Suggestions for insurance to cover my firearms ??

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
texas yankee
Posts in topic: 3

Suggestions for insurance to cover my firearms ??

Post by texas yankee »

I'm looking for suggestions on insurance to cover my personal firearms - I don't want a firearms safe(s), and I don't wanna hide them inside the wall or bury them in a cache of some sort - I just want them adequately insured. My current homeowners policy covers my firearms (replacement value) without any requirement for an inventory with serial numbers shared with the insurance company - my agent gave me a heads up that the firearms policy is going to be changing in a year or so, requiring a listing with descriptions and serial numbers shared with the insurance company, along with the firearms being handled separately from the rest of the household's personal property - perhaps a separate rider.

I don't have any firearms that I'd classify as collectable or irreplaceable, just a bunch of guns that I've acquired over the years - all I'm looking for is to be made whole, financially, if the guns are stolen. I have measures in place to secure my home, but it's not a fortress.

Any suggestions for a homeowner's policy that's more friendly towards firearms, or a separate policy that'll give me what I want? I'm already looking at the NRA's Armscare Plus policy. THANKS!

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Suggestions for insurance to cover my firearms ??

Post by C-dub »

I was thinking about the NRA as I was reading your post and then get down to the end to find you're already checking that out. :thumbs2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

In addition to the NRA insurance, I also saw Sportsman's Insurance Agency - they charge $1.25 per $100 of insured value - in my situation, they'd charge a bit more than the NRA's ArmsCare Plus - I read of a few bad reviews on the ArmsCare Plus, as far as actually getting reimbursed if firearms were stolen, so I'm looking for alternatives.
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

flechero

Post by flechero »

NRA insurance is free if you activate it with membership- up to some amount. When I looked at State Farm and ASI (progressive) the personal articles writers were pretty cheap and covers loss or damage inside or outside of the home. It was the best value per dollar that I found.

Regardless of which insurance you choose- a safe is still a very good idea. It should be considered the first line of defense and insurance. :tiphat:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Another vote for NRA. Best deal I have found.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Topic author
texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

Thanks for the responses so far - I guess I should expand the scope of my question a bit, adding a request for feedback from people that have had experiences (pro or con) making a claim on their firearms insurance policy - buying a policy is easy - claims are a whole 'nother deal.
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

function12

Post by function12 »

I use them for firearms and collectibles and have been very happy. I have not had to turn in a claim but the reviews online seem to be positive.
Last edited by function12 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Super Life Benefactor Member
PSC Member

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

IIRC, there is a basic level of coverage with NRA membership, but it isn't really very much. I have NRA Armscare and luckily have not had to use it. My OLD homeowners used to consider firearms just another part of your personal property and insured them lumped in with all your other stuff. A couple of years ago, they changed and unless you itemized them on a Personal Articles addition, firearms would only be covered up to $1,500 maximum for combined loss.

Under my OLD insurance, I had three firearms stolen from a hotel room in 1985 and they paid right up when I presented the police report and documentation of what they were worth (S&W Model 19, Charter Arms Undercover .38, and very sadly a S&W M-1917). The $1,500 would have covered the loss AT THAT TIME, but certainly would be quite short today.

Now I have the $1,500 on my NEW Homeowners (that is what MANY of them have for not itemizing) plus the Armscare with NRA for an amount that would cover most of my collection. Even Armscare requires data if an individual item exceeds a certain dollar amount.

As in anything with insurance, read the fine print (all of it), understand it, and then compare different vendors.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

almostfree

Post by almostfree »

I use Eastern Insurance / Historic Firearms Insurance: https://www.easterninsurance.com/insura ... c-firearms

I used to use the NRA policy, but read a lot of good reviews about Eastern Insurance and switched. They are much cheaper. As with the NRA insurance, they do not require a list of your firearms and serial numbers, except for individual items $10K or over (don't quote me on that but it is something like that).

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I have germania home insurance, firearms are covered along with the other contents, thankfully have never had to use it.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

almostfree wrote:I use Eastern Insurance / Historic Firearms Insurance: https://www.easterninsurance.com/insura ... c-firearms

I used to use the NRA policy, but read a lot of good reviews about Eastern Insurance and switched. They are much cheaper. As with the NRA insurance, they do not require a list of your firearms and serial numbers, except for individual items $10K or over (don't quote me on that but it is something like that).
I got a quote from them a year or so back. $125 per year for $35K coverage.
I don't think they require a list or SNs, just a $ amount to cover.
I don't think you can beat that.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”