Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Say Hello...

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

oljames3 wrote:
Have you replaced the sights? I'm going to install Dawson Precision sights. Until I get that done, I've blackened out the rear white dots and painted the front dot red. I've found that to be an acceptable improvement for now. The Dawson Precision sights have a more narrow front blade with colored fiber optic. Less than $100.
I haven't replaced them, and hadn't given it much thought yet. For stock sights, they are decent out of the box, and I haven't gotten into big customization on any of my guns yet. I'll probably use these for the foreseeable future, but I definitely will be looking at some fiber optic ones in the future. Compared to the Taurus, it's incredibly nice to have a market out for the pistol instead of magazine shortages...

(Maybe these guys? https://dawsonprecision.com/smith-and-w ... t-310-036/)
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Say Hello...

Post by oljames3 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
oljames3 wrote:
Have you replaced the sights? I'm going to install Dawson Precision sights. Until I get that done, I've blackened out the rear white dots and painted the front dot red. I've found that to be an acceptable improvement for now. The Dawson Precision sights have a more narrow front blade with colored fiber optic. Less than $100.
I haven't replaced them, and hadn't given it much thought yet. For stock sights, they are decent out of the box, and I haven't gotten into big customization on any of my guns yet. I'll probably use these for the foreseeable future, but I definitely will be looking at some fiber optic ones in the future. Compared to the Taurus, it's incredibly nice to have a market out for the pistol instead of magazine shortages...

(Maybe these guys? https://dawsonprecision.com/smith-and-w ... t-310-036/)
I agree that there is no rush to change the sights. Other than the 3-dot, which I fixed, they work well out of the box.
I'll be getting the sights below. The rear sight slants forward to facilitate one-handed charging of the pistol and only the front is fiber optic.
https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-prec ... tic-front/

This arrangement is similar to what I am using now; black rear and red dot front. Fiber optic makes it even better and the rear sight slant makes it even easier to use my belt to manipulate the slide one-handed.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”