Lever Action Rifle Caliber?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Lever Action Rifle Caliber?

Post by carlson1 »

I didn't want to take the thread about Henry rifles off topic, but I would like to get others opinions.

I would like a lever action rifle. The caliber is the question. I already have plenty of .38/.357 so I thought about that route. I don't like the ideal of adding another caliber because I am try to keep things simple, but I keep going back to the 30-30. Is 30-30 plentiful or expensive?

What are your thoughts?

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lever Action Rifle Caliber?

Post by Greybeard »

Depends on how ya plan to use it.

One of our members was out at the range this morning with a new one in 44 mag. He is pushing 80 years old and said the recoil, while tolerable, is much more punchy than 38s he used to use out of one in cowboy action shooting. Unless a pretty heavy gun, the 30-30 will get your attention as well. And sometimes us old guys can live better without that. :oops:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Depends on what you want to use it for. Deer at 100yd won't know the difference between a 30-30 and .357mag. Plus the 38/357mag will hold almost or will hold twice as many rounds and recoil less.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am not hunter. Would take it to the range and at the worse self defense.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

carlson1 wrote:I am not hunter. Would take it to the range and at the worse self defense.
Carl, let's go to the range and you can try shooting my new Marlin .30-30. It's really not bad to shoot at all. Power is roughly equivalent to an AK.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

30.30 ammo is plentiful, I haven't priced it lately, but if it is just going to the range, or used as a HD or TD (truck defense) rifle I would just stick with 38/357 or 44special/44 magnum calibers. The ballistics for defensive use out of the longer barrel is more than adequate. The 30.30 will definitely do better at longer ranges, but for what you say you're looking for, the pistol calibers will definitely meet those needs. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Here's a write up that may help.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/0 ... 57-magnum/

If you just want to shoot for the fun of it I think it would be neat to have a rifle/pistol paired up in the same caliber. I'd love to have a .44 Mag lever gun to shoot with my Ruger .44 Mag. Past 100-125 yards the .357 will show it's shortcomings .If you seriously intend to hunt medium sized game (whitetail deer) with your lever gun I would go with a true rifle cartridge. The 30-30 is relatively inexpensive and universally available, which makes it a good choice. The Hornady LeverRevolution ammunition takes the 30-30 (and other traditional lever gun ammo) to a whole new level. It's more expensive than 30-30 flat nose bullet loadings, but being able to shoot a spitzer type bullets makes it well worth it. If I were buying my first lever rifle for deer hunting my personal choice would be pre-Remington Marlin 336 in .35 Remington.
Edited to add correct link
Last edited by puma guy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
carlson1 wrote:I am not hunter. Would take it to the range and at the worse self defense.
Carl, let's go to the range and you can try shooting my new Marlin .30-30. It's really not bad to shoot at all. Power is roughly equivalent to an AK.
Incoming PM

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I have a Marlin 45/70 and a Henry .22 WMR.
If I were going to get another, I would probably go with the 30/30.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I have a Marlin .45-70, and if I end up with another lever action it will be chambered in .30-30, .45 Colt, or .44 Mag. the .30-30 is the only caliber I don't have anything currently chambered for and would require a new set of dies so it would be the least likely caliber for me to add.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

Or you can try a Browning BLR. You can match your bolt rifle caliber, if any.

rmr24

Post by rmr24 »

Another option Henry Long Ranger, when they become available. .223, .243, .308.

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

My two levers are in 45-70 and .44 Mag. The .44 has become my go-to rifle for most things. With 1-4x scope and full house 240gr loads, it's close enough to a 30-30 that it doesn't make much difference. I've got it zeroed for 150yds which gives me point n shoot out to ~175 before needing to give thought to elevation on pigs or deer. I've got my 6.8 if I plan on longer ranges, but it's quite a bit heavier with much bigger glass. The .44 is light and handy. With .44 Special level loads, it's a terrifically fun plinker.

The .45-70 is fun... but since it's in the same range category as the .44, it's been more of a safe queen. The smaller capacity and much higher recoil coupled with the fact that the .44 will handle Texas game just fine has rather left it behind. It is fun to hand to someone at the range when they brag about how hard their rifles kick. Marlin level handloads pack some authority ;)

E10

Post by E10 »

I have a Japanese (Miroku) Winchester 1892 short rifle in .357 Magnum that is an absolute joy to shoot. Very versatile - .38 Specials for plinking, +P for a little more punch, all the way up to full-power .357 180 or 200-grain cannonballs for serious work. It can share ammo with my Ruger .357 revolvers - don't have to think about another caliber. Miroku makes them under license from Winchester and does a very nice job. Walnut stock, clean blue finish, very smooth action - everything you'd expect from a Winchester product. It wasn't cheap, but to me worth the price.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

E10 wrote:I have a Japanese (Miroku) Winchester 1892 short rifle in .357 Magnum that is an absolute joy to shoot. Very versatile - .38 Specials for plinking, +P for a little more punch, all the way up to full-power .357 180 or 200-grain cannonballs for serious work. It can share ammo with my Ruger .357 revolvers - don't have to think about another caliber. Miroku makes them under license from Winchester and does a very nice job. Walnut stock, clean blue finish, very smooth action - everything you'd expect from a Winchester product. It wasn't cheap, but to me worth the price.
This is why I am leaning towards the .38/.357. Looking at the Henry Repeating Arms Big Boy Carbine Blued / Brass / Wood .357 Mag 16.5-inch 7Rd.
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henr ... y-carbine/
Henry 357.jpg

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”