Army chooses Sig

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Army chooses Sig

Post by The Annoyed Man »

So much for the G19, I guess. I'm a little surprised.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

no clue what design they submitted. It could be a polymer design like the the P320 Series.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

SoloXCRacer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SoloXCRacer »

Apparently it's the P320, or a variant of the P320

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... istol.html

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Modified P320 is what is being reported according to TFB - M17
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... s-shot-17/

ETA: noooo you beat me
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

The Annoyed Man wrote:So much for the G19, I guess. I'm a little surprised.
Not too surprising when you consider that big army caters to the lowest common denominator. Unless Glock was willing to mass produce a variation with a manual safety, they were ruled out from the start.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

jkurtz wrote:
Not too surprising when you consider that big army caters to the lowest common denominator. Unless Glock was willing to mass produce a variation with a manual safety, they were ruled out from the start.
P320 has a manual safety?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Breaking news: It is reported by NRA Rifleman mag's O'keefe that it is P320 variant
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 3

Post by treadlightly »

WTR wrote:
jkurtz wrote:
Not as originally released. I think it's an option they added. There is no retrofit currently available.

My P320's don't have safeties. I'd say they are disasters waiting to happen but they are curiously satisfying to shoot and very reliable.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

treadlightly wrote:
WTR wrote:
jkurtz wrote:
Not as originally released. I think it's an option they added. There is no retrofit currently available.

My P320's don't have safeties. I'd say they are disasters waiting to happen but they are curiously satisfying to shoot and very reliable.
The is a Glock variant with an external safety: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock
The Glock 17S is a variant with an external, frame-mounted, manual safety. Small numbers of this variant were made for the Tasmanian, Israeli, Pakistani, and perhaps several South American security forces.[77] They are stamped "17", not "17S". They resemble, but are distinguishable from, standard Glock 17 pistols that have been fitted with the after-market Cominolli safety.[78] An additional safety variant Glock 17 that was tested by the British Military included a frame safety similar to that found on the British service rifle, the SA-80.
Given the shear numbers involved, I can't believe that Glock couldn't have added an external safety to the G19 or 17 in order to win the contract. I can only conclude that they weren't that interested in winning it.

As far as the P320 not having one either, the one time I handled one, it seemed that the trigger was a LOT like a Kahr trigger — quite long, but light and very smooth. The length of pull IS the safety. The Sig is a good gun. I almost bought one once. The main reason I was surprised that Glock didn't win is the recent adoption of the G19 by both Army Special Forces, and the SEAL Teams. If Special Forces likes 'em, why not the regular Army?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

WTR wrote:
jkurtz wrote:
Sure does, if you order one with a safety...

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

The Annoyed Man wrote: The is a Glock variant with an external safety: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock
The Glock 17S is a variant with an external, frame-mounted, manual safety. Small numbers of this variant were made for the Tasmanian, Israeli, Pakistani, and perhaps several South American security forces.[77] They are stamped "17", not "17S". They resemble, but are distinguishable from, standard Glock 17 pistols that have been fitted with the after-market Cominolli safety.[78] An additional safety variant Glock 17 that was tested by the British Military included a frame safety similar to that found on the British service rifle, the SA-80.
Given the shear numbers involved, I can't believe that Glock couldn't have added an external safety to the G19 or 17 in order to win the contract. I can only conclude that they weren't that interested in winning it.

As far as the P320 not having one either, the one time I handled one, it seemed that the trigger was a LOT like a Kahr trigger — quite long, but light and very smooth. The length of pull IS the safety. The Sig is a good gun. I almost bought one once. The main reason I was surprised that Glock didn't win is the recent adoption of the G19 by both Army Special Forces, and the SEAL Teams. If Special Forces likes 'em, why not the regular Army?
I have heard of Glock making a model with a manual safety before, but the wiki article says they only made a small number. Maybe they just weren't willing to mass produce it.

As far as SOF units selecting Glock, unfortunately that doesn't mean too much. While SOF will make common sense decisions, big army typically does things the hardest and least sensible way possible, often times caring more about appearance than actual performance.

dlh

Post by dlh »

The timing of all this is quite interesting.

A few days back at General Mattis's hearing on Capitol Hill they made a big deal about how slow the Army was at deciding this and how much money they had spent then....whatta ya know! :)
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”