Anyone have any ideas?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jb2012
Posts in topic: 7

Anyone have any ideas?

Post by jb2012 »

So I built an AR about a year and a half ago around a 20" bull barrel from Runner Runner Guns. I've had a cheap free fliat quad rail on it, but I realized that a quad rail is extreme overkill on a gun that I just want a bipod and scope on. Not to mention how big it is and how annoying the Picatinney rails feel in my hand. So I ordered a 15" free float M-Lok handguard from Aero Precision and it uses a proprietary barrel nut that won't fit over my barrel. Any 20"+ barrel suggestions with a 1:8 twist rate that will fit that handguard? I'm more partial to the handguard at this point.

hovercat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone have any ideas?

Post by hovercat »

Can the barrel or nut be machined to fit? Any decent machine shop could turn/ bore/ rethread.

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

hovercat wrote:Can the barrel or nut be machined to fit? Any decent machine shop could turn/ bore/ rethread.
I suppose that is a possibility, I would rather not have to do that and risk it not working properly and ruining accuracy. I'm really trying to push the limits of the .223 round with this build.

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

Clearancing the barel nut wouldn't be a problem for any machinist.

Morbidrealities

Post by Morbidrealities »

Nuts wrote:Clearancing the barel nut wouldn't be a problem for any machinist.
Agreed. This wouldn't be a massive undertaking for even the beginning machinist.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Two things to consider.........
  1. What's the actual diameter of the barrel? There's some confusion out there about what constitutes a "bull" barrel, and people sometimes incorrectly use the term to describe different barrel profiles that are heavier than a pencil or M4 barrel, but not a full "bull" barrel. If THIS is your barrel from Runner Runner, then it has roughly the same profile as my Odin Works DMR barrel and is .750" at the gas block, and there's no reason I can see why the Aero barrel nut wouldn't accommodate the barrel........UNLESS the wrong barrel nut was included in the kit from Aero. ??
  2. Whatever my advice is worth, I'd confirm with Aero that the barrel nut is correct before buying another barrel. If the nut is wrong, switching barrels isn't going to solve the problem.
I am very happy with my Odin Works 18" DMR profile barrel. But I am even happier with the Rainier Arms Select 16" barrel and 10.5" Rainier Select barrel I bought from Rainier Arms on my latest build. Their Select barrels are stainless steel, available with an optional black nitride finish, have 5R polygonal rifling, and are guaranteed sub-MOA with match ammo.

FWIW, I have a Samson Evolution 11" rail on my Carbine, and a 9" Bravo Company KMR Alpha rail on the SBR. I like both of those rails a lot also. Both are Keymod. The KMR in particular is interesting because it has a very slender profile. Both are free floated. The Samson Evo uses a standard AR15 barrel nut. The KMR uses a proprietary barrel nut. Both rails have the virtue of perfectly aligning the rail to the receiver on the bore axis, so no fiddling is required to make sure that any cant is eliminated. It is also rock solidly mounted.....more solidly than the Samson Evo.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Two things to consider.........
  1. What's the actual diameter of the barrel? There's some confusion out there about what constitutes a "bull" barrel, and people sometimes incorrectly use the term to describe different barrel profiles that are heavier than a pencil or M4 barrel, but not a full "bull" barrel. If THIS is your barrel from Runner Runner, then it has roughly the same profile as my Odin Works DMR barrel and is .750" at the gas block, and there's no reason I can see why the Aero barrel nut wouldn't accommodate the barrel........UNLESS the wrong barrel nut was included in the kit from Aero. ??
  2. Whatever my advice is worth, I'd confirm with Aero that the barrel nut is correct before buying another barrel. If the nut is wrong, switching barrels isn't going to solve the problem.
I am very happy with my Odin Works 18" DMR profile barrel. But I am even happier with the Rainier Arms Select 16" barrel and 10.5" Rainier Select barrel I bought from Rainier Arms on my latest build. Their Select barrels are stainless steel, available with an optional black nitride finish, have 5R polygonal rifling, and are guaranteed sub-MOA with match ammo.

FWIW, I have a Samson Evolution 11" rail on my Carbine, and a 9" Bravo Company KMR Alpha rail on the SBR. I like both of those rails a lot also. Both are Keymod. The KMR in particular is interesting because it has a very slender profile. Both are free floated. The Samson Evo uses a standard AR15 barrel nut. The KMR uses a proprietary barrel nut. Both rails have the virtue of perfectly aligning the rail to the receiver on the bore axis, so no fiddling is required to make sure that any cant is eliminated. It is also rock solidly mounted.....more solidly than the Samson Evo.
Tam the barrel is .936 at the gas block and then increases by maybe 1/16 if an inch after. I don't have a caliper to check for sure but I would guess it is close to an inch thick towards the back of the barrel. The cheap handguard's barrel nut that I had before worked flawlessly. I have been reading up on those rainier barrels and may just go with one of those and sell this barrel!

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RogueUSMC »

.936? AR-10? TAM has spoken before about the lack of standard on the AR-10 platforms...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

RogueUSMC wrote:.936? AR-10? TAM has spoken before about the lack of standard on the AR-10 platforms...
No sir, 5.56 Nato chamber, AR15

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RogueUSMC »

I like my barrel from Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Company. Here is a GI profile 20" barrel for $167.95

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m16-m16 ... 1-8-twist/
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Have any of y'all used the AR Stoner barrels? I found them on sale at Midway for 119.99 for a 20" fluted 1:8 twist and thinner profile than what I have now. They get great reviews on that website, but I trust y'all more. If I don't go with that I'm going with a ranier or green mountain, just have to wait a couple weeks to pony up the cash.

The Annoyed Man

jb2012 wrote:Tam the barrel is .936 at the gas block and then increases by maybe 1/16 if an inch after. I don't have a caliper to check for sure but I would guess it is close to an inch thick towards the back of the barrel. The cheap handguard's barrel nut that I had before worked flawlessly. I have been reading up on those rainier barrels and may just go with one of those and sell this barrel!
That sounds like a sure 'nuff bull barrel then. Sounds like a lot weight though. Do you really need a bull barrel? If you want a combination of accuracy and lighter weight, I'd go for a medium contour like the Rainier barrels, or other brands of similar profile.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

RogueUSMC wrote:I like my barrel from Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Company. Here is a GI profile 20" barrel for $167.95

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m16-m16 ... 1-8-twist/
That one would be great except for the chrome lining. The Green Mountain GM-M20 20" 223 Wylde looks perfect, unfortunately it's sold out.
The Annoyed Man wrote: That sounds like a sure 'nuff bull barrel then. Sounds like a lot weight though. Do you really need a bull barrel? If you want a combination of accuracy and lighter weight, I'd go for a medium contour like the Rainier barrels, or other brands of similar profile.
I don't need a heavy barrel at all, it was just a really nice barrel that I found at a decent price at a store I respected. I like the rainier barrels, they are just a touch out of my price range at the moment. Some day I'd love to build a gun with a rainier barrel.

Have either of y'all used Faxon barrels? I have heard a few good things from them but not much at all. I was checking out this barrel as it meets most of my needs, and is a thinner profile barrel that should fit my hand guard.

http://faxonfirearms.com/20-gunner-5-56 ... -4150-qpq/

any opinions on that one?

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Or has anyone used the AR Stoner barrels? They are very low priced which scares me, but they get good reviews on midway isa's website.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/184550 ... less-steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/577053 ... less-steel

The Annoyed Man

I've heard good things about Faxon barrels. In fact, Rainier sells them also, IIRC. I don't know about the AR Stoner barrels.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”