Correct, sorry for my typo
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Electronic Ear Plugs with NRR 31dB rating

Post by Skiprr »

Haven't taken the new Walker's to the range yet, so these are just some preliminary observations. Will post more later since there's obvious interest.

I opted for the non-Bluetooth model. Mind you, I can see benefits to Bluetooth for things like hunting buddies talking via cell to RECCE some feral hogs or other quarry, or ROs communicating with a match director about CoF issues in real-time. Otherwise, I really wouldn't have a use for the Bluetooth feature.

For me, these are for-purpose only. I won't be wearing them casually, won't be wearing them when I workout, won't be wearing them when I mow the lawn.

And there is the first potential fail. The neckband, or armature, is made of rubber. It's good quality rubber, and flexible in three dimensions...but it's rubber. At the back to stabilize it somewhat is a glued-on strip of plastic about six inches long.

Don't get me wrong: it seems well-made; fit and finish are good. It will expand to fit you even if you have a 22-inch neck.

On the downside, if you do not have 22-inch neck, this thing will flop around when you run or move aggressively. I can't tell how the earbuds will hold in place yet, but I would have hoped for significantly more retention against the neck. Note to Walker's: a tiny bit of pressure doesn't stop-off the carotid arteries.

I'm 50% impressed so far...but then I'm the Simon Cowell of shooting accessories.

I have not tried the Walker's earbuds yet--that will come soon on the range--but a miscellaneous recommendation if you ever consider using earbuds of any type: pack alcohol wipes in your range bag. I bought a 200-pack of Zeiss lens cleaning wipes from Sam's Club not long ago for about 10 bucks. Basically a high-tech fiber imbued with isopropyl alcohol. Cleans lenses and cleans ear canals.

Wipe thoroughly. Wait a few seconds until dry. Insert earbuds.

Oh. And Walker's could have spent at least a dollar on documentation.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

FCH
Posts in topic: 4

Post by FCH »

Pawpaw wrote:
FCH wrote:Every time I see comments about Bluetooth, all I can think about is a distracted shooter on his/her cell phone and still pulling the trigger.
Have you actually seen that, or are you just making something up to worry about? :headscratch
I have seen people at the range that were distracted. Please accept my comment as a cautionary warning. ;-)
NRA Member
TSRA Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

I missed my chance to get the great price on these. :banghead: I was at the FW Cabela's last week and talled to the Walker salesman in the store and also have an audio-gram booth set up. He had just received 6 pairs of both the plain and Bluetooth and only had one pair of each left. $114 for the plain and $149 for the Bluetooth. I will have to wait for a better deal. My Howard Leights and Peltors will have to do. The way my hearing has diminished in the last two months I may not need any protection at all. :shock:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

I found that the Caldwell electronic do a great job at the range and the noise cancelation is very quick. I have to wear a wide brim hat anytime I go outdoors, so I use the "around the neck" model and have been very satisfied with them for well over a year now.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

george wrote:Okay, guys I was wrong. I had a chance to use these for an IDPA match, and it is obvious that these use the older technology; that is, they shut off the noise momentarily, instead of using compression. Worthless at a match, where the surrounding shots keep them shut off all the time.

My apologies.
They still sound like they would be better than the Howard Leights Impact Sport muffs. Those only have a decible rating about 22-25. The comfort level and convenience of these new ones might be much higher and they are rated for at least 31db. The cost is quite a bit different.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rotor »

george wrote:Okay, guys I was wrong. I had a chance to use these for an IDPA match, and it is obvious that these use the older technology; that is, they shut off the noise momentarily, instead of using compression. Worthless at a match, where the surrounding shots keep them shut off all the time.

My apologies.
I think at best with all of these electronic devices you should look at the noise suppression with them un-powered, such as 31 db, etc. This is the passive protection and the larger the db number the better. None of them really seem to use electronics to phase out unwanted sound (gunshots) but they do use electronics to allow you to hear surrounding sounds that you would not hear if the device was in passive mode only. The devices are supposed to shut off all outside noise (and therefore go into passive mode) at the first inference of a gunshot but the best you can expect is the passive mode db reduction. I will stick with the best passive device I can find that doesn't interfere with cheek contact of my shotgun and tend to say "what" a lot when people talk to me. From everything I have read there are no really good Bose type sound blockers ( 180 degree phase blocking devices) that will work for firearm noise suppression.

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:They still sound like they would be better than the Howard Leights Impact Sport muffs. Those only have a decible rating about 22-25. The comfort level and convenience of these new ones might be much higher and they are rated for at least 31db.
The improved rating is exactly why I bought these. More hearing loss is something I don't need. A welcome side benefit is the ability to get a better cheek weld than I can with my Howard Leight muffs.
rotor wrote:I think at best with all of these electronic devices you should look at the noise suppression with them un-powered, such as 31 db, etc. This is the passive protection and the larger the db number the better. None of them really seem to use electronics to phase out unwanted sound (gunshots) but they do use electronics to allow you to hear surrounding sounds that you would not hear if the device was in passive mode only. The devices are supposed to shut off all outside noise (and therefore go into passive mode) at the first inference of a gunshot but the best you can expect is the passive mode db reduction. I will stick with the best passive device I can find that doesn't interfere with cheek contact of my shotgun and tend to say "what" a lot when people talk to me. From everything I have read there are no really good Bose type sound blockers ( 180 degree phase blocking devices) that will work for firearm noise suppression.
I already have moderate-to-severe hearing loss. When I remove my hearing aids and wear plain old foam plugs, I can just barely hear people speak. That may be OK for solitary range time, but it''s a real bummer during "social" shooting, such as skeet with friends.

Electronic muffs have allowed me to participate in conversations while still having some hearing protection. With their better NRR, these increase the protection while still allowing me to hear others.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

rotor

Post by rotor »

george wrote:Rotor, any Bose type muffs would attenuate everything. That is not what we are looking for. We need muffs that attenuate the loud gunshots, but still allow (and even amplify) voices. This is the circuitry in most of the higher end muffs now (Peltor, MSA, Walker, etc.). That is, we can be in the midst of lots of shooting, but still hear range commands easily.

I believe you have a misunderstanding of how these work. You should try some of the electronic ones, you will not ever go back to the others.

The principle they us is dynamic range compression.
My understanding was that there was a passive level of noise reduction (31 db for these), the electronic circuitry allows sound below a certain level to come into the earphones (or buds) electronically and can even amplify it for those with hearing loss. Sound over a certain decibel level such as a gunshot cut off the circuitry so that no sound comes in electronically and you have a maximum noise reduction of the passive level, in this case 31 db. I have tried the Leight brand electronic muffs but they did not form a tight seal on my head and only were 21 or 22 db reduction. I can see the advantage for those that need a hearing aid or blue tooth as these can amplify voice and sound below gun shot level. My point to all of this was that if they provide 31 db noise reduction that is what you get when they are powered off (passive) and you never get more noise reduction with power on. What you do get is amplification of "normal" sound so that you can hear the folks talking. You never get more than the 31db noise reduction though and that is pretty good. If I am wrong about the mechanism of action please correct me. The web site of the manufacturer leaves much to be desired.

rotor

Post by rotor »

george wrote:Hey, Rotor
snip
Sorry to be so long-winded.
Thanks george. Helps my understanding of how these work.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

Bluetooth enabled eh...?

If you like distraction while shooting, have at it.

You can actually live without phone access for a few minutes, or even up to a few hours, and you won't die, well, unless you're so addicted to absolutely having to be connected at all times and costs...then the stress of missing a call might cause a myocardial infarction. cough, cough, wimp...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”