Shooting on private property...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shooting on private property...

Post by srothstein »

I guess being a former cop, I am the only one that thought of other laws. For example, there is Penal Code section 42.01 which says:

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
<snip other sections>
(5) makes unreasonable noise in a public place other than a sport shooting range, as defined by Section 250.001, Local Government Code, or in or near a private residence that he has no right to occupy;

If it is spooking dogs on her property it might meet these requirements and you can get the local law enforcement involved.
Steve Rothstein

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Why not just wait until perhaps the wee hours of the morning when they are asleep...then go out and shoot and wake them up?
I know two rights don't make a wrong, but if they complain then a person could say "Well, if you'll give me some consideration I'll give you some. Can we come to an agreement?"

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Wolfgang wrote:Why not just wait until perhaps the wee hours of the morning when they are asleep...then go out and shoot and wake them up?
I know two rights don't make a wrong, but if they complain then a person could say "Well, if you'll give me some consideration I'll give you some. Can we come to an agreement?"
Having had a bad neighbor, I wouldn't do that. It would probably escalate. But, I might fire 50 rounds or so every time they were shooting. Hard to get mad at someone doing the same thing you are doing.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I keep thinking there is a reason to revere the Four Big Rules beyond the mere selfishness of not being earthworm food any sooner than necessary. The hooligan neighbors are at least guilty of violating the need to be sure of one's target and what's behind it.

It shouldn't make any difference, but somehow this does.

Beyond simple discourtesy to common sense, breaking the fab four rules embarrasses the gun.

Silly. I know.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

srothstein wrote:I guess being a former cop, I am the only one that thought of other laws. For example, there is Penal Code section 42.01 which says:

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
<snip other sections>
(5) makes unreasonable noise in a public place other than a sport shooting range, as defined by Section 250.001, Local Government Code, or in or near a private residence that he has no right to occupy;

If it is spooking dogs on her property it might meet these requirements and you can get the local law enforcement involved.
This is what I was thinking about, too. I mean, if they are shooting at all hours, even at night, then couldn't that be a case of disturbing the peace? Not sure she can stop them from shooting during daylight when most folks are expected to be awake anyway, but I would think nighttime would be a different ball game.

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

If she goes that way, I sure hope her dogs don't bark a lot.
ABIDE

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

This is a Hatfields & McCoys situation. There is no win until the bad neighbors move.

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

warnmar10 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:...
I would call LE every round until someone started listening. ...
This is what I do anytime I see someone open carrying. I just don't like open carry and I don't care if it is a "right".
.......I see what you did, there.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

srothstein wrote:I guess being a former cop, I am the only one that thought of other laws. For example, there is Penal Code section 42.01 which says:

<snip other sections>

I think the challenge is whether the noise is "unreasonable". Given that the county does not limit shooting, then it seems counter intuitive to argue that the noise level from a gunshot is an unreasonable amount of noise. I know that some areas have noise ordinances past a certain time of the night. That would make it a bit more black and white, if it was the case here.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Retrain dogs, push up a berm on your friend's property with their consent , and put more rounds down range than the neighbors do :).

You will be more proficient with your firearms and the neighbors will get the message.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Well. They might try contacting Obama's EPA and report lead contamination of a water source, but you better hurry! :biggrinjester:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

gemini

Post by gemini »

rotor wrote:This is a Hatfields & McCoys situation. There is no win until the bad neighbors move.
This /\.

I feel sorry for your friend. She has rude neighbors. However, many people move to the country to get away
from the crime, traffic, taxes, rules and regulations of city life. Most are self reliant. Most just learn to "deal"
with life without having to call a county LEO. That said..... in your friends case, IF it continues or even gets worse.
Call the local game warden if they are shooting at night. Especially during deer season (now). If they are
spotlighting at night while shooting.....the game warden may want to "investigate". That might be enough to
get the rude neighbors to cease. Most guys I know will give a call to the game warden if they will be hunting
at night or spotlighting (coons,coyotes,pigs). Its a courtesy call, not a legal requirement. Anyway, maybe your friend
might look into buying that little 8 acre tract.
How much land does your friend own or control?

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

<snip other sections>

Here is the full law: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.42.htm

(c) For purposes of this section:

(1) an act is deemed to occur in a public place or near a private residence if it produces its offensive or proscribed consequences in the public place or near a private residence; and

(2) a noise is presumed to be unreasonable if the noise exceeds a decibel level of 85 after the person making the noise receives notice from a magistrate or peace officer that the noise is a public nuisance.

This is the applicable State law that can be applied in this instance. Since this is occurring outside a municipality it will be filed through the JP court having jurisdiction. We used to deal with this all the time when I was with the S.O. but I must admit, usually it was a non shooter moving next to someone who had been shooting on their own property for years. Continue to document the occurrence by notifying the Sheriff's Department, maybe even record their actions for a later criminal/civil court action. There are Decibel Meter apps for smart phones that can assist in determining the noise level or maybe invest in a dedicated device. Under no circumstance do you want to threaten or confront them beyond a verbal request to cease their actions. Continue to notify LE and let them handle the situation. Also realize, you can file the charges directly with the JP. It does not have to be filed by law enforcement but you do need to have an LEO advise them that such actions are unreasonable to meet the elements of the statute. Above all, remain the "complainant" and do nothing to place yourself into the "offender" role in this situation. When you finally have your day in court you want them to be the offenders, not you.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”