What to do- Bull on property

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 15

Re: What to do- Bull on property

Post by rotor »

ELB wrote:Is the date correct on your game camera? He's been running around your property since July?

Whenever I had stray cattle, I just went to the nearest neighbor that I knew had cattle, and they took care of the problem. Sounds like that didn't work for you. When I called the Sheriff's office, they asked if it had a brand. Does your bull have one? Might help narrow down the search.

The Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raiser's Association says the law says to call the sheriff.
http://tscra.org/theft-law/report-stray ... AP_NI0zWGQ

Maybe if the sheriff or animal control doesn't expeditiously work the problem you can call them. They have a bunch of rangers whose specialties includes tracking down cattle.
Yes the date is right. We have seen him more recently than that date but there he was on the camera after we retrieved the card. I did not see any brand or tag but to be honest I was kind of shocked to see him, He had his back to us and I was really surprised when he rotated his head 180 degrees, looked at us, did the moo thing and pranced off. I can't turn my neck that far around.
All good advice here.

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

WTR wrote:We were told we could not destroy anthers property. That was just told to us by the one Deputy we interacted with. I was tempted to follow the 3 Ss.
I found this on the TSCRA website also:
Who do I call about estray (stray) livestock?

According to the Chapter 142 of the Texas Agriculture Code, the person in possession of the estray, or stray livestock, is required to "report the presence of the estray to the sheriff of the county in which the estray is discovered."

There is no such thing as finders keepers regarding estray livestock in Texas or Oklahoma. The finder of an estray may be charged with "Theft of Livestock" if he or she disposed of the estray outside of the estray procedure (Section 142 of the Texas Agriculture Code and Title 4-85.3 of the Oklahoma Animal Code).

Please assist the sheriff by providing the location, number and description of the estray livestock.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

This also brings to mind a solution I heard about in Colorado. When my brother died, I went up there to sort out things, and in his address book found a guy that drove overnight from Montana to be at my brother's funeral. My brother's friends all described this guy as a genuine cowboy, cattle-raisin' is what he did all his life. They said while he was still in Colorado (Castle Rock, where my brother lived), he had trouble with one of his neighbors not keeping up the fence and strays roaming all over his property. Repeated calls to the neighbor and the sheriff did not help, it kept happening over and over.

So one day (or it may have been night, actually) Mr. Cowboy got tired of this, loaded up all the strays in a stock trailer, and released them on the town square in downtown Castle Rock, Colorado. ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

ELB wrote:Is the date correct on your game camera? He's been running around your property since July?

Whenever I had stray cattle, I just went to the nearest neighbor that I knew had cattle, and they took care of the problem. Sounds like that didn't work for you. When I called the Sheriff's office, they asked if it had a brand. Does your bull have one? Might help narrow down the search.

The Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raiser's Association says the law says to call the sheriff.
http://tscra.org/theft-law/report-stray ... AP_NI0zWGQ

Maybe if the sheriff or animal control doesn't expeditiously work the problem you can call them. They have a bunch of rangers whose specialties includes tracking down cattle.

ETA: They even have a nifty map so you can call the right ranger for your area: http://tscra.org/theft-law/find-ranger- ... AQDTo0zWGR
ETA:2: The TSCRA website also lists "•Determine the ownership of estray, or stray, livestock" as one of a TSCRA special ranger's duties.
http://tscra.org/theft-law/index.html#.WAQGz40zWGQ
USAF 1982-2005

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

Fire up the grill, we are having steak tonight!
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by WTR »

twomillenium wrote:Fire up the grill, we are having steak tonight!

You can have your bull meat.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Perhaps the game warden could assist. :txflag:

http://tpwd.texas.gov/warden/

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Buy a cow...

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AJSully421 »

Open any of your gates to the nearest road off your property, mount the aforementioned ATV, Yell "YAH" a bunch, and get Buford on to the road where you will get much more prompt and courteous service from the Sheriff's Department... now that it is firmly "their problem" being out on a road, not on your property.

Knowing is half the battle.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by WTR »

AJSully421 wrote:Open any of your gates to the nearest road off your property, mount the aforementioned ATV, Yell "YAH" a bunch, and get Buford on to the road where you will get much more prompt and courteous service from the Sheriff's Department... now that it is firmly "their problem" being out on a road, not on your property.

Easier said than done. I was trying to handle the problem from 700 miles away. My MIL on the scene is 84.

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 15

Post by rotor »

All good suggestions except buy a cow. I just don't like animals around me that are bigger than me. Pigs I can handle. And are legal to shoot.

KLB

Post by KLB »

I, too, am a city boy, but I lease the grazing rights on my land. The grazer runs a cow-calf operation, and he's always got a bull out there. I try to be aware if the bull is among a group of cows I approach. I count on the cows making way for me, but when on foot, I give the bull a wide berth. I take a live and let live approach and have never had a problem.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AJSully421 »

WTR wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:Open any of your gates to the nearest road off your property, mount the aforementioned ATV, Yell "YAH" a bunch, and get Buford on to the road where you will get much more prompt and courteous service from the Sheriff's Department... now that it is firmly "their problem" being out on a road, not on your property.

Easier said than done. I was trying to handle the problem from 700 miles away. My MIL on the scene is 84.
Gotcha. Where is this place? Might be able to get some local help from a forum member.

Also, there is a section in the Tx Agg code that says you should report stray cattle mighty quick to your local Sheriff. Probably the best thing to do.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

Next time you see him see if he is branded and get a picture of the brand. All brands should be registered in the county courthouse.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”