Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

What is it like to fire an AR-15? It’s horrifying, menacing and very very loud

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/f ... -1.2673201
It feels like a bazooka — and sounds like a cannon.

One day after 49 people were killed in the Orlando shooting, I traveled to Philadelphia to better understand the firepower of military-style assault weapons and, hopefully, explain their appeal to gun lovers.

But mostly, I was just terrified.

Squeeze lightly on the trigger and the resulting explosion of firepower is humbling and deafening (even with ear protection).

The recoil bruised my shoulder. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary case of PTSD. For at least an hour after firing the gun just a few times, I was anxious and irritable.
On the flip side of that coin:

Now, what does that say about the backbone of a quisling gun grabbing leftist?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What is it like to fire an AR-15? It’s horrifying, menacing and very very loud

Post by ScottDLS »

What's it like to fire a SIG MCX ? Must be 10 times more scary than an AR-15.... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

KHickam
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What is it like to fire an AR-15? It’s horrifying, menacing and very very loud

Post by KHickam »

Think the journalist needs to turn in his man card.
"Be strong, be of good courage, God Bless America, Long live the Republic." SootchOO

Hot Dawg

Post by Hot Dawg »

My wife thought the same thing that the AR was scary & loud & would not shoot one til last weekend & said she loved shooting it as there was nothing to it, bad thing now is she wants one.

Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

Sickening

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

KHickam wrote:Think the journalist needs to turn in his man card.
I'm not convinced he ever had one.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

Hot Dawg wrote:My wife thought the same thing that the AR was scary & loud & would not shoot one til last weekend & said she loved shooting it as there was nothing to it, bad thing now is she wants one.
Only for the bank account, correct? :mrgreen:
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Even in semi-automatic mode, it is very simple to squeeze off two dozen rounds before you even know what has happened.
Around here, we call that: "A good time"!
In fully automatic mode. . .
In fully automatic mode, you would be going to jail unless you spent around $30K for a legal unit.

I also have little use for the owner of the gun shop:
“There should be expanded background checks — extending into your family, friends and associates,” he said. “And there should be a mental health screening. In Europe, if you want to buy a gun, you have to see a doctor (for a psychiatric examination) to see if something’s not right.”
Please go back to Europe and take your leftist politics with you.

Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

Boy this guy is just "Pioneer Tough" now ain't he?

"rlol"
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Hmmmmm My wife as well as both of my daughters would rather shoot an AR-15 than any of my other hunting rifles. My daughter-in-law on the other had pooh poohs ARs and loves shooting my Finnish Mosin 1939 in 7.62x54R. Now that really does sound like a cannon
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

If your AR-15 bruises your shoulder you might be a ... feline.
Last edited by warnmar10 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
KHickam wrote:Think the journalist needs to turn in his man card.
I'm not convinced he ever had one.
I think he was spotted going into the women's toilet in the Queens Target?

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

Gersh Kuntzman, for NY Daily News wrote:Even in semi-automatic mode, it is very simple to squeeze off two dozen rounds before you even know what has happened. In fully automatic mode, it doesn’t take any imagination to see dozens of bodies falling in front of your barrel.
That "article," short as it is, is still one of the most asinine things I've ever read. I had to go to my gun safe and check again. How have I missed that automatic fire selector option all these years?

By the way, according to the very brief profile on the Daily News site about Mr. Kuntzman, he evidently spent most of his career writing for tabloids. Not hard to see that.
The recoil bruised my shoulder. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary case of PTSD.
My favorite Twitter response to this was, "I hope he didn't break a nail, poor dear."
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Give this guy a M1 Garand and he would have a stroke.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

Of all the guns I have, the ar15 is the one new shooters want to keep shooting. It's really enjoyable. I'm willing to bet this guy actually found out his worse nightmare, that it was a ton of fun!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”