Anybody own a Sig P226 in 9mm?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anybody own a Sig P226 in 9mm?

Post by G.A. Heath »

A few years ago I found a LE trade in P226 (Made in Germany roll mark but no rail) for less than $500. I later got an offer from Sig for a steep discount on some Nil Walnut grips, I purchased those. A year later Sig offered a steep discount on their Sig Service Plan and i sent the P226 in and got it back in top mechanical form with new tritium nightsites. Its a pleasure to shoot and one of my favorites.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

TexasTornado wrote:
Scott B. wrote:We've got a Mk25 D in the shop that keeps whispering, "take me home, take me home." :drool:

The 226 in 9 is terrific. You won't be disappointed.
Why on earth haven't you taken the baby home then? That's just mean. How can you be so heartless when it's begging for a good home?

If I start listening to one...the others might gang up on me. :fire
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 10

Post by cmgee67 »

TexasTornado wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Oh I'm not buying the gun just to save money I'm buying it cuz it's amazing and feeeeeeelllls so good in the band and love the way it handles! I'll be picking one up in a week or two and I seriously can't wait!
I had doubts when I got mine. It didn't have a manual safety and it's BIG (at least for tiny girl hands) but I couldn't be happier with it. I love it and my mom and dad both have tried to steal it. Lesson: if it's good enough for the Texas Rangers and the Navy SEALs...yea just roll with it & don't argue.
I should have no excuses huh lol?

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

TexasTornado wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Oh I'm not buying the gun just to save money I'm buying it cuz it's amazing and feeeeeeelllls so good in the band and love the way it handles! I'll be picking one up in a week or two and I seriously can't wait!
I had doubts when I got mine. It didn't have a manual safety and it's BIG (at least for tiny girl hands) but I couldn't be happier with it. I love it and my mom and dad both have tried to steal it. Lesson: if it's good enough for the Texas Rangers and the Navy SEALs...yea just roll with it & don't argue.
I had no doubts about the manual safety but I never was completely comfortable with the grip, plus I'm left handed. All those were resolved when I found the P7M8. I liked that pistol a lot, but it carries 8+1 and gets hot real fast. I carried these two, one or the other, in San Diego for several years. Then I got my hands on the HK45. I intended to get two of those, but old age and decrepitude compelled me to stick with 9mm, so I now have 2 VP9s. They fit my hand much better and I have 15+1.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TexasTornado »

Scott B. wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
Scott B. wrote:We've got a Mk25 D in the shop that keeps whispering, "take me home, take me home." :drool:

The 226 in 9 is terrific. You won't be disappointed.
Why on earth haven't you taken the baby home then? That's just mean. How can you be so heartless when it's begging for a good home?

If I start listening to one...the others might gang up on me. :fire
But she's so sweet...just this once can't you keep her?
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

I've got the Sig P226 MK25 in 9mm and it's a tack driver and shoots flawlessly. The only problem I've had is finding a good selection of holsters for it. They seem to make plenty for the other P226's but not the MK25 model. Something to do with the rail being different.
CHL since 01/26/09

Revet

Post by Revet »

At this point all I can do is pile on.

I have a Blackwater model I took to a speed shooting class: 1200 rounds of cheap ammo, without cleaning, on a hot, dusty, Texas day--and not one failure. The instructor, a devoted Glock man, conceded that the Sig P226 is one of the precious few that make it through the course without embarrassing the owner.
Common sense is not common practice.
NRA Benefactor, TSRA life member.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I had a 226 9mm with night sights. I installed the SRT on it, and put a lasergrip in it. I used Mec-Gar 18 rounders with it.

I really liked it, but it was heavy for a 9mm and a G17 is only one round less and feels like a feather in comparison. Plus, I was on a .45 kick at that time... so I sold it and bought a .45 suppressor.

The sig is the best DA/SA on the market.
Last edited by AJSully421 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

NiMexicatl

Post by NiMexicatl »

Last edited by NiMexicatl on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XinTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by XinTX »

P226 is an awesome pistol. But don't count out it's little brother the P229. Both are great in 9mm, but shine in .40. And the P229 really shines in 357 SIG. The P226 is a full size pistol (like a G17) where the P229 is akin to the G19. As others have said, the P226 isn't a CCW, but you might be able to carry the P229. You can get either in 40/357 and convert it (via an aftermarket conversion barrel, or a SIG caliber exchange kit) to shoot 9mm. If you get a 9mm, you can't get a conversion barrel, but can get a SIG exchange kit (new slide, barrel, magazine, etc.). If you go with a P229 in 40 or 357, you can find a P228 'parts kit' pretty cheap. Those have the 9mm slide, barrel, and other parts. Best thing about having a separate 9mm slide is that with the SIG, the sight sets are different between the 9mm and the 40/357. So if you just use a conversion barrel, you may have to adjust your aim a bit.

But both are awesome pistols.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

XinTX wrote:P226 is an awesome pistol. But don't count out it's little brother the P229. Both are great in 9mm, but shine in .40. And the P229 really shines in 357 SIG. The P226 is a full size pistol (like a G17) where the P229 is akin to the G19. As others have said, the P226 isn't a CCW, but you might be able to carry the P229. You can get either in 40/357 and convert it (via an aftermarket conversion barrel, or a SIG caliber exchange kit) to shoot 9mm. If you get a 9mm, you can't get a conversion barrel, but can get a SIG exchange kit (new slide, barrel, magazine, etc.). If you go with a P229 in 40 or 357, you can find a P228 'parts kit' pretty cheap. Those have the 9mm slide, barrel, and other parts. Best thing about having a separate 9mm slide is that with the SIG, the sight sets are different between the 9mm and the 40/357. So if you just use a conversion barrel, you may have to adjust your aim a bit.

Gasp! The p226 isn't a CCW? Guess we'll just have to open carry then and let the sexiness shine :mrgreen:
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 10

Post by cmgee67 »

TexasTornado wrote:
XinTX wrote:P226 is an awesome pistol. But don't count out it's little brother the P229. Both are great in 9mm, but shine in .40. And the P229 really shines in 357 SIG. The P226 is a full size pistol (like a G17) where the P229 is akin to the G19. As others have said, the P226 isn't a CCW, but you might be able to carry the P229. You can get either in 40/357 and convert it (via an aftermarket conversion barrel, or a SIG caliber exchange kit) to shoot 9mm. If you get a 9mm, you can't get a conversion barrel, but can get a SIG exchange kit (new slide, barrel, magazine, etc.). If you go with a P229 in 40 or 357, you can find a P228 'parts kit' pretty cheap. Those have the 9mm slide, barrel, and other parts. Best thing about having a separate 9mm slide is that with the SIG, the sight sets are different between the 9mm and the 40/357. So if you just use a conversion barrel, you may have to adjust your aim a bit.

Gasp! The p226 isn't a CCW? Guess we'll just have to open carry then and let the sexiness shine :mrgreen:
This couldn't have been better said lol!

NiMexicatl

Post by NiMexicatl »

Last edited by NiMexicatl on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

It is very reliable, accurate and easy to maintain. I have a MK25 but due to the fact my CZ is still my favourite it sits there as a save queen.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

NiMexicatl wrote:

I disagree with the p226 not being a ccw. It might not have been designed to be so, but I don't find it difficult to do. Heres a pic I posted in the pictures of your daily carry thread.
file.jpg
*rolls eyes* yea I'd like to see you try that disappearing act at 5'2" or with hips for that matter. Even going up 2 jean sizes to make room, I can wear it IWB but it's so obvious what's the point?

NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”