9mm ammo: anyone used these brands?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

tenke56
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 9mm ammo: anyone used these brands?

Post by tenke56 »

I have used Fiochi for the past few years as it has always been the cheapest when I went to buy. First time I bought a few boxes and was impressed so the next time I ended up buying a case. I have never had an issue with it.

rentz

Post by rentz »

Skiprr wrote:
Scott B. wrote:I appreciate how S&B's packaging doesn't waste any space.
Heh! Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Does make it easier to pack more into ammo cans. And their skeletonized trays still seem to do a good job of keeping rounds separated. I save some of those trays for times when I buy ammo in loose bulk: put the loose rounds in the S&B trays and stack into cans.
yup i always save the s&B boxes/trays for the loose bulk i got from freedom, but i really love the small box size compared to other brands.

s&b is my go to for bulk orders usually, and it goes on sale often at cabelas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've shot many thousands of rounds of S&B in .45ACP. (Thunder Ranch wanted only factory ammo when it was in Texas.) S&B was nicknamed "Green Rockets" because they were HOOOOT! I don't know if that's still the case. I never had a problem with S&B, but their primer pockets are tight. This caused a problem reloading, so I quit buying them for that reason. Also, I rarely buy factory ammo these days, except for self-defense rounds.

Chas.

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RossA »

rotor wrote:Fiochi all the time when on sale at Atwoods. Very good and always goes bang. No warnings about using in ported barrels like Federal and Blazer. Have never had any commercial ammo that wasn't good but since my wife has a ported Shield I have become more selective and unless you have a box in hand to read you can't tell which ammo is not for ported barrels.
I think I just learned something. I don't have any ported guns, But I have never seen any warnings (that I can recall) about not using certain ammo in ported guns.
What's the reason behind not using certain ammo, and is this a prominent warning that I would be likely to see if I looked?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Have used all three with no issues. Like all "practice" ammo, they all burned a little dirty, but other than that, no problems.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

RossA wrote:
rotor wrote:Fiochi all the time when on sale at Atwoods. Very good and always goes bang. No warnings about using in ported barrels like Federal and Blazer. Have never had any commercial ammo that wasn't good but since my wife has a ported Shield I have become more selective and unless you have a box in hand to read you can't tell which ammo is not for ported barrels.
I think I just learned something. I don't have any ported guns, But I have never seen any warnings (that I can recall) about not using certain ammo in ported guns.
What's the reason behind not using certain ammo, and is this a prominent warning that I would be likely to see if I looked?
This is from a box of Federal 9mm ammo

CCI Blazer brass has a similar warning. I asked the CCI people why they had this warning and they responded by saying that their bullets are only very thinly plated and that through a ported barrel the plating might scrape off and shoot out of the ports. I look at this more as a lawyer issue but I do not take a chance and avoid these brands in my wife's ported Shield. The problem with mail order is that very few companies will warn you about the problem in their ads. I specifically pointed this out to SGAmmo when they has a sale on Blazer brass and they did NOT include the warning in their ad. The Federal ammo I bought mail order from Academy. So, I still like it and it was a good buy but I use it in my non-ported guns. Might possibly be bad in silencer equipped guns but I am not sure about that. Perhaps others can help with that.

karder

Post by karder »

I used 1000 rounds of S&B at my last class in September. I was shooting .40 but the ammo functioned great and did not seem too dirty. I would definitely buy it again.
I had two gentlemen right beside me that were shooting Tula 9mm in their glocks. Interestingly enough, they burned through a case each did not have any problems with the Tula. The Tula did shoot pretty dirty, but they saved some coin.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Give Orr a try. Fantastic ammo, more reliable and consistent than pretty much any factory brand and made here in Tx :txflag:

https://www.orrtactical.com/

Full disclosure, I am sponsored by Orr, but it really is fantastic ammo. I became interested in being sponsored by Orr because I really do like the product better than any other ammo I have used, even my old hand loads.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

rotor wrote:
RossA wrote:
This is from a box of Federal 9mm ammo

CCI Blazer brass has a similar warning. I asked the CCI people why they had this warning and they responded by saying that their bullets are only very thinly plated and that through a ported barrel the plating might scrape off and shoot out of the ports. I look at this more as a lawyer issue but I do not take a chance and avoid these brands in my wife's ported Shield. The problem with mail order is that very few companies will warn you about the problem in their ads. I specifically pointed this out to SGAmmo when they has a sale on Blazer brass and they did NOT include the warning in their ad. The Federal ammo I bought mail order from Academy. So, I still like it and it was a good buy but I use it in my non-ported guns. Might possibly be bad in silencer equipped guns but I am not sure about that. Perhaps others can help with that.
Interesting..I've shot both the Federal and Blazer Brass through my ported Shield with no issues. Never noticed the warnings on the box...after all beyond the caliber and bullet weight who reads fine print on ammo boxes. :mrgreen:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rotor

Post by rotor »

Old thread but as Charles has noted, I tried reloading some 9mm S&B and the primer pockets are very tight making it hard to prime with my hand primer. If you reload I would avoid the S&B.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

canvasbck,

Does their website provide pricing or did I over look it?

Is their ammo reloads i.e., not factory?

Thanks

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RossA »

canvasbck wrote:Give Orr a try. Fantastic ammo, more reliable and consistent than pretty much any factory brand and made here in Tx :txflag:

https://www.orrtactical.com/

Full disclosure, I am sponsored by Orr, but it really is fantastic ammo. I became interested in being sponsored by Orr because I really do like the product better than any other ammo I have used, even my old hand loads.
Just a FYI.
I clicked on the link for the Orr ammo, and I got a Firefox warning that if I went to that site my information would not be secure.
Whatever that means.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”