How long do they last?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Battousai
Posts in topic: 1

How long do they last?

Post by Battousai »

How long do your holsters last? Before they crack, or the leather is soft?

I have a half leather, half kydex hybrid holster and it has lasted 3.5 years, and the kydex is cracking in several places, along with the leather being soft.

So how long do your holsters last?! And what type are they?

n5wmk

Re: How long do they last?

Post by n5wmk »

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my XDs. Been using this holster daily for over 3 years, summer and winter. And I do tend to perspire a lot in the DFW summertime. No indication that the leather is getting excessively soft, and no sign at all of the kydex starting to crack.

I carry in the 3 o'clock position always. To adjust the cant to my liking, I have the front belt clip in the middle of 3 holes in the leather, and the rear clip in the bottom hole. That leaves about 3/4 inch of leather below the front clip, and that part is curling up onto the clip. I'm sure that's not due to any excess "me" that pushes up on that part of the leather when I'm sitting down.... ;-)

I did order this holster in horsehide instead of cowhide - more impervious to perspiration soak-thru, supposedly.

I also own 2 more Supertucks, one for my 1911 and one for my full-size Springfield XD Tactical, but I don't carry those anywhere nearly as much as the XDs.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Don't you just love these kind of questions? There are so many variables to consider. Your question leads to many other questions. There is no definite answer other than they last until they break. :lol:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have not had a single holster wear out. Then again, I do rotate my holsters and none of them are all that old. The oldest ones are 8 years old and they are all fine.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Depending on who you bought the holster from, they warrant their work commonly. I had a friend whop had his Crossbreed crack and Crossbreed replaced it. He had worn the snot outta that holster for four years...

I know Alien Gear will provide you with a new shell if you change guns and they replace the shells if they crack...

Who did you get the holster from?
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I have a couple of Tucker HF1s that are pushing 20yrs old. Had one before chlforum was born in '04 I believe. Lotta character marks from reholstering, bumping stuff. Still good. My Raven concealment system is my oldest kydex. Been converted for 10yrs or so now. No cracks & I wear it every day.
:fire
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Well, I have my grandfather's leather holster and his Colt .38 Banker's Special, bought in the 1920s. It just gets a bit of neatsfoot oil now and then. (I know that's not the ind of answer you were looking for, but I couldn't resist.) :lol:
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I have had a Cross Breed Super Tuck since 2009. I have literally soaked in through with sweat. I just disassembled it, saddle soaped the leather and pressed it flat under a heavy book. Still works great. I did misshape the Kydex once when I grabbed the empty holster by the Kydex. 115 out side, I hate to guess the temp inside the truck. Sent the holster back to Cross Breed and asked if they could reshape it. I got it back 3 days later with a roll of cherry lifesavers and a note thanking me for my patronage,

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The only holsters I've used with regularity were Blackhawk kydex. I've used them for over ten years and haven't noticed any wear. The same holster for my Glock .45's I've had for about 3 years without any noticeable wear either. My latest holster is a Safariland 7TS. I've only had it since May, I think. I expect the same quality from this holster and think it should last for many years to come.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I have only been carrying about a year so I can't give you really any good examples. I do have a crossbreed super tuck and a few others. All mine look to be about 3-4 years old. I guess it's cuz I'm hard on everything. Lately I've been carrying in a Vedder holsters light tuck and love it. Check out Vedder or crossbreed or desantis. They are all pretty good

WhoWouldGuess

Post by WhoWouldGuess »

I have some holsters still in use from the 1970s. Back then, most holsters were all leather. What has caused some old ones to fail is when the metal fittings (snaps, mostly) have corroded. But the leather is still in good shape.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I have had a few of the one piece kydex holsters that I wore almost daily for a few years... the clips seemed to loosen up after about 2-3 years. (taking them on and off several times per day) I did have one crack a few years ago and the maker offered me a free replacement but I declined as $40 for 2+ years of daily wear plus range abuse was more than I expected. Those were thin kydex. I now use thicker kydex and have had no such issues.

I haven't worn out a good leather holster... I have ruined a few ( :oops: ) but not worn them out.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”