Anyone have a Laser Max Guide Rod laser sight?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Anyone have a Laser Max Guide Rod laser sight?

Post by puma guy »

Anyone here have any experience with the Laser Max Guide spring guide lasers? I have done a little research and found a Glock 19 at a pawn shop that had one, but the batteries were dead. Reviews have been favorable but they were mostly professional writers. Just wondering if anyone has one. I'm considering one for my wife's G42.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

jkurtz
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Anyone have a Laser Max Guide Rod laser sight?

Post by jkurtz »

I have one. It was already installed on a Glock 19 I purchased from a family member. It has been reliable and I have not had any malfunctions related to it. Personally, I believe lasers on weapons are of more limited utility than most people think. It is often faster to pick up your sights than it is to find a red or green dot down range. Also, this particular laser is not adjustable, so point of aim is not necessarily going to be point of impact and you can't zero it to any specific range. It might be useful to get a rough estimate of where your round might impact if you find yourself in an awkward position in which you can't actually use your sights. If it is super cheap, then I suppose it doesn't hurt to pick it up, but it is not something I would have considered if it did not come with my pistol.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

I have one. Two actually.
One on a Taurus PT99 another on a Glock 26

The Taurus I used in about 2008 to qualify for the CHL, and Lasers aren't allowed for that qualification test, and the red dot wasn't visible outdooors in daytime anyway, replaced batteries in about 2011 or 2012 and they're still good.

The Glock 26 one I used to sight in my Advantage Tactical sights, (No need for a Laser after installing those sights using orange rear and yellow front) http://www.advantagetactical.com/freque ... questions/ then I replaced batteries, and really never used it, batteries are dead again, I should probably remove the batteries, I like the guide rod and spring. Carried it daily since 2008 upon advice of an LEO at the range after he saw my accuracy with it (with ATS Sights) compared to a Glock 19, XD 45. Taurus PT99 ; Taurus SLIM 9m' Keltec PF9; Keltec P11, and several 380s,
I also bought a Glock 30S Slim Feame Slim Slide about the size of a Glock 26 and put the ATS sights on it, but have not bought more Guide Rod lasers, I did put a GREEN laser on the XD 45, but not really putting lasers on anything nowadays I tried lasers in the 1980s and 19990s, when they were super outrageous prices, IMHO they're great for installing sights to sight in ATS sights, but not that useful most of the time.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

jkurtz wrote:I have one. It was already installed on a Glock 19 I purchased from a family member. It has been reliable and I have not had any malfunctions related to it. Personally, I believe lasers on weapons are of more limited utility than most people think. It is often faster to pick up your sights than it is to find a red or green dot down range. Also, this particular laser is not adjustable, so point of aim is not necessarily going to be point of impact and you can't zero it to any specific range. It might be useful to get a rough estimate of where your round might impact if you find yourself in an awkward position in which you can't actually use your sights. If it is super cheap, then I suppose it doesn't hurt to pick it up, but it is not something I would have considered if it did not come with my pistol.
NotRPB wrote:I have one. Two actually.
One on a Taurus PT99 another on a Glock 26

The Taurus I used in about 2008 to qualify for the CHL, and Lasers aren't allowed for that qualification test, and the red dot wasn't visible outdooors in daytime anyway, replaced batteries in about 2011 or 2012 and they're still good.

The Glock 26 one I used to sight in my Advantage Tactical sights, (No need for a Laser after installing those sights using orange rear and yellow front) http://www.advantagetactical.com/freque ... questions/ then I replaced batteries, and really never used it, batteries are dead again, I should probably remove the batteries, I like the guide rod and spring. Carried it daily since 2008 upon advice of an LEO at the range after he saw my accuracy with it (with ATS Sights) compared to a Glock 19, XD 45. Taurus PT99 ; Taurus SLIM 9m' Keltec PF9; Keltec P11, and several 380s,
I also bought a Glock 30S Slim Feame Slim Slide about the size of a Glock 26 and put the ATS sights on it, but have not bought more Guide Rod lasers, I did put a GREEN laser on the XD 45, but not really putting lasers on anything nowadays I tried lasers in the 1980s and 19990s, when they were super outrageous prices, IMHO they're great for installing sights to sight in ATS sights, but not that useful most of the time.
Thanks guys for the feedback.
jkurtz - I know the laser is non adjustable, was yours close to POI at typical SD ranges?
NotRPB - You said you used it to sight in your G26 sights so I assume it shot true to POI.

chamberc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chamberc »

puma guy wrote:Anyone here have any experience with the Laser Max Guide spring guide lasers? I have done a little research and found a Glock 19 at a pawn shop that had one, but the batteries were dead. Reviews have been favorable but they were mostly professional writers. Just wondering if anyone has one. I'm considering one for my wife's G42.
I have one in my bedside XD(M) .40 S&W. It was dead on at 50 feet at the range and is 100% reliable so far.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

chamberc wrote:
puma guy wrote:Anyone here have any experience with the Laser Max Guide spring guide lasers? I have done a little research and found a Glock 19 at a pawn shop that had one, but the batteries were dead. Reviews have been favorable but they were mostly professional writers. Just wondering if anyone has one. I'm considering one for my wife's G42.
I have one in my bedside XD(M) .40 S&W. It was dead on at 50 feet at the range and is 100% reliable so far.
Thanks for the report. :thumbs2:

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

at 20 to 50 feet, like inside the house, real accurate, yes, used it to sight in my Advantage Tactical "make a triangle" sights can't see a laser's red dot outdoors in sunlight.

jkurtz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jkurtz »

puma guy wrote: Thanks guys for the feedback.
jkurtz - I know the laser is non adjustable, was yours close to POI at typical SD ranges?
For me, the POA and POI are the same at about 10 feet. Anything further than that and the POA starts rising above the POI. It already sounds like there is some variance since other members here are stating that theirs are accurate at further ranges. I do not know anyone else that owns one so I am not sure if there are any cases where the POA is left or right, rather than up and down, from POI.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

jkurtz wrote:
puma guy wrote: Thanks guys for the feedback.
For me, the POA and POI are the same at about 10 feet. Anything further than that and the POA starts rising above the POI. It already sounds like there is some variance since other members here are stating that theirs are accurate at further ranges. I do not know anyone else that owns one so I am not sure if there are any cases where the POA is left or right, rather than up and down, from POI.

I should clarify ...

What I did is install the guide rod laser, then installed my Advantage tactical sights using all the shims under front sight to make both close to accurate at the 20 to 40 feet-ish distance range I decided I'd probably be actually using the gun at a maximum, during a defensive situation. I don't think I'd normally be defensively shooting animal or critter or whatever, at a farther distance whether indoors or out. I aim with the ATS sights, the laser's batteries died in the Glock because the thingy you pull down to disassemble a Glock is longer than the stock Glock one , it's the switch that turns on the laser and holsters kept turning laser on... besides, I prefer my ATS sights to anything relying on batteries or lighting conditions. A bore sight laser would have worked as well for me to sight in my ATS sights, and I could have used a bore sight on more firearms.

I have red "grip activated" lasers on a glock 19 and a north American arms .380... but honestly I sort of outgrew Laser use.
Tech support... a bad guy is in my house, can you overnight me those batteries?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”