Gun 'mistakes' in Books, TV, and Movies - feel free to post your own

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dwsintxs
Posts in topic: 8

Gun 'mistakes' in Books, TV, and Movies - feel free to post your own

Post by dwsintxs »

I recently posted this first one under another heading as ''The New 45 acp Sig revolver' and I just found another and thought it might be fun to post a few more-

Here is the 1st one. . . that I posted weeks ago, and also another one I just found. Please post your own as you find them.

# # #
Just read a novel and in the action scene, good guy hands his friend a gun to use in what they expect to be an upcoming gunfight. here is how the author described the gun.

He opened the glove compartment and removed a blue-steel revolver. "This is a Sig Sauer .45 caliber," he explained as he loaded the clip, slid the safety to off and handed it to Mason.

I thought that might be good for a chuckle.

a few pages earlier in the same novel, a woman shoots a man with a shotgun two times and it tears him in half, and as he is falling, his finger pulled on the trigger emptying the CLIP and one of the rounds hit a propane tank and blew up an entire house.

BTW - this is from a writer who has written an entire series of cop and lawyer-in-trouble books, and I would think that he'd do just a tad bit more research. . . .but hey, what do I know?

Another one by the same writer has the good guy when he 'saw the bad guy 'thumb the safety to the off position on the Glock'
# # #

Here is the 2nd one - I just found it in a novel featuring lawyers, cops and a private investigator -

"The Glock was loaded, I'd bought a couple of boxes of ammo at a gun shop in McLean - but out of force of habit I thumbed the cylinder release latch and checked again. Jacketed hollow point ammo to increase the odds of stopping them. Then I pulled out my shirt and stuck the pistol under my belt under my shirttails and got out of the car."

# # #

Maybe it's just because I only own 2 Glocks, (maybe I don't understand what he was referring to) but what got me was the thumbing of 'the cylinder release latch'

# # #

If someone writes romance novels, I'm not going to care if they get the gun stuff right, but if you're writing a series of cop books, as both these writers have ( 30 -40 books total between them) them I would think they'd get it right.
TV shows and movies should get it right too, since they have big budgets and should be able to afford to hire someone to get it right.

# # #

Feel free to post any mistakes you find.

-

mloot
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun 'mistakes' in Books, TV, and Movies - feel free to post your own

Post by mloot »

I was watching an episode of Agent Carter some time ago and Carter had put a gun in the back of a bad guy who was in front of her. There was the sound effect of a revolver being thumb-cocked into single action, but the gun she was holding was a 1911 and the hammer was up, as if it was a double action pistol.

Topic author
dwsintxs
Posts in topic: 8

Post by dwsintxs »

I just read a few more paragraphs of this novel, and the guy 'cocked' the Glock. . . . .he didn't rack the slide, he 'cocked' it.

mupepe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mupepe »

In the show Better Call Saul there is a character using a Taurus Judge in 2002... 8 years before it was produced. I caught that while watching and my wife called me a nerd.

mupepe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mupepe »

Oh and Stephen King LOVES to use the phrase "Army Issued .45" in his books for some reason. It's everywhere in The Stand. And clip.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

The foley artists for the TV show "Castle" love to put in gratuitous slide racking/hammer cocking sounds. Cracks me up. Apparently NYPD detectives aren't allowed to carry their duty pistols with one in the pipe.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jusme »

I don't have a specific movie in mind, but in general, when I see a gunfight, and bullets creating sparks on every metal surface they come in contact with, bothers me. As well as the number of rounds, apparently available, in double barrel shotguns, without reloading, I saw one where he got off eight shots. :confused5
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RogueUSMC »

mupepe wrote:In the show Better Call Saul there is a character using a Taurus Judge in 2002... 8 years before it was produced. I caught that while watching and my wife called me a nerd.
Not saying it was the same gun but...lol

I think it was Colt that made what was called a 'Thunder 5". They say it was made for the special forces in the Gulf War. It was a revolver that fired .45 Colt, .410 and an alternate cylinder chambered in .45-270 :shock: :shock:
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

The Bourne books are horrible for bad gun info. It completely turned me off the series.

On the other hand, Larry Correia does a great job with firearms in his Monster Hunter series (which is awesome). You can tell he's a gun guy.

dlh
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dlh »

My favorite is the gun blooper in the movie Anaconda. One of the stars fires multiple rounds at the snake using a bolt action rifle---problem is---they never operate the bolt---hehe. Did they turn a bolt-action rifle into a semi-automatic? Despite that, if you are a Jon Voight fan then that movie is a must see! :lol:
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

It seams like in most movies EVERY AR-15 is fully automatic! I think that is classic! I was in the military. Even then all we had was 3 round burst, no fully automatic!!!! :roll:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

:iagree:
Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in. I don't recall if it was this or another forum where it
was stated that the terms clip & magazine were commonly interchanged for years. The differentiation started
around the end of the Vietnam war if I remember correctly. Some of us that are 'older' still sometimes flip flop
the terms.

Keep in mind that most writers of books/movies take 'dramatic license/liberties' with the story line and are meant
to be entertaining and an escape from reality.

In the Butch & Sundance movie with Newman and Redford they had those new fangled revolvers that fired
anywhere from six rounds all the way up to, what I believe, was a high of 15 or 17 without a reload.

:txflag: :patriot:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jusme »

dlh wrote:My favorite is the gun blooper in the movie Anaconda. One of the stars fires multiple rounds at the snake using a bolt action rifle---problem is---they never operate the bolt---hehe. Did they turn a bolt-action rifle into a semi-automatic? Despite that, if you are a Jon Voight fan then that movie is a must see! :lol:

If it had an online purchased scope and a grocery store adapter, then it's perfectly legit. It would at least have been a double shot rifle. "rlol"
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

dwsintxs wrote: If someone writes romance novels, I'm not going to care if they get the gun stuff right...
Nope, no free passes for romance authors. If you're going to include it in your story get it right. Writing about love doesn't exclude you from being knowledgeable about weapons. Nor is it excusable to propagate inaccurate information just because your reader base is primarily female. It's degrading.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”