Wyoming Range Report

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Wyoming Range Report

Post by ScottDLS »

I went to Jackson, WY for Thanksgiving to do some skiing. Unfortunately not enough snow yet. So the family signed up for private shooting activity at a nearby private range. The whole family shot .22 LR rifles, AR-15's one with silencer and one without, a Springfield M1A, AK-47 semi, also .22lr and 9mm pistols, and a .45 1911, and to top it all off a Barrett 50 cal. All but one of the rifles had optics. Which in 32 years of shooting I have never used...

We did 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 300 yards with the rifles. With optics both my daughters 15 & 11 hit almost every shot even at 300. I was really surprised how big a deal the optics are. Several scopes and a red dot sight. 1x to 6x. Yes we were on bench rests, but I have only ever shot iron sights since learning to shoot rifles. Now I am going to have to scope one of my AR-15's and my SKS.

The AR with the silencer was cool too, though we shot supersonic ammo. I think I will build a AR15 SBR and buy a silencer for it, when I get around to it, and when I can afford the two tax stamps.

I was in resort and small towns whole time. I didn't see anyone open carrying other than cops in WY.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Sport Coach

Re: Wyoming Range Report

Post by Sport Coach »

Excellent plan B! I'll keep that in mind when attempting some skiing late season next year.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

SigM4

Re: Wyoming Range Report

Post by SigM4 »

ScottDLS wrote: I was in resort and small towns whole time. I didn't see anyone open carrying other than cops in WY.
Funny story, we lived in Gillette, WY for two years back when I started with the railroad. To your point in the two years there I only ever saw one person OCing. This old weathered cowboy would come to town about once a month, park his beat of 60s era Chevy pickup right on Main Street across from the depot and walk up the street to the hardware store and a few other places. He always wore a full on western style gun belt with a chromed wheel gun of some sort. Really wish I would have stopped him and gotten a picture on one of visits.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”