Anybody daily carry a single action revolver?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Armybrat
Posts in topic: 2

Anybody daily carry a single action revolver?

Post by Armybrat »

If I could find a decent & reasonably priced shoulder rig, I'd consider carrying my new New Vaquero .357 under a windbreaker jacket:

ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anybody daily carry a single action revolver?

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

Maybe if I had a Wayback Machine to go back to 1865 or so.

That's a good looking pistol.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Nice looking pistol. Not very practical for SD. Mc Cloud was a TV series.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Here's the thing about single action revolvers....... when double action pistols became commonly available, people started carrying those. When the broom handle Mauser 9mm came on the scene, you started seeing those in old west. When the 1911 arrived on the scene, people started carrying those too. There is a reason people abandoned their SA revolvers for DA revolvers, and then semiauto pistols. Sure, there continued to be old-timers who preferred their SA revolvers, but they became and are today the exception rather than the rule. The reason? The newer guns are much better self-defense pistols. I own 4 revolvers, all double action, but I carry a semiauto. If I had to carry a revolver, it would be a DA. It would be nice to own a nice SAA Colt or replica of one some day, but I would only carry such a pistol as a last resort, because I don't carry a gun to show off. I carry one for self defense.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The only SA that I have is Super Blackhawk. My dad gave it to me a couple of years ago. It was part of a matched set and he kept the other one. I will get it when he is gone :cryin I have only carried it once, last Halloween, mainly because of the SA. I'm not saying what I was dressed as :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

That would be a great BBQ gun.

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

Love the gun. Hate the idea. Love the gun.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I enjoy shooting SA revolvers, the ones I have fired, were very reliable and accurate. But like TAM said, I would not want one as a daily carry, for all of the reasons he mentioned. I know there are professional shooters, who can "fan" the hammers on them and get off all six rounds on target very quickly, but I'm not one of them. :fire
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

I shoot SA probably as much to more than my semi autos, and the Vaquero is my favorite. It fits the traditional bend in me towards any weapon. But, for as to carry for me, it would be a special day, a day in the woods or on the property, and in a complimentary holster tied to my hip and leg.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The idea of carrying a SA has a certain appeal, but just doesn't realistically fit the mold for a functional SD weapon, as many here have already pointed out. They are heavy and extremely slow to reload among other shortcomings. If a revolver is your choice I recommend a DA with speedloaders.
I had most of my firearms stolen in the mid 1990's and one of my handguns was recovered; a Ruger Blackhawk .357. A guy was caught red handed using it during the armed robbery of a convenience store. When confronted by cops with a semi-autos he was smart enough to realize he was not going to prevail and dropped it. It has a serious ding on the outside of the muzzle where it hit the concrete. It hadn't been converted, so if he had all six chambers loaded it would have discharged if the hammer had hit first. I can only imagine the outcome if that had happened, but I'm fairly certain he would have resembled a colander! :shock:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:I can only imagine the outcome if that had happened, but I'm fairly certain he would have resembled a colander! :shock:
Now that is funny! :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

To answer the OP's question, yes I believe that there is somebody in the world who daily carries a single action revolver. Just no one that I personally know.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:I enjoy shooting SA revolvers, the ones I have fired, were very reliable and accurate. But like TAM said, I would not want one as a daily carry, for all of the reasons he mentioned. I know there are professional shooters, who can "fan" the hammers on them and get off all six rounds on target very quickly, but I'm not one of them. :fire
I don't own one, but I have shot one. Well.....actually, I do own a cheap Roughrider .22 SA, but I almost never shoot it. But I have shot a SA in .45 LC. But even if you can fan the hammer and shoot accurately, your fastest reload is a second SA pistol. And if it is a true copy of the original Colt SAA design, you won't have six rounds on tap, you'll have five, since you'll want to carry it hammer down on an empty chamber.

......and then there's that reload problem.....

The only reason I'd ever carry such a pistol would be if I was out in the middle of nowhere, with very little chance of running into human predators, but some chance of running into 4-legged predators......in which case I wouldn't carry .357, but something like a .44 magnum, or a .454 Casull.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

I don't have a SA revolver but watch this guy

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

rotor wrote:I don't have a SA revolver but watch this guy

Yeah I saw him empty one pistol reholster, draw and fire his second pistol in something like 4 seconds. If I could shoot like that, I might carry one.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”