6 weeks Taurus... 6 weeks

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 6 weeks Taurus... 6 weeks

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cmgee67 wrote:I prob won't sell it when I get it back due to the fear of it messing up in the future on somebody else. I guess it will just be a good safe anchor. I told Taurus personally the reason they have a lifetime warrantee is because you will end up using it. They didn't have much to say back but I'm sorry you feel that way
Did you ever get this gun back?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 6

Post by cmgee67 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:I prob won't sell it when I get it back due to the fear of it messing up in the future on somebody else. I guess it will just be a good safe anchor. I told Taurus personally the reason they have a lifetime warrantee is because you will end up using it. They didn't have much to say back but I'm sorry you feel that way
Did you ever get this gun back?
Yessir I did. Took 8 weeks and they did fix the problem.
They never did tell me why it was having the issue. I guess if I cared enough I could call and find out but, it’s not pressing on my mind.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Taurus tends to be a "mixed bag" like Remington and some other manufacturers.

I have two Taurus firearms both well-made. One is a stainless-steel snubby Smith and Wesson knockoff I think made in the eighties. It is sturdy as a little tank. The other is a Taurus "long judge" Rifle/Revolver. Very dependable and I love the "true-glow" or whatever sights on it. Have killed several rattlesnakes with it.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

Wow, thanks for sharing. A buddy of mine has one of those and I shot a few rounds at the range with it. Who would have thought there is a safety feature and who actually verifies if its functioning.
I wwill surely check my HK's if it works and will tell my buddy as well.
Quiet frankly, I have never tested any built in safety lock on my guns and have to find out if any of it besides the HK's have one.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pbwalker »

I've had a Taurus PT92, PT111, 709, and one of their revolvers (I can't recall which one). I don't own any of them anymore. My opinion, Taurus makes garbage. I'm sure results vary by user, but their triggers were absolute trash. They made a S&W Sigma trigger feel like a Gissele. Fit & finish left something to be desired. Maybe I had a string of bad luck, but I will never own another Taurus firearm again.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Lena

Post by Lena »

How many law enforcement agencies do you see carrying Taurus?
Military?
Match shooters? (1 in 35 years) it broke in match.
The list could go on, no need to though.

There is a very valid reason why.
Stay Safe

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Lena wrote:How many law enforcement agencies do you see carrying Taurus?
Military?
Match shooters? (1 in 35 years) it broke in match.
The list could go on, no need to though.

There is a very valid reason why.
The standard sidearm of the military in Brazil is a Taurus PT-92.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_eq ... my#Pistols

But ... did they ever win a war?
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Lena

Post by Lena »

THANK YOU I was not aware of that but makes sense.
I have in many years never seen but 1 in an IDPA or practical match.
Stay Safe

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

From my limited experiences in selling firearms I have had more problems with Taurus products than any other manufacturer. I have actually seen more problems with their revolvers (both Rossi and Taurus), so much so that I always buy them from Gallery of Guns (since they offer their own lifetime warranty). I had one guy send his pistol in for warranty work and he asked me to receive it when it was fixed. Time passed and I never heard anything, he tracked it down (Taurus would not) and for some unknown reason Taurus sent it to a dealer in Louisiana. The dealer there had no idea who it was for so they just held on to it. Taurus would not let that dealer ship it to me, they made them ship it back to Taurus who then shipped it to me. I have had other issues with Taurus customer service, one other one their customer service manager gave me here personal phone number in case I had any other problems, she felt bad over how they handled an issue for me. A couple weeks later I tried calling her and the number was no good. I actually like some of their products but I avoid them like the plague now.

Lena

Post by Lena »

In over 20 years in law enforcement I never saw 1 not 1 carried, same in over 25 years shooting all kinds of pistol matches and still do so just 1 and it broke and did not finish the match, the shooter was not a serious shooter but the MD cousin. I would prefer to stay with proven brands, also the resale is not good or worse. I bet you can get a great shooting LE trade in for the cost of a Taurus new or less.
We did have a good collection of them in the secure property rooms taken from arrests and never forget looking at the blue and gold colored ones there.
Last edited by Lena on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Safe

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

joe817 wrote:Why doesn't Academy let the people dry fire a pistol they've picked out with a Snap Cap in it? In fact, load 4 or 5 snap caps in the mag and cycle the action to chamber a snap cap round into the chamber to see if it works? I think they'd sell more guns that way(or satisfy customers). Just my opinion. ;-)
Nice thought, and I would be happy if the whole process is under my control, but the guy next to me would have something chambered that I didn't inspect. Nothing in the chamber, that's the only winner for me at the display counter. Dry fire on anything, including a snap cap, should only be done at a controlled firing line, at least in the unwashed public environment of tire kickers at a gun store.

I've seen signs that say "no dry fire," and I've always assumed it was to keep the new state of the stock. There are lots of folks who would be horrified to know I dry fire more than I live fire. If a handgun shows any wear from dry firing, I don't want it. Best to shop where the staff and customer base are both knowledgeable. Rifles in general and any rimfire should not be dry fired.

Dry firing a pistol is fine. What will set my teeth on edge is dropping the slide on an empty chamber. That makes me want to buy the gun out of the hands of the abuser, nurture it, and give it a caring home.

dlh

Post by dlh »

treadlightly wrote:
joe817 wrote:Why doesn't Academy let the people dry fire a pistol they've picked out with a Snap Cap in it? In fact, load 4 or 5 snap caps in the mag and cycle the action to chamber a snap cap round into the chamber to see if it works? I think they'd sell more guns that way(or satisfy customers). Just my opinion. ;-)
Nice thought, and I would be happy if the whole process is under my control, but the guy next to me would have something chambered that I didn't inspect. Nothing in the chamber, that's the only winner for me at the display counter. Dry fire on anything, including a snap cap, should only be done at a controlled firing line, at least in the unwashed public environment of tire kickers at a gun store.

I've seen signs that say "no dry fire," and I've always assumed it was to keep the new state of the stock. There are lots of folks who would be horrified to know I dry fire more than I live fire. If a handgun shows any wear from dry firing, I don't want it. Best to shop where the staff and customer base are both knowledgeable. Rifles in general and any rimfire should not be dry fired.

Dry firing a pistol is fine. What will set my teeth on edge is dropping the slide on an empty chamber. That makes me want to buy the gun out of the hands of the abuser, nurture it, and give it a caring home.
You will cringe when you see the video linked below. GunBlue490 has a different opinion on dropping the slide on an empty chamber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op1167lTVmI

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Now I need a safe space. :shock:

He's right, too. A 1911 will survive that use, but I worry that an alloy, short cycle compact .45 might be less able to stand up to that over time. I think the slide must bang closed faster without the work of feeding a round.

On a fail to lock, the slide is going to do exactly what he demonstrates, and there is certainly plenty of drama when a round goes off. The gun has to stand a lot of stress in normal operation.

But I'm not going to dry cycle the action on my alloy Kimber like that. If it happens with a bad magazine or my thumb impeding the slide lock, it happens - but I won't like it.

dlh

Post by dlh »

I could sit at the feet of GunBlue for hours and learn new things about firearms. Here is one of my favorites--wish I had watched this when I bought my first 1911---now which way do I turn that barrel bushing? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYvVvBuV9uY

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”