Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Sig 226 debate...

Post by newTexan »

Hi guys,

So I'm thinking about getting a Sig 226, but not sure which variant to buy. The Mk25 (aka "Navy") has a great reputation but it's big "selling point" seems to be that it's associated with the Navy SEALS and I have about as much to do with the SEALs as I do the moon landing. On the other hand, there's the Legion variant which gets great reviews but from what I hear seems to have had some issues with the finish.

Anybody have any recommendations or more info they'd care to share?

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sig 226 debate...

Post by allisji »

How do you intend to use this weapon? Open Carry, Concealed Carry, Car Carry, Home Defense or all of the above?

Edit: You almost can't go wrong with any variation of the P226, however, it is a large handgun, and I think you should look at the Sig M11-A1s and Sig P229s before you get a P226.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

The SIG P226 is a great gun as all SIG's are and in my opinion the MK25 is the best of all. The SEAL marketing logo aside, it is about the corrosion resistance and the standars night sights with 3 magazines in the original box.
Holsters are available nearly everywhere you look and if you deside to add a big, mighty .45 you can add a P227 and use the same holster as for the P226 models.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

The Mk25 gets the internals coated to be more resistant to saltwater, etc.

Legions are nice.

Do you like a bigger beavertail or not? If so, I'd look at an Enhanced Elite or Elite before the Legion and save a few bucks. Also, SRT as a trigger option is nice over the standard DA/SA. You can also go Single Action Only if you're looking for something different. All depends on what you want and what the budget it is.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I'm with Scott B here. The Legion is nice, but I don't think you get your bang for the proverbial $ there. A nice stainless Elite is my sweet spot for price/features. That said even a plain Jane 226 is a great gun. As a matter of fact, my only remaining 226 is just that. Basic gun that I added NS and the SRT to myself. Beyond that, you really don't need anything (except more mags and lots of ammo).
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

patterson

Post by patterson »

I have the nitron with nite sites and never a issue but if i would have got the stainless elite it probBly wuld sit in safe

Topic author
newTexan

Post by newTexan »

I went ahead and got the mk25 as the guy gave me a really nice deal on it. Wouldn't be surprised if a Legion followed me home later on this year though. Sig 226 is a sweet gun no matter what "flavor".

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

newTexan wrote:I went ahead and got the mk25 as the guy gave me a really nice deal on it. Wouldn't be surprised if a Legion followed me home later on this year though. Sig 226 is a sweet gun no matter what "flavor".
It is a great gun. I have both the MK25 and the standard railed version. Both have been 100% reliable and are extremely accurate. I would recommend the SRT which is a $45 investment and pretty easy to install. That makes rapid double taps extremely easy. About the only con I have found on this gun is that it is a bit big for concealed carry. But it is a great HD or car gun, and is also a great choice if you don't mind a bit of printing while carrying. FWIW, I have noticed no difference between the MK25 and the "standard" version while at the range.

I also have a P226 X5 and I do notice a difference with that gun. But we are talking about a completely different price point there, obviously.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

newTexan wrote:I went ahead and got the mk25 as the guy gave me a really nice deal on it. Wouldn't be surprised if a Legion followed me home later on this year though. Sig 226 is a sweet gun no matter what "flavor".
:cheers2:

It's hard to stop at just one.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

I've got the MK25 and it's a real tack driver. Shot a 249 on my chl requal only the second time I shot it. Only drawback was finding a holster that it would fit.
CHL since 01/26/09

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

My duty weapon is the MK25 and I absolutely love it. I've yet to change anything and doubt I ever will.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”