Recommendation on tactical training - DFW area

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 1

Recommendation on tactical training - DFW area

Post by mloamiller »

I'm looking for a tactical training class in the DFW area, not only to improve my skills but also to have some fun; a shoot-house would be great. I've done some research on the following groups/classes; does anyone have any experience with any of these, or another group/class they would recommend?
  • Critical Defense Group - Defensive Handgun 2, Advanced Handgun Skills

Extreme Tactics and Training Solutions - Handgun
    - seems rather basic; maybe not quite what I'm looking for?

Tac Pro - Advanced Pistol

Proactive Defense - Adaptive Pistol, Situational Pistol

Big Boar Tactical - Defensive Handgun, Tactical Combat Handgun
    - both classes have the same course description?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

comp73

Re: Recommendation on tactical training - DFW area

Post by comp73 »

I've taken classes from Critical Defense group, specifically the tactical carbine level 1 and defensive handgun level 1. They are both great classes and Mac is an awesome instructor. I would highly recommend him for any training needs you may have. It's been a year or 2 since my last class, but if I remember correctly, you have to take the level 1 course before Mac will allow you to take the level 2, Advanced Handgun, or Special Shooting situations. This goes for all his shooting classes, not just the ones for pistols. Another plus to consider, once you take a class, Mac will allow you to "redo" the range portion of the class during future sessions, provided he has extra spots available.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

equin

Post by equin »

I have no experience or association with them, but I believe TDSA in Ferris, about 30 minutes south of Dallas, offers training.
Ed

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

If you want smaller classes and more individualized instruction, I can highly recommend Phil Ryan at Texas Concealed Carry Institute: http://txconcealedcarry.com/

I will be happy to join you there anytime! :cheers2:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

dragun

Post by dragun »

Guys at proactive defense are pretty good. Good range and quality training. Certainly worth taking a class Another group you should consider, especially getting into advanced training is Hardwired tactical shooting or HITS. Darryl Bolke and Wayne Dobbs are two very accomplished and highly respected trainers.

b4aftr

Post by b4aftr »

I enjoyed lonestar protective solutions around Fort Worth.

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

In the DFW area, I recommend Steve Moses and Wayne Dobbs.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

http://www.firearmstrainingfortworth.com

Dynamic tactical training in handgun, rifle, and shotgun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

whiteflame59
Posts in topic: 2

Post by whiteflame59 »

Proactive Defense is a great location for training and practice. It's a club with reasonable memberships, but also allows public access. They have steel and paper target availability and allow you to practice pretty much anything you can do safely including, but not limited to, holster, movement, blockade/cover, transitions, and etc... The Situational pistol is their level 2 pistol class and Adaptive is their level 3 with Foundations being their level 1, but all 3 classes are excellent. I've been a member out there for about 3 years now and have nothing but good to say about them. TDSA was mentioned by someone else and that's another excellent range that's a club, but has very reasonable pricing and their training classes are conducted by Valkyrie Training Solutions. Finally, Consolidated Training Group offers a large variety of excellent classes at a very cool range. Their range is not public access so you have to take a class to work out there, but it's well worth it. They're also a little further out (Weatherford), but again, well worth the little extra drive.
There are no facts, only interpretations.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

whiteflame59 wrote:Proactive Defense is a great location for training and practice. It's a club with reasonable memberships, but also allows public access. They have steel and paper target availability and allow you to practice pretty much anything you can do safely including, but not limited to, holster, movement, blockade/cover, transitions, and etc... The Situational pistol is their level 2 pistol class and Adaptive is their level 3 with Foundations being their level 1, but all 3 classes are excellent. I've been a member out there for about 3 years now and have nothing but good to say about them. TDSA was mentioned by someone else and that's another excellent range that's a club, but has very reasonable pricing and their training classes are conducted by Valkyrie Training Solutions. Finally, Consolidated Training Group offers a large variety of excellent classes at a very cool range. Their range is not public access so you have to take a class to work out there, but it's well worth it. They're also a little further out (Weatherford), but again, well worth the little extra drive.

whiteflame59, I was going to welcome you to the forum, but I see you have been a member for a couple of years, don't wait so long between posts. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

whiteflame59
Posts in topic: 2

Post by whiteflame59 »

Jusme wrote:
whiteflame59 wrote:Proactive Defense is a great location for training and practice. It's a club with reasonable memberships, but also allows public access. They have steel and paper target availability and allow you to practice pretty much anything you can do safely including, but not limited to, holster, movement, blockade/cover, transitions, and etc... The Situational pistol is their level 2 pistol class and Adaptive is their level 3 with Foundations being their level 1, but all 3 classes are excellent. I've been a member out there for about 3 years now and have nothing but good to say about them. TDSA was mentioned by someone else and that's another excellent range that's a club, but has very reasonable pricing and their training classes are conducted by Valkyrie Training Solutions. Finally, Consolidated Training Group offers a large variety of excellent classes at a very cool range. Their range is not public access so you have to take a class to work out there, but it's well worth it. They're also a little further out (Weatherford), but again, well worth the little extra drive.

whiteflame59, I was going to welcome you to the forum, but I see you have been a member for a couple of years, don't wait so long between posts. :tiphat:
Thanks, yeah I use the forums more to learn for myself than to post, but this happened to be something I knew a little about.
There are no facts, only interpretations.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”