22 LR think about it?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

22 LR think about it?

Post by cmgee67 »

I have been thinking this for quite sometime and I finally decided to do it. I have a Ruger 10/22 as most of you guys do as well. Nothing special just a stock 10/22 with a couple mags and iron sights. I like the gun but never got it out much to shoot because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get 22 anymore. Now that you can readily get it I've started buying some and I did a new paint job on the 10/22 plus have new sights that will be here tomorrow just basically tuning it up for what it's new role is gonna be. Besides being my coyote/ varmint gun considering they are everywhere around my house, it's gonna be my truck rifle. Now some may say that and AR-15 is better. I agree. I have mine in the truck right now, but...... Let me give you the pros of keeping the 10/22 in the truck instead and keep in mind these are my observations.

Pros:
Holds a bunch of rounds
Very light
Very accurate
Recoil is virtually zero
40gr hollow points are nasty boogers
Can hide in its case under the seat easily
200$ if stolen not 600-1000$ like the AR

I will bet most of you will agree with these points but keep in mind since there is no recoil you can put 25 rounds on target in virtually the same hole relativity easy with practice. This means that whatever is on the receiving end is going to have a bad day. I think that the 22LR is more than capable if you practice.

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 22 LR think about it?

Post by jason812 »

cmgee67 wrote:
Pros:
Holds a bunch of rounds - I haven't found a reliable magazine other than the factory 10 rounders
Very light - Nope, I think mine is the heaviest rifle I own. At least it feels like it walking around.
Very accurate - True
Recoil is virtually zero - Very True
40gr hollow points are nasty boogers - Rabbits agree - especially the ones hit in the noggin
Can hide in its case under the seat easily - Nope
200$ if stolen not 600-1000$ like the AR - Nope
I hate to bust your bubble but you are only 50% correct "rlol"
Attachments
22 rifle.jpg
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Actually I'm more than 50%. The rifle you have pictured would be heavier do to the upgrades you have done. A bull barrel scope and light on top would def add to the weight. What I was talking about was the standard composite stock, stock barrel and just having irons on the gun. In that configuration it is small it is easily concealable under the back seat in the case and the gun is light weight. My AR and all of my deer rifles are heavier.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cyphertext »

cmgee67 wrote: Pros:
Holds a bunch of rounds - But still less than my AR
Very light - Per specs yes, but feels heavier than AR... Wood stock, different balance
Very accurate - Good enough, minute of squirrel head at 50 yards
Recoil is virtually zero - True
40gr hollow points are nasty boogers - I wouldn't want to be shot by one
Can hide in its case under the seat easily - Not in my truck... under rear seat is divided compartments. Only handguns would fit.
200$ if stolen not 600-1000$ like the AR - True

I will bet most of you will agree with these points but keep in mind since there is no recoil you can put 25 rounds on target in virtually the same hole relativity easy with practice. - Do not agree. Perhaps when shooting from a bench, but not shooting off hand, under pressure that a self defense situation would have.

This means that whatever is on the receiving end is going to have a bad day. I think that the 22LR is more than capable if you practice.
I would not rely upon a .22lr for defense if I had other options, such as an AR available.

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Boxerrider »

I really like my 10-22, but .22LR lacks the penetration I feel is necessary for a self-defense weapon and I've experienced way more misfires with rim-fire ammo than center-fire.

Jeff

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Boxerrider wrote:I really like my 10-22, but .22LR lacks the penetration I feel is necessary for a self-defense weapon and I've experienced way more misfires with rim-fire ammo than center-fire.

Jeff

I agree that it would not be my first choice in a self defense situation, but I think more about an excrement contacting the rotating turbine situation, where grocery shelves are empty, and I need to feed myself and my family. Despite what a lot of peppers believe, the woods will not be full of deer and elk for the taking, but squirrel, raccoon, possum, and rabbit (notice how small game,all have double consonants in their name?) will be more readily available, easier to process and can all be taken by 22lr. I think a 223 round will destroy too much edible meat. So I keep a large supply of 22 and will be adding another 22 rifle to my collection soon. Also while it may not be reliable as a one shot, one kill option, I'm not going to hang around while you try to hit my vital zones, with one.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

.22LR is not that bad. As I linked in another thread on a related topic earlier, the IDF uses modified 10/22s and other rimfire weapons for some missions, including as "hush puppies." In the right role, you can spread a lot of misery and despair.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

earlwb

Post by earlwb »

Well generally a person does not want to be shot with anything. But if shot, the .22 tends to cause a lot of odd damage inside the body. Even the solid bullets do damage. I know of quite a few cases where someone who was shot with a .22 rim fire, that didn't look bad, but had to stay in the hospital for a week or longer, whereas someone shot with a 9mm got some band aids and was sent home the same day. But then using some of the modern wicked ammo with the fragmenting bullets, or slashing bullets can do some really horrific damage to someone.

Now then with the .22 bullets maximum efficiency seems to be at 2000 fps and above. The .22 TCM and 5.7x28 are super lethal and efficient rounds in a handgun since they have a muzzle velocity around 2000 fps. The .223 Remington and 5.56 Nato rounds with their stronger bullets need 2,500 fps or more bullet speed to be efficient though. The .22 Magnum used in a 6 inch or longer barrel works really well too.

The 5.7x28 round was what the terrorist Hassan used in the Fort Hood massacre. He stopped three grown men charging him with it too. So it had stopping power. All people shot center mass died from it. The survivors were all shot in the extremities. The .22 TCM is a little more efficient with its slightly heavier bullet too. But no one has been shot with it yet. But the .22 TCM is getting a good following for pig hunting though. It can penetrate a pig's skull easily.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

earlwb wrote:Well generally a person does not want to be shot with anything. But if shot, the .22 tends to cause a lot of odd damage inside the body. Even the solid bullets do damage. I know of quite a few cases where someone who was shot with a .22 rim fire, that didn't look bad, but had to stay in the hospital for a week or longer, whereas someone shot with a 9mm got some band aids and was sent home the same day. But then using some of the modern wicked ammo with the fragmenting bullets, or slashing bullets can do some really horrific damage to someone.

Now then with the .22 bullets maximum efficiency seems to be at 2000 fps and above. The .22 TCM and 5.7x28 are super lethal and efficient rounds in a handgun since they have a muzzle velocity around 2000 fps. The .223 Remington and 5.56 Nato rounds with their stronger bullets need 2,500 fps or more bullet speed to be efficient though. The .22 Magnum used in a 6 inch or longer barrel works really well too.

The 5.7x28 round was what the terrorist Hassan used in the Fort Hood massacre. He stopped three grown men charging him with it too. So it had stopping power. All people shot center mass died from it. The survivors were all shot in the extremities. The .22 TCM is a little more efficient with its slightly heavier bullet too. But no one has been shot with it yet. But the .22 TCM is getting a good following for pig hunting though. It can penetrate a pig's skull easily.
I can personally attest that a .22 LR will penetrate more effectively than some here allow and will bounce around causing plenty of internal damage.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

puma guy wrote:
earlwb wrote:Well generally a person does not want to be shot with anything. But if shot, the .22 tends to cause a lot of odd damage inside the body. Even the solid bullets do damage. I know of quite a few cases where someone who was shot with a .22 rim fire, that didn't look bad, but had to stay in the hospital for a week or longer, whereas someone shot with a 9mm got some band aids and was sent home the same day. But then using some of the modern wicked ammo with the fragmenting bullets, or slashing bullets can do some really horrific damage to someone.

I can personally attest that a .22 LR will penetrate more effectively than some here allow and will bounce around causing plenty of internal damage.
:iagree: I've seen these damage a 22lr from a pistol can do to a human. Multiple permanent cavities from a single projectile. Not something you want to get hit by.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

There is so much variance with these ballistic reports it's hard to draw firm count on it conclusions.

There is a lengthy article written by some morgue worker, maybe a doctor, with yesrs of experience in gun shot deaths. He reported some killed with one hit of .22 and, some died after a dozen rounds of .357, etc., just about every variation.

The money line in that article was "with a .44 magnum, there is no such thing as an attempted suicide."
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

JALLEN wrote:.22LR is not that bad. As I linked in another thread on a related topic earlier, the IDF uses modified 10/22s and other rimfire weapons for some missions, including as "hush puppies." In the right role, you can spread a lot of misery and despair.
Just because the IDF uses .22lr for certain roles does not mean that it is suitable for self defense. If you want to keep one handy in the truck for dispatching critters on the farm, that is one thing... but as a truck gun to fight off 2 legged vermin, nope. Too many better options available. The saying is to use the handgun to fight your way to the rifle... if I am in that situation, I want to fight my way to something a little more powerful than a .22lr.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

cmgee67 wrote: Pros:
Holds a bunch of rounds
Very light
Very accurate
Recoil is virtually zero
40gr hollow points are nasty boogers
Can hide in its case under the seat easily
200$ if stolen not 600-1000$ like the AR
AR standard magazines hold 30. Rugers BX25 magazines holds 25.
AR is heavier but the weight doesn't bother me and won't matter if I need to use it.
AR just as accurate and at further distances as well.
More recoil than a 22lr but nothing an adult can't take.
55gr bullets are nastier.
Can hide an AR under the seat just as easy.
Yup. A stolen AR hurts more than a stolen 10/22.

I personally prefer to have an AR. More power and penetration. Centerfire ammunition is much more reliable than rimfire. The advantages just outweigh the disadvantages. Your choice though.
― Horace Mann

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I didn't state that the 22 will be my self defense rifle. That is what my AR is for. But its replacing the AR in the truck because I'd rather have it stolen than the AR. I'd actually prefer nothing to be stolen lol. And it's main purpose is for critters. And if I had to I could use to defend myself. This is not a self defense rifle but basically an OSR ( oh _______ rifle ). And adults can handle the recoil of an AR but not all of them. My fiancé who is 115lbs soaking wet can't shoot the AR well because it kicks but she can shoot the 22 in the same hole rapidly. So carrying a big gun isn't about the man card. Sometimes a smaller option is ok. And a Ruger Bx mag holds 25 ok?? They can snap together so you have 50'rounds really quick. Rim fire is not as reliable but using quality ammo makes a big difference. This is all a matter of opinions. I personally wouldn't want to get shot with anything. A buddy of mine told me his friend was a Deputy in Arkansas and got shot with a 22 in the abdomen the bullet bounced around and lodged in His heart killing him. So all in all i understand all of yalls valid points. This is why I like this forum. People can do this and stay civilized. I have been on other cites where such is not the case

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

cmgee67 wrote:I didn't state that the 22 will be my self defense rifle. That is what my AR is for. But its replacing the AR in the truck because I'd rather have it stolen than the AR. I'd actually prefer nothing to be stolen lol. And it's main purpose is for critters. And if I had to I could use to defend myself. This is not a self defense rifle but basically an OSR ( oh _______ rifle ). And adults can handle the recoil of an AR but not all of them. My fiancé who is 115lbs soaking wet can't shoot the AR well because it kicks but she can shoot the 22 in the same hole rapidly. So carrying a big gun isn't about the man card. Sometimes a smaller option is ok. And a Ruger Bx mag holds 25 ok?? They can snap together so you have 50'rounds really quick. Rim fire is not as reliable but using quality ammo makes a big difference. This is all a matter of opinions. I personally wouldn't want to get shot with anything. A buddy of mine told me his friend was a Deputy in Arkansas and got shot with a 22 in the abdomen the bullet bounced around and lodged in His heart killing him. So all in all i understand all of yalls valid points. This is why I like this forum. People can do this and stay civilized. I have been on other cites where such is not the case
Yup it's lethal alright. I've seen it happen personally. Quality higher velocity ammunition seems to work will. I like CCI mini mags. Didn't even think about the woman. My wife can shoot my 10/22 but also won't touch any other rifle I got. You know exactly what you need buddy. :thumbs2: The 10/22 is the way to go.
― Horace Mann

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”