Green or red laser?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Green or red laser?

Post by Pawpaw »

jkurtz wrote:I have a red laser max guide rod on a Glock 19.I didn't actually go out of my way to buy it though. It was already installed since I bought the gun used. Personally, I don't see any benefit to having it. It takes longer to pick up the laser down range than it does to pick up your sights. It is not adjustable either, so it won't aid in making precision shots. Lastly, a laser works two ways. If I can see the dot on someones chest, there is a good chance they can see the red dot under my barrel where it is originating from.
This is where you have to learn to ignore the Hollywood myth that a laser turns you into a super-duper shooter... it doesn't. Where a laser comes into it's own is when you can't quickly or easily get your head behind the pistol to use the sights. In those cases, it will allow you to make "in the ballpark" hits you might not be able to make otherwise.

Lasers are useful as long as you understand their strengths and limitations.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G26ster »

Pawpaw wrote:
jkurtz wrote:I have a red laser max guide rod on a Glock 19.I didn't actually go out of my way to buy it though. It was already installed since I bought the gun used. Personally, I don't see any benefit to having it. It takes longer to pick up the laser down range than it does to pick up your sights. It is not adjustable either, so it won't aid in making precision shots. Lastly, a laser works two ways. If I can see the dot on someones chest, there is a good chance they can see the red dot under my barrel where it is originating from.
This is where you have to learn to ignore the Hollywood myth that a laser turns you into a super-duper shooter... it doesn't. Where a laser comes into it's own is when you can't quickly or easily get your head behind the pistol to use the sights. In those cases, it will allow you to make "in the ballpark" hits you might not be able to make otherwise.

+1 Pawpaw. :thumbs2: There is so much emphasis placed on the laser as a "replacement" for your iron sights, It is not. It is exactly as you said, "a laser comes into it's own is when you can't quickly or easily get your head behind the pistol to use the sights. In those cases, it will allow you to make "in the ballpark" hits you might not be able to make otherwise."

JRG
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JRG »

My new Shield 9mm came with the CT green laser. I took it out two days ago to shoot it for the first time. It was a somewhat overcast day here in southern Arizona. The green laser was very easy to pick up on the target. I really thought I would just be shooting where the green dot was, but not having had a laser before, I found myself lining up my shots using the iron sights. In doing that, the point of aim and the point of impact was super close to where the laser was pointing. I really need to get it out and shoot it again in full sunlight. It shot great with no problems. After another good range trip or two, it will be ready to ascend into the EDC rotation.

Joe

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

JRG wrote:My new Shield 9mm came with the CT green laser. I took it out two days ago to shoot it for the first time. It was a somewhat overcast day here in southern Arizona. The green laser was very easy to pick up on the target. I really thought I would just be shooting where the green dot was, but not having had a laser before, I found myself lining up my shots using the iron sights. In doing that, the point of aim and the point of impact was super close to where the laser was pointing. I really need to get it out and shoot it again in full sunlight. It shot great with no problems. After another good range trip or two, it will be ready to ascend into the EDC rotation.

Joe
If you can use the sights, just ignore the laser. At that point, it's useless.

One day at the range with my adult son, I had been shooting my Kimber Ultra CDP with the CT lasergrip turned off. My son picked it up, turned the laser on & shot a mag full. He then announced that he did not like the laser. I told him he was using it wrong. He asked me how it was supposed to be used and I explained that it's only for when you can't use the sights. With a fresh mag, I took a two handed grip just forward of my strong side hip and proceeded to put all shots into the bulls-eye, right where I had placed the dot. That's when he understood and now has a CT lasergrip on his Ultra Carry.

FWIW, I adjust the laser so the dot hidden by the front sight, as viewed from my dominant eye. That makes it much less distracting, for me.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

G26ster wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

+1 Pawpaw. :thumbs2: There is so much emphasis placed on the laser as a "replacement" for your iron sights, It is not. It is exactly as you said, "a laser comes into it's own is when you can't quickly or easily get your head behind the pistol to use the sights. In those cases, it will allow you to make "in the ballpark" hits you might not be able to make otherwise."
I don't have any Hollywood ideas of how lasers work considering I have experience using them (typically IR) on a two way ranges. Yes, visible lasers are useful when you can not actually see your sights, either because of awkward positioning or other equipment obstructions such as a protective mask. My comment about being able to pick up your sights faster than the laser is still true. I was just adding my two cents since a lot of people interested in adding lasers want them in order to use as a primary aiming device.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

jkurtz wrote:I don't have any Hollywood ideas of how lasers work considering I have experience using them (typically IR) on a two way ranges. Yes, visible lasers are useful when you can not actually see your sights, either because of awkward positioning or other equipment obstructions such as a protective mask. My comment about being able to pick up your sights faster than the laser is still true. I was just adding my two cents since a lot of people interested in adding lasers want them in order to use as a primary aiming device.
My comment was general in nature and not intended to be derogatory toward you. I can see how it might seem like it was, and for that I am truly sorry.

I agree 100% with your assessment. :tiphat:

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

Pawpaw wrote:
jkurtz wrote:I don't have any Hollywood ideas of how lasers work considering I have experience using them (typically IR) on a two way ranges. Yes, visible lasers are useful when you can not actually see your sights, either because of awkward positioning or other equipment obstructions such as a protective mask. My comment about being able to pick up your sights faster than the laser is still true. I was just adding my two cents since a lot of people interested in adding lasers want them in order to use as a primary aiming device.
My comment was general in nature and not intended to be derogatory toward you. I can see how it might seem like it was, and for that I am truly sorry.

I agree 100% with your assessment. :tiphat:
No worries :cheers2: . Since the OP didn't say why he wanted the laser I was just trying to inform him that he may not being getting the benefits he was hoping for.

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

It would be as a confirmation of point of aim and perhaps as a deterrent eliminating the need to fire in a worst case situation.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

If staring down the barrel of a gun isn't a deterrent, no little red or green dot will be either.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

LDB415 wrote:It would be as a confirmation of point of aim and perhaps as a deterrent eliminating the need to fire in a worst case situation.
Like Pawpaw said, if the gun itself isn't a deterrent it is unlikely the laser would be. It can help to get a general idea of where your round will impact if you can't actually use your sights. Since it not adjustable, your sights and the laser point won't always align, which makes using it to confirm point of aim kind of moot. I am not dissing the product. I have one myself, but it's applications are limited.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”