Electronic Ear Plugs with NRR 31dB rating

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Electronic Ear Plugs with NRR 31dB rating

Post by Skiprr »

Many thanks. Marvelous review.

Mine (non-Blue Tooth) should arrive in a few hours.

I'm also building a new AR, so probably won't post a review of the Walkers until I go to PSC next week and shoot the new rifle.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

Pawpaw, hurry up and go shoot with them. Enquiring minds want to know how good they work not look. "rlol"
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

FCH
Posts in topic: 4

Post by FCH »

jason812 wrote:Pawpaw, hurry up and go shoot with them. Enquiring minds want to know how good they work not look. "rlol"
:iagree:
I'm looking for a way to get the hearing protection out of the way of my rifle sights. My wife and I use regular Howard Leight muffs (30 db) but they are big so we bought a pair of the Howard Leight Electronics (22 db) and they are still too big and the lower sound reduction is definitely noticeable. Hoping to hear (or not hear) some good reports before experimenting with another $90+.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

psijac

Post by psijac »

midway says they are all sold out
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

FCH

Post by FCH »

psijac wrote:midway says they are all sold out
Date expected in stock: 06/27/2016
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Pawpaw »

These headsets are now on the Walker's website. They give a bit more info than MidwayUSA does.

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/wal ... dsets.aspx
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 6

Post by warnmar10 »

Pawpaw wrote:These headsets are now on the Walker's website. They give a bit more info than MidwayUSA does.

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/wal ... dsets.aspx
So they're passive ear plugs that enhance low intensity sounds?

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Apparently so. I just tried them by clapping my hands. It took a harder, louder clap than either my Howard Leight or Caldwell muffs, but it worked the same way. All sound seemed to cut off for a fraction of a second. I don't have a problem with that.

I also discovered that, since I paired mine with my phone, just after the female voice says, "Power on", she also says, "Your device is connected." It sounds silly, but remember that you can't see these things when you're wearing them.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

I wonder if she'll critique your groups as well? :lol:

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Pawpaw wrote:Apparently so. I just tried them by clapping my hands. It took a harder, louder clap than either my Howard Leight or Caldwell muffs, but it worked the same way. All sound seemed to cut off for a fraction of a second. I don't have a problem with that.

I also discovered that, since I paired mine with my phone, just after the female voice says, "Power on", she also says, "Your device is connected." It sounds silly, but remember that you can't see these things when you're wearing them.
I wear a similar headset every day. Mine isn't rated for ear protection but it does have active noise cancellation on a separate switch though I rarely turn ANC on. If the Razor-XV has aptX I'm going to ask Santa for a pair.

rotor

Post by rotor »

george wrote:Received mine yesterday. Seem well made. Have not made the trip to the range to try them out.

They use a compression circuit instead of just turning off.

Most of the problems I have had in the past with electronic muffs is sweat in the summer corroding the circuitry. Let's see how they hold up?
So are you saying that if the unit is not powered on it does not have the 31 dB noise reduction? I could not tell from their website if these have active noise suppression which would give it the 31 dB rating and require the unit to be powered on ( these all work by making the sound out of phase and therefore cancelling the sound) or whether these have 31 dB passive noise protection ( don't need power to do this) and allow voice to come through by the included microphone and amplifier (which require power). At this price I really doubt active noise reduction (out of phase noise cancellation). Perhaps the technology is here though. Bose headsets for pilots used to be in the $1,000 range but that was years ago. Seems like the company would brag about it if they really had it at this price.

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

rotor wrote:
george wrote:Received mine yesterday. Seem well made. Have not made the trip to the range to try them out.

Most of the problems I have had in the past with electronic muffs is sweat in the summer corroding the circuitry. Let's see how they hold up?
So are you saying that if the unit is not powered on it does not have the 31 dB noise reduction? I could not tell from their website if these have active noise suppression which would give it the 31 dB rating and require the unit to be powered on ( these all work by making the sound out of phase and therefore cancelling the sound) or whether these have 31 dB passive noise protection ( don't need power to do this) and allow voice to come through by the included microphone and amplifier (which require power). At this price I really doubt active noise reduction (out of phase noise cancellation). Perhaps the technology is here though. Bose headsets for pilots used to be in the $1,000 range but that was years ago. Seems like the company would brag about it if they really had it at this price.
No, they do not have any sound cancelling. If you don't turn them on, it's no different than using foam earplugs.

They have what many of these type devices call "sound activated compression". As near as I can find out, it simply monitors the ambient noise level. When there is a loud noise, they cut off or severely reduce the amplifier's output momentarily.

As far as hearing protection, wearing good coated foam plugs would be about the same. I have some here that have a NRR of 30dB. The difference is that, absent a loud noise, you can hear what's going on around you. For me, it's worth it.

Know also that this is a monaural headset. There is only one microphone, so the same sound goes to both ears. There is no provision to adjust the volume to just one ear. Without true stereo sound, you will not have any sense what direction any particular sound came from.

psijac

Post by psijac »

Pawpaw wrote:
rotor wrote:

No, they do not have any sound cancelling. If you don't turn them on, it's no different than using foam earplugs.

They have what many of these type devices call "sound activated compression". As near as I can find out, it simply monitors the ambient noise level. When there is a loud noise, they cut off or severely reduce the amplifier's output momentarily.

As far as hearing protection, wearing good coated foam plugs would be about the same. I have some here that have a NRR of 30dB. The difference is that, absent a loud noise, you can hear what's going on around you. For me, it's worth it.

Know also that this is a monaural headset. There is only one microphone, so the same sound goes to both ears. There is no provision to adjust the volume to just one ear. Without true stereo sound, you will not have any sense what direction any particular sound came from.
Foam plugs stay in my ear, while every earbud I use tends to fall out. How is the fit and comfort?
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

psijac wrote:Foam plugs stay in my ear, while every earbud I use tends to fall out. How is the fit and comfort?
The fit and comfort is about like any foam plug. Each earbud has a foam tip (several sizes are included) with a hole through the middle. The earbud itself appears to be just a speaker with a hollow tube that goes into this hole. With the tip on the earbud, you roll the tip between your fingers to compress it before putting it in your ear. Then you hold it for a few seconds while the foam re-expands. Putting it in your ear is just like using a foam plug. If foam plugs work for you, these should too.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”