FL: Cop shot wrong guy

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FL: Cop shot wrong guy

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
flowrie wrote:I also remember reading somewhere (don't remember where) that 30% of LEO's can shoot, 30% are about like your average civilian, and the other 30% should not be allowed to carry any weapon. No disrespected intended, I love all of our LEO's.
Maybe lack of practice, perhaps due to budgets.

But in any case, this one looks like bad judgement.
I was at the range recently shooting next to an off duty LEO (he checked in in front of me and showed his credentials to shoot free that day, and also had his duty belt on). The poor guy was very inaccurate with what looked to be his Glock 17. He sprayed rounds all over the torso sized target, and off the target, at 7 yards. This was slow, aimed, fire. The poor guy looked young so maybe he was still in training? It made me happy that this range allowed LEO's to shoot free so they can get practice if needed, but it was also very scary.

The amount of firearms training LEOs receive is limited to say the least. I don't know if it's changed since I went through the academy, but we got one week of combined range and classroom instruction, very little actual tactical training, and only one evening of night firing, one day of shotgun, and no rifle training at all (no one carried rifles in patrol cars then) After that, most departments don't require officers to qualify but twice a year. I hope the LEO you saw does get more training, I took additional training courses while a LEO, and practiced a lot on my own. The good thing was you just had to let the department range master know you wanted to use the range and you only had supply your ammo. While in the academy there was no actual score keeping, on the range, but to qualify as an expert marksman, with my department, I had to hit 90% or more every 6 months. To pass qualification you had to hit 75%.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Beiruty wrote:A Lebanese proverb: An Excuse more ugly than the Sin.
Oh, I like that. I like it a lot!

Chas.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Beiruty »

Many PD do not have their own range or training facility, our City (100K resident or so) PD does not have one yet. With the latest $225,000,000 bond, our PD would have one. I hope I can shoot there as I have many friends there ;) Shooting with PD's buddies is great.

Our PD is not left leaning, on the contrary, in our Citizens Police Academy they teach: Get armed, get trained, defend yourself. We are arriving shortly to help". :txflag: :txflag: :txflag:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

Beiruty wrote:Many PD do not have their own range or training facility, our City (100K resident or so) PD does not have one yet. With the latest $225,000,000 bond, our PD would have one. I hope I can shoot there as I have many friends there ;) Shooting with PD's buddies is great.

Our PD is not left leaning, on the contrary, in our Citizens Police Academy they teach: Get armed, get trained, defend yourself. We are arriving shortly to help". :txflag: :txflag: :txflag:
Did your police chief sign ATF Form 4's for NFA items before they dropped the CLEO signoff?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Beiruty »

ScottDLS wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Many PD do not have their own range or training facility, our City (100K resident or so) PD does not have one yet. With the latest $225,000,000 bond, our PD would have one. I hope I can shoot there as I have many friends there ;) Shooting with PD's buddies is great.

Did your police chief sign ATF Form 4's for NFA items before they dropped the CLEO signoff?
I did not ask, but I was told he is a good guy. Maybe my name does not help in this department. After CLEO signoff is dropped, I may consider converting a AK M85 pistol into SBR. Still I will have a trust for our family.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

Beiruty wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

I did not ask, but I was told he is a good guy. Maybe my name does not help in this department. After CLEO signoff is dropped, I may consider converting a AK M85 pistol into SBR. Still I will have a trust for our family.
CLEO signoff went away 7/14/16...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

flowrie wrote:
Beiruty wrote:A Lebanese proverb: An Excuse more ugly than the Sin.
My drill sergeant used to say something like that, he also added a comparison to a sows ear full of waste matter.
Then he would have instructed us to find the bullets that were fired, don't return until you find them.

I also remember reading somewhere (don't remember where) that 30% of LEO's can shoot, 30% are about like your average civilian, and the other 30% should not be allowed to carry any weapon. No disrespected intended, I love all of our LEO's.
Maybe lack of practice, perhaps due to budgets.

But in any case, this one looks like bad judgement.
What about the other 10%? Did they already get their guns taken away?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”