Full size 9mm pistol for small hands

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 9

Full size 9mm pistol for small hands

Post by bblhd672 »

I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseam before - I did search a couple of times and didn't see a thread(s).

I want to add a full size 9mm pistol to my collection for use as a open-carry/barely concealed carry option and to have more rounds available before changing magazines.

I've been looking at pistols with ambidextrous safeties so I can use it with either hand - narrowed search to Beretta 92A1 and Ruger American Pistol (new model 8608). Saw both at FW Gun Show this weekend - disappointed to discover that my index finger barely reaches the trigger on both of them.

So, back to drawing board and looking for recommendations from the good guys and gals here who've been there/done that on this topic.

Wants:
Full size - minimum 4 inch barrel
Mag capacity - minimum 13+1
Manual thumb safety - ambidextrous preferred.

Thanks in advance!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Full size 9mm pistol for small hands

Post by Keith B »

No external safety, but the Glock 19 Gen 4 has interchangeable back straps that allow you to adjust grip size. https://us.glock.com/products/model/g19gen4

If you really want an external safety, then I would suggest the M&P 9. It has interchangeable palm grips as well. many ladies like the M&P feel for their small hands. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Keith B wrote:No external safety, but the Glock 19 Gen 4 has interchangeable back straps that allow you to adjust grip size. https://us.glock.com/products/model/g19gen4

If you really want an external safety, then I would suggest the M&P 9. It has interchangeable palm grips as well. many ladies like the M&P feel for their small hands. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y

:iagree:

+1 on the M&P 9 I have very small hands for a guy, that's the main reason I don't shoot a 1911. I can't manipulate all of the functions without having to shift hand positions. My wife and I both have the M&P and can reach everything without having to shift hand positions.
We also have the Hogue Handall grips installed. They are the same dimension toward the rear as the small palm swell, but add finger grips with a very secure rubber grip. The M&P has functioned flawlessly for me, no fail to fire,eject, or feed with over 2500 rounds through it. The only issue I have is the slide release, it was almost impossible to release it without having to work the slide when I first got it. The issue has improved over time. Mine has no external safety, it's never been an issue.

I did like the H&K I handled the other day, with the exception of the mag release, my short thumb couldn't reach it. I haven't held the Ruger American yet, but I am intrigued by it and will definitely give a try when I get the chance.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I've never looked at CZ before, but now interested after hearing Charles Cotton talk on a TFC Podcast about getting one for his wife and having the trigger moved to allow her short finger to reach it properly.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Jusme wrote:
Keith B wrote:No external safety, but the Glock 19 Gen 4 has interchangeable back straps that allow you to adjust grip size. https://us.glock.com/products/model/g19gen4

:iagree:

+1 on the M&P 9 I have very small hands for a guy, that's the main reason I don't shoot a 1911. I can't manipulate all of the functions without having to shift hand positions. My wife and I both have the M&P and can reach everything without having to shift hand positions.
We also have the Hogue Handall grips installed. They are the same dimension toward the rear as the small palm swell, but add finger grips with a very secure rubber grip. The M&P has functioned flawlessly for me, no fail to fire,eject, or feed with over 2500 rounds through it. The only issue I have is the slide release, it was almost impossible to release it without having to work the slide when I first got it. The issue has improved over time. Mine has no external safety, it's never been an issue.

I did like the H&K I handled the other day, with the exception of the mag release, my short thumb couldn't reach it. I haven't held the Ruger American yet, but I am intrigued by it and will definitely give a try when I get the chance.
You talking about the full size M&P9, not the Compact model?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Yes, here's a photo with my EDC.Image

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

bblhd672 wrote:I've never looked at CZ before, but now interested after hearing Charles Cotton talk on a TFC Podcast about getting one for his wife and having the trigger moved to allow her short finger to reach it properly.
I now have a CZ75 Compact too with the CajunGunWorks.com Pro Package. (I installed it myself. The link is to the Pro Package for a decocker. There's a different one for a CZ with a safety.) This includes the Reach Reduction Kit that sets the trigger back 5mm in the double action position. I realize you want a full size gun, but the term "Compact" in CZ lingo is somewhat misleading. The Compact has a 3.8" barrel so it's closer to a Springfield Champion or Kimber Pro Carry size guns than a true compact like a Smith M&P 9C (3.5")

The CajunGunWorks parts and kits also fit the full size CZ75s.

I have to put a bag over my head when I say this, but my CZ is rapidly becoming by favorite handgun. That's almost physically painful for this old 1911 guy to say.
Chas.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Ditto on the M&P 9 - Full Size 4.25" barrel. 3 different back strap sizes to use, can get one with manual safety, not sure about ambi ones, i have no manual safety on mine i carry daily.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:I've never looked at CZ before, but now interested after hearing Charles Cotton talk on a TFC Podcast about getting one for his wife and having the trigger moved to allow her short finger to reach it properly.
I now have a CZ75 Compact too with the CajunGunWorks.com Pro Package. (I installed it myself. The link is to the Pro Package for a decocker. There's a different one for a CZ with a safety.) This includes the Reach Reduction Kit that sets the trigger back 5mm in the double action position. I realize you want a full size gun, but the term "Compact" in CZ lingo is somewhat misleading. The Compact has a 3.8" barrel so it's closer to a Springfield Champion or Kimber Pro Carry size guns than a true compact like a Smith M&P 9C (3.5")

The CajunGunWorks parts and kits also fit the full size CZ75s.

I have to put a bag over my head when I say this, but my CZ is rapidly becoming by favorite handgun. That's almost physically painful for this old 1911 guy to say.
Chas.
Thanks. I couldn't remember exactly which CZ you were talking about. Looked at Cajun Gun Works site and discovered they are located in the town I grew up in La.

karder

Post by karder »

The HK VP9 has the interchangeable back straps as well and is a real beauty. Only a couple of months ago I was at a gun store debating the HK VP40 or the Walther PPQ .40. It was a tough call but I got the HK. I love the ergos on both the VP and PPQ pistols. If you're searching for top quality a 9mm with interchangeable back straps, take a look at the HK and Walther offerings.
:tiphat:

edited to add: These pistols don't have external manual safeties so that may be a deal killer for you. When I first started carrying, a manual safety was one of my requirements, but my feelings on those have evolved over the years.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Try a Browning Hi-Power. I have medium size hands and it fits my hands perfectly. I tried the Beretta 92 back when I decided on my Hi-Power. They are not cheap and are a little heavy but I love mine.
Last edited by mojo84 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

I have very small hands and the p226 is very comfortable to shoot. It does NOT have an external safety but it is DA/SA. It is also the pistol of choice for the Navy SEALs and Texas Rangers so you know you're in good company carrying it.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

For reference purposes, I measured my hands.

Open as wide as possible from tip of my thumb to tip of pinky finger 8"
Thumb joint to tip of index finger-5"
Thumb length 2-1/4"
Palm width 3-5/8"
Bottom of palm to tip of middle finger 7"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”