Recommend A Good Cleaning Gun Spray!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Recommend A Good Cleaning Gun Spray!

Post by Abraham »

I have a Browning Buckmark .22 cal pistol that is a booger to disassemble and clean, therefore I clean what I can get to, then use a 'boresnake' and call it good enough.

That said, I've some other guns that are quite difficult to disassemble and would like to find a spray that cleans and lubes without me having to disassemble - if in fact there is such an animal. Yes, I fully appreciate this isn't the ideal cleaning method, but something I'd like to do to better get to difficult parts without complete disassembly.

What say you?

Thanks!!

SIGFan43
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommend A Good Cleaning Gun Spray!

Post by SIGFan43 »

Try Break Free, a cleaner, lubricant, preservative product.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

goose

Post by goose »

I like Break Free CLP. I have not exhaustively tested it verses others.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

MPro is an amazing cleaner, & I recently tried their lubricant as well and like it too. The cleaner is a surficant, & pretty much removes any carbon AND oil on the gun, but is mild on you & the gun. I have a big spray bottle of it, & use it sparingly (as in reserved for very gunky ARs after too much lube & shooting, without cleaning...) because it is pricey.

Complete disassembly shouldn't be an issue since the gunk will likely run out of the gun. Since it removes the oil from the gun you'd need to ensure that you re-lube it adequately, getting any parts not disassembled.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote:I have a Browning Buckmark .22 cal pistol that is a booger to disassemble and clean, therefore I clean what I can get to, then use a 'boresnake' and call it good enough.

That said, I've some other guns that are quite difficult to disassemble and would like to find a spray that cleans and lubes without me having to disassemble - if in fact there is such an animal. Yes, I fully appreciate this isn't the ideal cleaning method, but something I'd like to do to better get to difficult parts without complete disassembly.

What say you?

Thanks!!
Be glad it's a Browning and not a Ruger MkIII or 22/45. :cool:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

Thanks all and keep em coming.

Once I get everyone's recommendations, I'll start buying and trying.

Thanks again!!

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I feel your pain. I have a Ruger Mk III .22 that can be kind of a pain to disassemble.

I haven't tried a lot of different ones, but Gun Scrubber by Beachwood Casey has always worked very well for me. Comes in an aerosol spray can. I'm always amazed at how well it works.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

I agree with using Gun Scrubber. I do run a snake through the bore also. I have used Gun Scrubber for years, after I first used it, I took a glock and a Ruger 22/45 apart and did a complete clean and found that Gun Scrubber had left very little if any residue behind. I still use separate lubricant, as Gun Scrubber cleans but is not intended to lubricate.
Guns Scrubber is easily found, even at Wallyworld.

P.S. I am not saying Gun Scrubber is the do all end all. I have not tried them all but I am satisfied with the results for the past few years. I still keep a bottle of Hoppe's #9 around if only for the smell. :cool:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Beiruty »

Use BreakFree CLP (or Rem action cleaners) and invest in a portable air compressor. Fill it up and blow away all that gunk. Follow with Rem Oil.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I use Break Free CLP. The Browning isn't really all that bad once you've done it a couple of time. There are lots of videos on it.
I know Hickok45 uses Ballistol.

http://ballistol.com/uses/firearm-cleaning-lubricant/

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

I use carb & choke cleaner, myself. Then follow up with clp, or any light weapon oil. The compressor idea sounds good too. Just make sure all the small parts are accounted for.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

There is a new Pro series cleaner from Remington. Anyone can give his feedback?
Beiruty,

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

growlerVII wrote:I use carb & choke cleaner, myself. Then follow up with clp, or any light weapon oil. The compressor idea sounds good too. Just make sure all the small parts are accounted for.
The only issue with the air compressor is that there might be some humidity in the compressed air. There is an option for descant filter to get the water out..
Beiruty,

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The memory is the 2nd thing to go! :biggrinjester:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Abraham wrote:Bitter Clinger ,

I like your idea, but some of my guns (Glock/Browning Buckmark/) begin to have ejection problems after say 2/3 hundred rounds that cleaning cures. The burned powder residue hampers the action in these pistols. To be sure, so far my AR's can be shot without cleaning very often and perform flawlessly.

Do you recommend any solvent/cleaner type solution you squirt into moving parts and then lube without disassembly and cleaning that keeps your guns performing?

Much like Carlson 1, I take no pleasure in gun cleaning. It's simply another chore I'd like to limit if possible without suffering poor performance.
I have run as much as 3-5000 rounds through my Springfield XDm's without anything more than lubing of the slide (say using Rem oil) before each outing. Again, if you are running reloads, then you may see considerably greater contamination. I ONLY run clean, factory new ammo.

I do use a pretty heavy duty spray cleaner when I do finally field strip (and never go beyond field stripping) such as Birchwood Casey "Gun Scrubber" and over time I have come to favor Safariland Break Free "CLP" for detailed final cleaning and re-assembly. These are simply my personal preferences with no hard data to back up my selections other than I can tell you that as long as I keep the guns lubed, they seem to run virtually forever. Hope this helps...

P.S. I do agree with you and Carlson. Only worse chore IMHO is bleeding brakes :eek6
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

On most of my guns, I'll use either Gun Scrubber or Hoppe's Elite as a cleaner. Wipe. Wait a few minutes for all to dry. Then I follow that with a quick application of the aerosol version of TW25B. It's a dry lubricant that's also a desiccant: displaces/dries moisture, then lays down an extremely thin, dry-lube layer on all surfaces it hits. I'll end with a little dab of grease or oil on the significant wear points, if/as desired.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”