounted) flashlight. I'd like one with both a steady-on and a strobe function. My problem is that most of them have a push-button on the back end, but I'd rather have one with a switch on the barrel of the light. Also, I don't want to pay out the nose for one--about $50 at the most.

Suggestions?

Crash

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Hand-held flashlight?

Post by FastCarry »

May I ask why you prefer the standard button over the tactical button?

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jrs_diesel »

I carry a mini LED streamlight. It does not have the barrel switch or strobe function, but it only takes a single AAA battery and is very bright for its size. Also comes with a pocket clip which is handy. Right around $30 or $35 I believe.

EDIT: My light is a Streamlight Microstream
Last edited by jrs_diesel on Tue May 31, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J.R.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

FastCarry,

I have very short thumbs and when I hold them straight the ends of them actually curve backwards at about a 60 degree angle. Therefore, it's very hard to push the button if it's on the end.

Crash

ELB

Post by ELB »

The Coast brand seems to be a pretty good line of flashlights for the money. Amazon sells them, along with about 5000 other brands. You can search on price (like $0 to $50) and star ratings to narrow the field a bit.
USAF 1982-2005

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

FastCarry wrote:May I ask why you prefer the standard button over the tactical button?
For a daily carry light, my problem was the light kept getting turned on in my pocket. I tried the clip it came with, but it kept getting knocked off. A pouch like the little Mag-lites came with might have worked better.

I now carry a Surefire Titan light. It is twist-on and hangs on a key chain so it isn't tactical at all, but it is very bright and uses one AAA battery.
Last edited by MechAg94 on Tue May 31, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

http://www.surefire.com/gear-recommenda ... ick-a.html
I also notice Surefire has this Sidekick light that might be a closer fit to the style you are looking for. The price is above your limit, but competitors may have cheaper options.

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

Crash wrote:FastCarry,

I have very short thumbs and when I hold them straight the ends of them actually curve backwards at about a 60 degree angle. Therefore, it's very hard to push the button if it's on the end.

Crash

Gotcha, might look into Fenix then, they still make durable and reputable lights with side switches. I know a few spelunkers who swear by the brand.

Steve5115

Post by Steve5115 »

I love this one. I have given one to every one in my family and to female coworkers.

CVLIFE 800Lm Zoomable CREE XM-L T6 LED Adjustable Focus Flashlight Lamp Light with 18650 Battery & 2 Chargers

Amazon:

Price: $43.89
Sale: $26.99
Free Shipping for Prime Members

You Save: $16.90 (39%)

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

FastCarry and Steve5115,

Thanks for the recommendations--I'm going to check them both out.

Crash :txflag:

DanD

Post by DanD »

I highly recommend the EagleTac D25C Clicky 453 Lumen Cree XM-L2 U3. It costs around $54.90. This is my EDC flashlight and it comes with a very strong clip and it is very bright. You can easily switch between high intensity and strobe by tapping the button. It also has other light modes you can switch to by twisting the bezel like other tactical flashlights.

I got mine from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DS ... g468_i1_sh
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

There are several Fenix lights with your switch requirement, but are a lot more than $50.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Kenneth77

Post by Kenneth77 »

I use this one Streamlight ProTac Flashlight , it small but bright and seems to last pretty long on just the one battery .
leeproductsonline.com

BAW1967

Post by BAW1967 »

I got these Tasco XR5's at Sam's for $20. It has high, low and strobe. Also has adjustable beam from spot to flood.
http://scene7.samsclub.com/is/image/sam ... e_380x380$

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

I have several Fenix PD35s. Think they are closer to $70 though. The button is on the end but the intensity button (5 levels) is on the body. I align the clip with this button so I can get to it quickly by feel. Carry one every day in the belt holster. Also have Streamlight and Surefire but this is my daily.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”