S&W K Frame OK with .38 Spl +P Loads?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

S&W K Frame OK with .38 Spl +P Loads?

Post by Crash »

My wife has an older, nickel plated, K-frame S&W .38 Special with a 4" barrel. The barrel is marked "38 S&W SPECIAL CTG." There is no "+P" after this marking. The serial number is 58304 with "BIC" stamped underneath the number. Is it safe to fire 38 Spl +Ps in this gun?

Thanks,

Crash

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: S&W K Frame OK with .38 Spl +P Loads?

Post by cmgee67 »

I’d get ahold of S&W and give them your serial # and find out everything you need to know! Good luck! Or google or YouTube it

couzin

Post by couzin »

Somebody will correct me if wrong, but I think SW started using model numbers on their handguns in 1957. If you have only a serial number it could predate 1957. If so, I would not risk the plus P ammo in it. Probably will not have a serious issue, maybe just cause some damage to components or timing, but a steady diet of plus p might cause a catastrophic failure. I don't know about the BIC mark, maybe it was in Britain at some point. The BNP mark was the British armory marking denoting British Nitro Proofing. Don't know.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

couzin wrote:Somebody will correct me if wrong, but I think SW started using model numbers on their handguns in 1957. If you have only a serial number it could predate 1957. If so, I would not risk the plus P ammo in it. Probably will not have a serious issue, maybe just cause some damage to components or timing, but a steady diet of plus p might cause a catastrophic failure. I don't know about the BIC mark, maybe it was in Britain at some point. The BNP mark was the British armory marking denoting British Nitro Proofing. Don't know.
couzin,

Thanks for the info and recommendation--I appreciate it.

Crash

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cmgee67 wrote:I’d get ahold of S&W and give them your serial # and find out everything you need to know! Good luck! Or google or YouTube it
What he said. ^^

I’ve done this with a Remington rifle I own. I sent an email to their customer service department with the serial number and model of the rifle, asking how my barrel was rifled, and what the correct twist rate was (their website and catalog listed two different twists for the same rifle model). A week or so later, I got an emailed reply with the information.

I am sure that a S&W CSR can tell you by looking up the serial number whether or not the pistol is safe for +P ammo. They can also tell you what year it was manufactured, and if there is a model# to it, what that might be.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Year made? Made of carbon steel?

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Rule of thumb is if it has a model number it is rated plus p. I don't have my standard catalog (scsw) with me, however I am rather sure of it.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

:iagree:
wheelgun1958 wrote:Rule of thumb is if it has a model number it is rated plus p. I don't have my standard catalog (scsw) with me, however I am rather sure of it.
That is my understanding also.

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Crash wrote:My wife has an older, nickel plated, K-frame S&W .38 Special with a 4" barrel. The barrel is marked "38 S&W SPECIAL CTG." There is no "+P" after this marking. The serial number is 58304 with "BIC" stamped underneath the number. Is it safe to fire 38 Spl +Ps in this gun?

Thanks,

Crash
I'm thinking that if it was made before +P was in widespread use, it's not compatible unless it's 38/44 rated.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

I have a 10-5 tapered barrel, and was wondering the same thing

philbo
Banned

Post by philbo »

From the 2014 S&W manual I had on the computer:

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety built into some revolvers and could therefore be DANGEROUS. This ammunition should not be used in Smith & Wesson medium (K frame) revolvers manufactured prior to 1958. Such pre-1958 medium (K-frame) revolvers can be identified by the absence of a model number stamped inside the yoke cut of the frame (i.e., the area of the frame exposed when the cylinder is in the open position)."

If it has a model # on a K frame it's generally approved for +p. If it lacks a model number you can still shoot +p in limited quantities, but the question becomes why? Standard pressure loads will do a decent job

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”