The 1911 plunge

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The 1911 plunge

Post by flechero »

swilkes wrote:Not trying to steal anyone's thread but I too am in thee market for a 1911. But I have it narrowed Down to a STI LAWMAN or a KIMBER SUPER CARRY CUSTOM HD.

I have held and shot the kimber but have yet to hold
Touch or shot a STI.

Maybe there is someone around the DFW area that
Can let me shoot there's?

I am not willing to spends $1200+ on a gun I have not ever touched.
I have owned several Kimbers and still have a Ultra CDP II... and currently own an STI Guardian... I'm just down the road from STI so I've handled all of them (including the Lawman series) several times. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that those to guns are not in the same league. when I FINALLY got the STI I was so mad that I hadn't bought one years earlier!

Don't get me wrong, the Kimbers are good guns... but when looking honestly in the mirror, the STI's are truly in a different class. I don't shoot the Kimber anymore.

ETA: Not sure what you want it for so the Kimber may be the perfect gun.... not trying to talk you out of it,or into the STI. I just know that many people (before they ever handle higher end guns) have trouble justifying them.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:In your price range, don't overlook Rock Island Armory pistols, imported from the Philippines by Armscor.

They're very well made and include a lifetime warranty.
Do they still use odd-sized front-sight dovetails?
That I do not know. Mine have staked front sights. On the compact, I had the sights replaced with Trijicon night sights. Easy as can be. (Of course, I had someone else do the work for me. :mrgreen:)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/35757 ... tium-green
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pawpaw wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:In your price range, don't overlook Rock Island Armory pistols, imported from the Philippines by Armscor.

That I do not know. Mine have staked front sights. On the compact, I had the sights replaced with Trijicon night sights. Easy as can be. (Of course, I had someone else do the work for me. :mrgreen:
I just remember AndyC having the devil's own time to try and get a new front sight to fit the dovetail on his RIA. I believe he was ultimately successful, but it was more involved than just a casual sight swap.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

That I do not know. Mine have staked front sights. On the compact, I had the sights replaced with Trijicon night sights. Easy as can be. (Of course, I had someone else do the work for me. :mrgreen:
I just remember AndyC having the devil's own time to try and get a new front sight to fit the dovetail on his RIA. I believe he was ultimately successful, but it was more involved than just a casual sight swap.
I remember. Advanced Tactical (where RIA firearms go for warranty work) now sells the tactical sights. Judging by the prices, I'm sure they're not night sights.

https://advancedtactical.com/products/p ... 11-sights/

EDIT: I take that back. The site says they ARE night sights.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

If you are gonna have one, why not one of these?

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Bitter Clinger wrote:If you are gonna have one, why not one of these?

There earlier ones had a much nicer bevertail and a few other changes.
Extremely reliable on a 3" barrel

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Bitter Clinger wrote:If you are gonna have one, why not one of these?

Show off.

rentz

Post by rentz »

if i remember right, the lower end STI was actually made by armscor (to sti specs) and assembled by STI

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

rentz wrote:if i remember right, the lower end STI was actually made by armscor (to sti specs) and assembled by STI
Yes, Armscor provided the frame & slide for the Spartan.

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Did Kimber ever get their quality control and customer service problems corrected? They look great in the store but all the horror stories have me scared of em.

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

glbedd53 wrote:Did Kimber ever get their quality control and customer service problems corrected? They look great in the store but all the horror stories have me scared of em.
I have heard those same stories but I just purchased a Kimber Ultra Raptor .45 3" about a month ago and it has been 100% reliable with Hollow points and FMJ. It is unbelievable accurate! The Raptor series comes out of the Kimber Custom Shop and to be honest I don't know if that makes a difference.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Yep - it's so close, it's irritating; they could have just done it right first time around. I had to get a friend to mill 10-thou off the top of the slide, but it would have worked with 5-thou:
which model was that, Andy?

I put a dovetail front sight on & didn't have that problem (CS model), but it may have originally been staked rather than improperly dovetailed.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Beiruty »

Is it worth the extra money? It is the buyer who will decide...
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/670422471
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I like the early style colt defender look a little better. This one also sports colt custom shop porting Picked this one up not long ago previous owner left the idiot mark.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”