Handgun Ownership by a Person Under 21yrs.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Handgun Ownership by a Person Under 21yrs.

Post by OneGun »

I have a question for the members that are more familiar with Texas Handgun Laws. My 18 year-old son states that while he is unable to purchase a handgun or purchase ammunition for a handgun, he can legally own a handgun at the age of 18 years. He wants to build a handgun from an 80% polymer Glock kit that found online that he can purchase and complete the machining.

Can he own a handgun if he is unable to purchase a handgun and unable to purchase ammunition?

Thanks
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Handgun Ownership by a Person Under 21yrs.

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AFAIK, the answer is yes......but I have doubts about the legality of his carrying it, say under the MPA. When my son was between 18 & 21, he had a couple of pistols which I strongly urged him to not drive around with them, but he kept a Mossberg 500 in the trunk of his car, which he had no problem with nor did I.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bubba84

Post by bubba84 »

He can own a pistol at 18 and is fully covered under MPA. He just cant buy a pistol from an FFL dealer. He can buy any pistol he wants through a private transfer.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

bubba84 wrote:He can own a pistol at 18 and is fully covered under MPA. He just cant buy a pistol from an FFL dealer. He can buy any pistol he wants through a private transfer.
This is correct for Texas.

Similarly in MO you can now carry at 19 y/o as part of constitutional carry. I just recently sold a Glock 19 to a nice young gentleman who had just turned 20 y/o.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

bubba84 wrote:He can own a pistol at 18 and is fully covered under MPA. He just cant buy a pistol from an FFL dealer. He can buy any pistol he wants through a private transfer.
:iagree: unless Military.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

SigM4 wrote:
This is correct for Texas.

Similarly in MO you can now carry at 19 y/o as part of constitutional carry. I just recently sold a Glock 19 to a nice young gentleman who had just turned 20 y/o.
You can also get your CCW in MO at 19. I had a young man in class that had turned 19 three days earlier.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

The Annoyed Man wrote:AFAIK, the answer is yes......but I have doubts about the legality of his carrying it, say under the MPA. When my son was between 18 & 21, he had a couple of pistols which I strongly urged him to not drive around with them, but he kept a Mossberg 500 in the trunk of his car, which he had no problem with nor did I.
You were worried about him taking the "the ride" cuz of GFSZA of course.... :smilelol5:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScottDLS wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:AFAIK, the answer is yes......but I have doubts about the legality of his carrying it, say under the MPA. When my son was between 18 & 21, he had a couple of pistols which I strongly urged him to not drive around with them, but he kept a Mossberg 500 in the trunk of his car, which he had no problem with nor did I.
You were worried about him taking the "the ride" cuz of GFSZA of course.... :smilelol5:
Yeah, that's it.........because the Mossberg in the trunk was better for GFSZA! LOL

Actually, I used to worry about him getting rousted by the fuzz because he had a tendency to drive like a knucklehead back then when he thought his parents wouldn't find out about it. (His friends were helpful snitches......who liked my wife's cooking, and my willingness to take them shooting with us, so I always found out. ;-) ) I worried that he'd get pulled over for driving while teenaged, and maybe end up having to explain a handgun in the car to a less-than-understanding cop. I figured that a shotgun in the trunk was (A) maybe less alarming to a LEO because it wasn't immediately at hand, and (B) it would require my son to slow down and actually think about what he was doing before he could deploy a gun. At the same time, I wanted him to be able to exercise his rights, and to have the means of protection nearby if necessary. It just seemed to me at the time that a shotgun in the trunk of his white Crown Vic P71 ex-police car would be easier to explain than a pistol in the glove box.

It was less that I didn't trust him than it was that I had no faith that the world was an always fair and understanding place. Maybe I was being overly cautious.....I don't know. That said, I DID buy him a CHL class for Christmas just before he turned 21 in early January of that year.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Blackie

Post by Blackie »

OneGun wrote:I have a question for the members that are more familiar with Texas Handgun Laws. My 18 year-old son states that while he is unable to purchase a handgun or purchase ammunition for a handgun, he can legally own a handgun at the age of 18 years. He wants to build a handgun from an 80% polymer Glock kit that found online that he can purchase and complete the machining.

Can he own a handgun if he is unable to purchase a handgun and unable to purchase ammunition?

Thanks

If he is a veteran, or in the military, obtain an LTC (License to Carry) . I believe he has to be 18 to own a
handgun. It is kind of mixed up. he cannot purchase a handgun from an FFL (Federal law), but he can buy a handgun
from an individual at 18. You can probably purchase the kit, and gift it to him.

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

Blackie wrote:he cannot purchase a handgun from an FFL (Federal law), but he can buy a handgun
from an individual at 18. You can probably purchase the kit, and gift it to him.
No FFL is required. The teen can buy it himself. An 80% kit is, by definition, not a firearm.
"hic sunt dracones"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”