Academy and Buying Ammo and carded?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Academy and Buying Ammo and carded?

Post by vjallen75 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Ok, this is awesome. I'm going to have to buy something from Daniel Defense now.
http://bearingarms.com/2016/06/16/danie ... cowardice/
:clapping:
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

gljjt wrote: Buying online is far more intrusive in terms of tracking purchases. Kind of defeats the purpose of boycotting Academy.
This.. :iagree:
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

E.Marquez wrote:
NTexCopRetired wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:Today in Killeen Texas I purchased 400 Rds .45, 100 Rds .380, 300 rds .22...... Im pretty sure they looked up at my face when asking me to punch in my zip code for some advertisement media junk mail reason.. but that was the extent of my ID request. Yawn.......
The information states they ask for ID if you purchase a large quantity of ammo for what they think is an "assault weapon" style gun. Go back and purchase 10 boxes of .223 and then let us know what happens.
OK, well I dont own a .223... but I can try with 5.56.. Can always use another 200~500 rds of that in the gun room.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. You are aware that you can shoot .223 in your 5.56, right?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

pushpullpete
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pushpullpete »

Liberty wrote:
gljjt wrote: Buying online is far more intrusive in terms of tracking purchases. Kind of defeats the purpose of boycotting Academy.
This.. :iagree:

+1 :iagree: :patriot: :txflag:

Still not sure how one decides what is considered a large amount of ammo.

rentz

Post by rentz »

gljjt wrote:
superchief wrote:Just buy it on line. usually cheaper, more available. don't have to stand in line or get to the store stupid early in hopes of getting a box. Plenty of online sources, here's one that searches the web for deals.

slickguns.com
Buying online is far more intrusive in terms of tracking purchases. Kind of defeats the purpose of boycotting Academy.
very very true.
and in my experience many online ammo vendors want proof of age before shipping too

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 5

Post by E.Marquez »

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. You are aware that you can shoot .223 in your 5.56, right?
Not sarcastic at all..
You suggested buying .223..my rifles are chambered in 5.56, So I simply responded , good idea, but I'll buy what i shoot...
Yes I know you can shoot .223 in a rifle chambered in .223... I dont....for reasons other than the topic of this thread..
Nor do I shoot .38 in my .357 revolvers... I know you can, I dont.

Thanks for the suggestion though, if I had not know it would been an important piece of info.. :tiphat:
C-dub wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
NTexCopRetired wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:Today in Killeen Texas I purchased 400 Rds .45, 100 Rds .380, 300 rds .22...... Im pretty sure they looked up at my face when asking me to punch in my zip code for some advertisement media junk mail reason.. but that was the extent of my ID request. Yawn.......
The information states they ask for ID if you purchase a large quantity of ammo for what they think is an "assault weapon" style gun. Go back and purchase 10 boxes of .223 and then let us know what happens.
OK, well I dont own a .223... but I can try with 5.56.. Can always use another 200~500 rds of that in the gun room.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Papacub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Papacub »

I sent Academy an email letting them know I would no longer be shopping at their stores. Being an LTC Instructor, I had always recommended Academy for ammo and handguns, no more! I hope it hurts them!
I also read where they were bought out and are now owned by someone out-of-state. That could explain what they are doing!
:txflag:
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified RSO
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ScottDLS »

Papacub wrote:I sent Academy an email letting them know I would no longer be shopping at their stores. Being an LTC Instructor, I had always recommended Academy for ammo and handguns, no more! I hope it hurts them!
I also read where they were bought out and are now owned by someone out-of-state. That could explain what they are doing!
:txflag:
By KKR no less....truly 'Barbarians at the Gate' for you '80's fans. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

E.Marquez wrote:
Not sarcastic at all..
You suggested buying .223..my rifles are chambered in 5.56, So I simply responded , good idea, but I'll buy what i shoot...
Yes I know you can shoot .223 in a rifle chambered in .223... I dont....for reasons other than the topic of this thread..
Nor do I shoot .38 in my .357 revolvers... I know you can, I dont.

Thanks for the suggestion though, if I had not know it would been an important piece of info.. :tiphat:
C-dub wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
NTexCopRetired wrote:
Fair enough, but it wasn't I that suggested buying .223 and I don't know if NTexCopRetired even knew whether or not you had anything chambered in .223/5.56 or your preferences for one over the other.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Today, I bought 150 rounds of 5.56 no ID required. It was just one box of ammo though.

rentz

Post by rentz »

RocknRoll wrote:
rentz wrote:
gljjt wrote:
superchief wrote:Just buy it on line. usually cheaper, more available. don't have to stand in line or get to the store stupid early in hopes of getting a box. Plenty of online sources, here's one that searches the web for deals.

slickguns.com
Buying online is far more intrusive in terms of tracking purchases. Kind of defeats the purpose of boycotting Academy.
very very true.
and in my experience many online ammo vendors want proof of age before shipping too
Nope. They make you checks box certifying you are of legal age. No proof required at least from the vendors I have bought from onlyline.
I've bought bulk from some that required a copy of dl or other proof...but I had my c&r on file so that covered me. Pretty sure aim required it and ammoman

gljjt
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gljjt »

RocknRoll wrote:
rentz wrote:
RocknRoll wrote:
rentz wrote:
gljjt wrote:

slickguns.com
very very true.
Nope. They make you checks box certifying you are of legal age. No proof required at least from the vendors I have bought from onlyline.
I've bought bulk from some that required a copy of dl or other proof...but I had my c&r on file so that covered me. Pretty sure aim required it and ammoman
I have bought from GT Distributors, ammunition2go, goose island sales, SGAMMO and not once have I provided any identification other than checking a box certifying I am of legal age and legal to purchase. I think Freedom munitions wanted a copy of my drivers early on when they first started out, but I refused to complete the purchase.

It's the credit card that gets you.... Pay by cc and they know far more about you than your DL info being taken at a retail store.

Morbidrealities

Post by Morbidrealities »

RocknRoll wrote:
gljjt wrote:
RocknRoll wrote:
rentz wrote:
RocknRoll wrote:
rentz wrote:
gljjt wrote:

slickguns.com
very very true.
I have bought from GT Distributors, ammunition2go, goose island sales, SGAMMO and not once have I provided any identification other than checking a box certifying I am of legal age and legal to purchase. I think Freedom munitions wanted a copy of my drivers early on when they first started out, but I refused to complete the purchase.

It's the credit card that gets you.... Pay by cc and they know far more about you than your DL info being taken at a retail store.
Someone else posted that just isn't true about the CC information and I can't remember what thread it was in.

I don't see how it's not true. To get a credit card you have to supply a metric poopton of information. I imagine they (they being the government) can pull as much information off of either method. However its probably easier with a DL. They'd "supposedly" need a warrant to get info off your credit application. We all know how that works though....

OldAg

Post by OldAg »

mikeb95 wrote:I just left Academy, was going there to get dad a gift card for father's day and yup, all the ARs have been removed but are in cages behind the counter. Not sure if it was Pollo Loco for dinner or just the fact that Academy is giving in to "political pressure" that made me sick. As a long time customer of Academy (back to the days of army surplus gear being sold and limited gear)....I will shop else where. Guess I'll be getting dad a Bass Pro Shops gift card now.
I went to Academy yesterday and asked one of the gun guys I know why they had pulled their guns. He told me that they are now owned by an investment firm out of N.Y. and that's why they are being PC. I checked the net and it shows that Academy is owned by KKR, a private equity firm out of New York City. I also asked him about the bullet policy and he told me that to his knowledge, nothing has changed. He had not heard of anyone being "carded". They were still selling large boxes (420 rds) of 5.56 (on sale for $190).

gljjt
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gljjt »

RocknRoll wrote:
Morbidrealities wrote:
RocknRoll wrote:
gljjt wrote:
RocknRoll wrote:
rentz wrote:
RocknRoll wrote:
rentz wrote:
gljjt wrote:

slickguns.com
very very true.

Someone else posted that just isn't true about the CC information and I can't remember what thread it was in.

I don't see how it's not true. To get a credit card you have to supply a metric poopton of information. I imagine they (they being the government) can pull as much information off of either method. However its probably easier with a DL. They'd "supposedly" need a warrant to get info off your credit application. We all know how that works though....
They don't provide that info when making purchases at stores. Really folks?
Sorry, they do know a lot about you when you make purchases online. In person, if you pay cash, they know what's on your DL if they collect that info and can tie that to previous purchases. Online, they know the most important thing on your DL, your name and address. They also know the OS you are using (sorry, iOS users pay higher prices online with some merchants because they know that Apple fans have a higher average income than the PC types). They see most users cookies so they know about your comparison shopping. CTD, then Ammoland, then... They know your IP address and MAC address. Once they have this they can find out everything about you. They sell and share information and tie it all together to develop a pretty complete picture of you and your shopping and spending habits. The bank knows what types of stores you shop at, frequency, how much you spend. They can use this to make creditworthiness decisions. Started shopping at pawn shops and thrift stores? Maybe you are having financial difficulties and need a reduction in credit, or at least more intensive monitoring. NOTHING online is private. Brick and mortar shopper? Turn off WiFi and BT before you get to the store. Once they capture your phone scanning for open networks, they know who you are. Remember, one hit and they have you because they share with other merchants. Paying cash with Wi-Fi and BT turned off is the only way to assure reasonable privacy. Remember though, you are always on candid camera.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”