NFA tax stamp and your local TX gun range?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Re: NFA tax stamp and your local TX gun range?

Post by ScottDLS »

Abraham wrote:"Someone went to a gun range, and was offended that someone was wearing too much gun gear? :???: Did they think they were walking into Chuck-E-Cheese?"

'Who' decides how much gun gear is too much?'
Andrew "Nobody needs a 30 rd clip foh deeehh hunting" Cuomo, of course.... :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Lena
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lena »

I was asked for papers 1 time on my BAR and S&W 76 along time ago was the only time about 8 years ago I think. I had a friend over with his MG34 and the Sheriff's deputy came out per a neighbor's call but no issue as on my property and all legally owned he even fired a few rounds.

The range mentioned was Gibsons in Mesquite Tx on Lawson road.

That was the only time I was ever asked.
Stay Safe

superstar
Posts in topic: 4

Post by superstar »

Thanks for the info, I like reading about store's that think they have the same legal power as the federal institutions. I just boycott them and with passion I'll get family and friends to do so as well. There are plenty of other establishments that you can support.

superstar

Post by superstar »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
extremist wrote: Just like the requirement that we as employees have to carry IWB, no OWB carry.
James
My curiosity compels me to ask what's the rationale behind this one? Cosmetic uniformity, like all employees wearing a company logo shirt?
I would like to read about their pseudo-ATF governing powers.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
extremist wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
azwe wrote:Is there a requirement for you to bring your original tax stamp to the range when shooting a suppressor, SBR, or other NFA item? Today is the second time I've been told by a friend that they were turned away from a range because they only had a copy of their paperwork. My gun range has never asked me for the tax stamp or even a copy of it. I have copies in my range bag and one on my phone. Original is in the safe tucked away for safe keeping.

Obviously their range = their rules. I get it. But am I missing something? One range said that you could go to jail if you didn't have the original tax stamp in your possession at the range.
Must be a new trend. Just yesterday, I went to Shoot Point Blank in North Richland Hills for the first time, to try out my new pistol suppressor. At the register before entering the range, they asked me if I needed to rent any guns, and I said, no I brought my own and was just there to try out a new suppressor. Nobody cared.

Later, while at my shooting lane, the RSO came over to me, and asked me if this was my first time there, to which I said yes. Then he said, “do you have a stamp for that thing?” I said yes, and he asked me to produce it. I was shocked.....nobody has ever done that to me before, but I had paid for my hour of shooting, and wanted to get back at it without getting into an argument by telling him to go pound sand. So I got the copy out of my case and showed it to him, he thanked me, and I went back to shooting.

A couple of lanes over, there were two guys shooting several handguns and a 9mm SBR - all suppressed. One of them was apparently a Glock employee, which I discovered as we chatted briefly. After the RSO left, the Glock guy came over to me and asked incredulously, “did he just ask you to show your stamp?” When I said yes, he asked “what the heck for?” I said it beat the crap out of me, but that I complied so that I could get it over with and get back to shooting. He said, “that’s bovine manure!” To which I agreed. Nobody had asked him to produce his stamps.

On Monday, I will be sending an email to their management.
Chris, that is the policy at ShootPointBlank, it's in the range rules that you signed when you bought the waiver. I was teaching the LTC class last night but saw Dave T. come in with his Glock Gen5 shirt on and said hey. Didn't know he was shooting any NFA items. I would have said Hi if I would have seen you also. But the RSO should have asked him too, even though it may have annoyed him. But it's really not a big deal (at least to me) I always carry my Form 4 copies with me for the items I have. Go ahead and write to managment - they won't change it. Just the policy set by Tom the owner in Ohio. Just like the requirement that we as employees have to carry IWB, no OWB carry. I don't like it either, but if I want to work there, I live with it.

I think our range is pretty cool, RSOs are generally not annoying - I know I'm not when I'm on duty :lol: Clean, big and well lit.

James
Well, his property, his rules, but he has no more logical reason to demand to see a stamp than he has to demand that the shooter prove he is lawfully in possession of the guns he brought with him. That is the proper purview of law enforcement, and nobody else.

I won’t be back.
They should probably check the license and registration for the vehicle you drive there to make sure it is legal. And if you bring your kids maybe they can require you to produce a birth certificate along with your ID just to make sure that you really are their parent and didn't kidnap the child.

This sounds like a range owner who wants to play LEO.

apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apostate »

superstar wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
extremist wrote: Just like the requirement that we as employees have to carry IWB, no OWB carry.
James
My curiosity compels me to ask what's the rationale behind this one? Cosmetic uniformity, like all employees wearing a company logo shirt?
:headscratch
Private sector employers are generally allowed to implement dress codes for their workplaces.

superstar

Post by superstar »

apostate wrote:
superstar wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
James
Private sector employers are generally allowed to implement dress codes for their workplaces.
I think you missed the point above. Their requirements to carry IWB, no OWB. I think we can all agree that OWB is much faster to acquire the pistol than IWB. Wouldn't you want your employees to have that little edge over getting their pistol faster and be able to defend themselves? I mean you are at a gun range/store, if you need your employees to hide their tools you might as well open a bakery shop and put up .06 & .07 signs.

extremist
Posts in topic: 8

Post by extremist »

Good news - my suggestion was accepted and acted on immediately and effective today no more asking for your papers at our range. :cool:

So sorry for the previous issues but it is no longer one.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I can see the point of the IWB requirement. That is an employee dress code / uniform issue. Personally, as a customer, I am more comforted if all of the employees are wearing guns I can see (as opposed to concealed carry), but I really don't care if they are IWB or OWB. If I wanted to standardize as an employer, I would probably buy identical, leather holsters and then issue those to my employees as part of their uniform. Just like a shirt with the company logo, etc. I would make them all OWB holsters just to avoid causing any back issues for my folks. Maybe even put a concho on there with the company logo.

I also understand that newer shooters can be intimidated by walking into a range the first time. But from my experience as a newer shooter years ago, and with taking new shooters to the range on average once every 2-3 months or so, this is usually more a function of the employees attitude than what they are wearing. Some range employees can feel like you are talking to a LEO who has just stopped you for a traffic violation. This is one reason why I like the range where I am a member (Boyert). They are just "country club" enough to relax newer shooters without going all out and having Latte's and massage stations. If the concern is with not scaring off newer shooters, then train your employees to be friendlier. And if an employees wants to go Rambo with camo paint and a bandolier of .50 cal ammo, that can be addressed with a 1:1 conversation from their manager as opposed to a one size fits all dress code. That employee would probably also be violating the "be friendly" rule, so the conversation should be about more than just what they are wearing.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

extremist,

Kudos to you!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:extremist,

Kudos to you!
:iagree:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

extremist wrote:Good news - my suggestion was accepted and acted on immediately and effective today no more asking for your papers at our range. :cool:

So sorry for the previous issues but it is no longer one.

James
Excellent! Thank you for doing that.

Now maybe they can give you guys a break on holster choices. :bigear:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

superstar wrote:I think you missed the point above. Their requirements to carry IWB, no OWB. I think we can all agree that OWB is much faster to acquire the pistol than IWB. Wouldn't you want your employees to have that little edge over getting their pistol faster and be able to defend themselves?
That was the concern that prompted my question. If range staff are allowed to be armed, it's generally for security purposes. In that case, wouldn't you want to allow the employees to carry WHATEVER and HOWEVER that makes them most effective in placing that first shot on the target rapidly. So why specify a carry method that adds at minimum 0.5 sec to their draw? And probably more if the individual is not someone who carrys IWB on their own....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apostate »

superstar wrote:
apostate wrote:
superstar wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
James
I think you missed the point above. Their requirements to carry IWB, no OWB. I think we can all agree that OWB is much faster to acquire the pistol than IWB. Wouldn't you want your employees to have that little edge over getting their pistol faster and be able to defend themselves?
You're right. I completely missed how a dress code equates to "pseudo-ATF governing powers" and, to be honest, I'm still missing the connection.

I also disagree with the conclusion that OWB is inherently much faster than IWB, given comparable cover garments or lack thereof. However, I'm willing to look at the data with an open mind if you can share it.

extremist
Posts in topic: 8

Post by extremist »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
superstar wrote:I think you missed the point above. Their requirements to carry IWB, no OWB. I think we can all agree that OWB is much faster to acquire the pistol than IWB. Wouldn't you want your employees to have that little edge over getting their pistol faster and be able to defend themselves?
That was the concern that prompted my question. If range staff are allowed to be armed, it's generally for security purposes. In that case, wouldn't you want to allow the employees to carry WHATEVER and HOWEVER that makes them most effective in placing that first shot on the target rapidly. So why specify a carry method that adds at minimum 0.5 sec to their draw? And probably more if the individual is not someone who carrys IWB on their own....
To me it's strictly a comfort thing. I'm not any slower with IWB vs OWB, it's just not as comfortable since I'm not a skinny 25 year old. Don't have that big of a gut, but it's just more comfortable to OWB carry.

james
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”