Please identify some rifles for me

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Wag2323
Posts in topic: 3

Please identify some rifles for me

Post by Wag2323 »

I had a family member recently pass and my family is trying to figure out what he had and what they would like to do with it. I am not local to most of my family so they sent me some videos of his guns. I personally didn't know he had what he did, I mostly talked to him about his tractors and trains.

So the pictures below are not very good because they are from a video. I need some help with the two rifles and maybe the pellet gun. The middle rifle looks like a M1 any idea what the second from the bottom is? The second from the top looks like a pellet gun, any one know what kind it is?

Thanks for any help.

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Please identify some rifles for me

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

airgun looks like a pre-1991 Benjamin, maybe a Model 312 (1960s?)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

kbarrick

Post by kbarrick »

While I can't identify either of the rifles, I can say that neither is an M1 rifle or an M1 carbine. They appear to be military surplus.
Keith

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

The air rifle definitely looks like a vintage Benjamin, but it's hard to know the exact model. Benjamin model numbers ended in either a 7 or a 2 depending on the caliber; 7 for .177 and 2 for .22. A model 107 or 177 would be .177 and a model 342 would be .22 cal. It's an older model, but they are very good air rifles. It should be marked with the maker's name and caliber - .22 or .177. The single shot break open shotgun could be any number of manufacturers as could be the side by side double barrel shotgun. If the shotguns are USA made they could be Savage/Stevens (ex. 311 double barrel) which were the most popular or a variation made for the big box stores, IE Sears, Wards, Western Auto, etc. Of course there are numerous other American manufacturers, especially for single barrel break open shotguns, H&R, Winchester, among them and myriad foreign makers. The single barrel shotgun has had the stock length reduced for a shorter length of pull, perhaps for a child or petite woman. It also is a lower end model with a hardwood stock VS walnut. The rifle next to the double barrel shotgun may be a Mauser. If so the photos aren't good enough to determine which model it could beis. Both the rifles are military issue. Clearer pictures and close ups; especially of the receivers would help, plus any markings. Sorry to hear of the passing of your relative.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Mauser MAY be a Czech 1922. The other milsurp is much tougher. Is it a bolt or semi? Could be a French 49, but need more/better photos. Would help if there were some of the reciever markings.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:Second from bottom looks like a Mauser action - k98 family or the like.
I think you're right.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

kbarrick wrote:While I can't identify either of the rifles, I can say that neither is an M1 rifle or an M1 carbine. They appear to be military surplus.
Keith
That's correct. Nothing on the M1 protrudes to the rear of the action like that. Here is what an M1 receiver looks like:

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Thank you guys for some of the help. As I said this is all I have because it was just a cellphone video sent to me. It is unlikely I get anything better than what I have at this point, most of the family doesn't care much about guns other than what some use to hunt with. The typical hunting rifles and 22s they were able to tell me about, these I posted they didn't look at to much I think.

At some point the family will divide up some of the guns and probably anything that someone doesn't want I probably ask my dad to hold on to them until I can look at them more. So maybe in the future I will have some more questions.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

The break open single shot at the top has been chopped at both ends. Insure that the barrel is at least 18 +inch and over all length is 26 inches. It looks like it's okay in the pic though
N5PNZ

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Both bolt action rifles are Mauser pattern rifles. (2nd and third from the bottom.)
Third from the bottom has had some home gunsmithing done (Flash supressor and iron sights) and is likely not worth much.
Second from the bottom appears to have a hinged floorplate with release which would make it some version of an Argentine Mauser - possibly of 1909 vintage. I know that buttplate style is definitive, but cannot recall why.
If I am right, it is probably the most desirable gun in the lot and, if unmodified, should get a good price from a collector.
Neither gun should be fired without an inspection by a qualified gunsmith.

Topic author
Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Chemist45 wrote:Both bolt action rifles are Mauser pattern rifles. (2nd and third from the bottom.)
Third from the bottom has had some home gunsmithing done (Flash supressor and iron sights) and is likely not worth much.
Second from the bottom appears to have a hinged floorplate with release which would make it some version of an Argentine Mauser - possibly of 1909 vintage. I know that buttplate style is definitive, but cannot recall why.
If I am right, it is probably the most desirable gun in the lot and, if unmodified, should get a good price from a collector.
Neither gun should be fired without an inspection by a qualified gunsmith.
A little google searching now that you guys gave me some direction. Seems the middle rifle may be a Spanish FR8 Mauser

boxermoose

Post by boxermoose »

Middle one looks like a Spanish FR8, a transitional converted Mauser in 7.62x51 used for a short time and surplused.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”