1911 Issue

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

1911 Issue

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I field stripped my Dan Wesson CCO last night for cleaning and when I pulled the barrel out the barrel link and pin fell on my bench. I was able to realign the barrel link and re-insert the retaining pin to get it reassembled after cleaning. But I am concerned that this may be a safety or reliability issue.

Is it safe to leave it as-is? I don't think there is room for the pin to fall out during normal operation, so I think I should be fine, but I want to make sure. If not, then I will call CZ customer service.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 1911 Issue

Post by Rex B »

Kuhnhausen doesn't say much about link pin fit, except "Check link pin hole - if oversize, replace the barrel."
The pin should not fall out. None of my 1911s, including one that is 100 years old, have a loose link pin.
It's not so much a safety or reliability issue as an accuracy issue.
As you say, the pin can't go anywhere. It could score up the side of the lug channel over time, and the same process may wear the pin or pin hole. But you don't want any unnecessary movement there.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

AndyC wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:I field stripped my Dan Wesson CCO last night for cleaning and when I pulled the barrel out the barrel link and pin fell on my bench. I was able to realign the barrel link and re-insert the retaining pin to get it reassembled after cleaning. But I am concerned that this may be a safety or reliability issue.

Is it safe to leave it as-is? I don't think there is room for the pin to fall out during normal operation, so I think I should be fine, but I want to make sure. If not, then I will call CZ customer service.
Set the pin in place, take a steel punch and ding an edge of the hole on each side to stake it. It doesn't need to be much, just a small upset on either side'll do it - and much faster than waiting for CZ.
Thanks. I will try that.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

You can make it a lot easier to do by using an automatic center punch. No hammer required, so two hands are enough.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Pawpaw wrote:You can make it a lot easier to do by using an automatic center punch. No hammer required, so two hands are enough.
This is what is so great about this Forum. I learns something new all of the time. This is a great tip! I am picking one up just to have in my tool box

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Have you spoken with DW on this issue?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

patterson

Post by patterson »

I wuld definately send it back in

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

patterson wrote:I would definately send it back in
This^^ At least call them. It's a Dan Wesson, not a cheap gun.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Rex B wrote:
patterson wrote:I would definately send it back in
This^^ At least call them. It's a Dan Wesson, not a cheap gun.
I may give them a call. Agreed that it is not a cheap gun.

This must not be my month for guns. The Sphinx that I just got a couple months ago decided to completely stop functioning in double action mode as well. Looks like something is broken in the internals for that gun, so I will definitely need to send it in. Of course Kriss USA is giving me grief about paying for the shipping cost...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”