Glock or Sig

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gguess66
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Glock or Sig

Post by gguess66 »

I am looking for the compact version a 3.9 barrel inch.

Topic author
gguess66

Post by gguess66 »

Thanks for the advice. I do own a Sig P229, which I love but do not carry. I also own the Springfield XDm, also do not carry, I don't shoot it well as I do my Sig. I also own a Shield in a .40. I have shoot the Glock 23 and liked and the Sip P320 as well and liked it. I like that the Glock MOS comes in a compact, and so for the sig doesn't. I like the sig come with the sight, and the Glock doesn't. However it is about the same price once added the sight to the Glock if looking at a vortex red dot. I like having the option. Again thanks for the advice. Anyone dealt with Texas Gun Pros?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well, I'm personally not particularly fond of the idea of a red dot sight on a pistol, but that's just me........so for me it boils down to which pistol you would prefer if it was NOT equipped with a red dot sight?

I became a Glock guy about a year ago. We have owned a gen3 G19 for about 6 or 7 years now, but it is my wife's, and I hardly ever carried it. I ended up going to Glock's because that is what my wife was familiar with, and it was important to me that she be familiar with whatever I carry. She's not really a gun person, and keeping it simple is what keeps her carrying. She's "dysgunlic" when it comes to learning new platforms, whereas it comes easily to me. The Glock is dead nuts simple: draw, aim, fire, reholster.......no fancy manual of arms with a thumb safety or grip safety or a decocker or anything like that. For most of us, those things are not really an issue. For her, they are confusing. The Glock platform eliminates that confusion.

Now that said, the P320 is similar in that regard, and she could probably learn to shoot it reasonable well with some training. I've never shot one, but I've handled and dry-fired one, and in the compact size - roughly analogous to the size of the G19 - it seems like a great pistol, and I liked the trigger. But we are already invested in 5 Glocks (G43x2, G19x2, G17), so if I were to buy a P320, it would be just another polymer-framed striker-fired pistol that sits in the safe most of the time alongside the M&P, XDM, and XDS — all of which are great pistols that I don't mind carrying, but that make no sense for my "dysgunlic" wife, with whom I spend a LOT of time.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

I too have wondered about which is better, especially with old eyes (trifocals). Glock, option for multiple red dots but unless you buy additional front and rear sites can not co-witness with red dot mounted. Sig only offers Sig red dot but I believe comes with superior regular sights.
I think I am going to consider a Glock as I have the most experience with them. Also have a lot of Glock mags.

patterson

Post by patterson »

Sig

Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by Soap »

Sig

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

SIG

KHickam
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KHickam »

Both me and my gal have Sig P320 mine is Compact hers is Carry - mine holds 15 hers holds 17 rounds of 9mm. It is a fully modular gun - fully interchangeable with all componets except 45 auto components.

I like the trigger best and the grip angle is very good for us.
"Be strong, be of good courage, God Bless America, Long live the Republic." SootchOO

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

The question is about those guns that are cut specifically for a red dot. Sig RX? Glock MOS? I too would like an opinion. Not SIG vs Glock but those specifically for reflex sight.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

rotor wrote:The question is about those guns that are cut specifically for a red dot. Sig RX? Glock MOS? I too would like an opinion. Not SIG vs Glock but those specifically for reflex sight.
I own both of these, they are my favorite shooters:

https://www.fnamerica.com/products/hand ... -tactical/

http://www.springfield-armory.com/produ ... -size-9mm/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
gguess66

Post by gguess66 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
rotor wrote:The question is about those guns that are cut specifically for a red dot. Sig RX? Glock MOS? I too would like an opinion. Not SIG vs Glock but those specifically for reflex sight.
I own both of these, they are my favorite shooters:

https://www.fnamerica.com/products/hand ... -tactical/

http://www.springfield-armory.com/produ ... -size-9mm/
I like the 4inch not the full size.

Topic author
gguess66

Post by gguess66 »

True, however I Locke the Glock 19 because of the size. I don't want the full size.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Re: Glock or Sig?

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Well, here is a brief range report on the Springfield XDm OSP:

I recently purchased my 9th Springfield pistol in 4 years! I really like the grip angle of the Springfield and the trigger feel ( (vs. the Glock, even though I also own 3 Glocks). I am consistently more accurate with the Springfield than with the Glock as well. I have some theories as to why, but mostly seems to simply be the way that the grip fits my hand - YMMV.

Anyway, this time I purchased the 9mm XDm OSP with the Vortex Venom optic. I had heard various concerns about optics mounted on pistol slides, most commonly the fear that the optic would not survive the shock of constant high speed slide cycling - so I decided to run an informal test.

I sighted it in and took it to a full day tactical handgun class in Prosper run by Phil Ryan. After about 600 rounds the screws for the optic came loose (one of them hit me in the lip) even though they appeared to have been (blue) locktighted and the optic went flying... The springfield ejected the optic to the left and rearward :smilelol5:

The optic appeared absolutely no worse for wear (it was still working even after it hit the ground!) but I could not immediately find the little black screws - so I completed the course of fire using the fiber optic front sight and standard rear sights.

So, I found that once I learned how to quickly obtain the little red dot sight picture, the pistol was very accurate and I was eating the center out of the target. It shot a little low close in (3-5 yards) but was sighted dead center at 7 yards (this was a very close quarters exercise day on the range).

I do want to take it out and see how it fares at 25 to 50 to 100 yards, more out of curiosity than anything else, but other than the need to periodically check the tightness of the mounting screws, IMHO the test was successful and a lot of fun!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

KurtFTW

Post by KurtFTW »

KHickam wrote:Both me and my gal have Sig P320 mine is Compact hers is Carry - mine holds 15 hers holds 17 rounds of 9mm. It is a fully modular gun - fully interchangeable with all componets except 45 auto components.

I like the trigger best and the grip angle is very good for us.
I also own a Sig P320. I have loved this pistol since the day it was in my hands. I also have the Compact 9mm. I've also held and shot Glocks before and they are nice guns, but the Sig just fits me better. So to go with the not really a cop out, but kinda sorta is answer, whatever fits your hands and your style of shooting is what works as both platforms are great guns in my opinion.

KHickam, what type of holster do you use and how do you normally carry your Sig? I'm just waiting on plastic in the mail (was mailed today :thumbs2: ).
I'd like to know how others conceal and manage the slight bulkiness of the Sig P320.
NRA 5 Year Member | Sig Sauer P320

Lena

Post by Lena »

Some years back when I set up matches I had 1 last stage some different, optional to shoot or not, but if you did it was an eye opener, just 1 shot stage 5 yds, ammo must be factory carry.
Had to be carry pistol, 1 shot, factory carry ammo, you score counted or if any reason and malfunction it went to zero for the match. you had to start with a loaded magazine 1 round then load and fire and any malfunction and your zero for the match.
All Sigs and Glocks did fine some others actually did not feed, ejection was also considered a malfunction if failed to do so, slide not locked back zero. We had 3 shooters go to zero on this stage. 1 failure to chamber 1 round,1 fail to eject and jammed on empty and honestly I cant remember the other but 3-4 total out of 30 or so shooters I think it was a light striker or firing pin fall due to the trigger job. Just remembered we did have 1 revolver shooter that loaded the wrong hole in the cylinder and it clicked, so there was 4.
We did have 1 not shoot it as he said it was stupid to do.

My old Sig226 has never ever had any problems same as my 2nd gen Glock 32 357 Sig, my 2 daily carry guns for years. Gone to the G32 99% now with an occasional S&W Shield 45 day thrown in.
Stay Safe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”